A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th August 2016, 09:50 PM

Default EGR Cooler Problem

I have had EGR insufficient flow errors for over a year and they have got a bit more frequent. I thought I'd begin giving it a clean today and it is a pig of a job.
It has done nearly 250,000miles and so I expected it to be blocked with coke/soot.
I was using this as a guide:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...GR-Valve/page3

I removed the upper manifold and throttle.
The throttle was a bit dirty but much cleaner than I expected
I then removed both lower manifolds (mainly to access two bolts, otherwise just the left side would do) Many items need to be removed to get to all the bolts and even then it is difficult and requires an assortment of bits.
The lower manifolds were also cleaner than I expected and then I saw from labels on them they were replaced along with the flap motors in late 2010 just before I bought the car. = Thanks to previous owner.

I removed the EGR vacuum mechanism which uses XZN socket - thankfully had a set from removing the seat to do bluetooth. Upon removing the EGR mechanism from the EGR cooler flap mechanism, I found a loose plate inside about 25mm diameter. It was just laid there and was fretted around the edge and had obviously been bouncing around. I checked all 6 intake runner flaps were intact which they were and then realised it is the EGR cooler bypass flap and it had come off the shaft and would move around and sometimes block EGR flow. It is not obvious how it was fastened to the shaft, but there are no corresponding screw-holes on the shaft for the holes in the plate, so I think it was spot-welded. I also found the shaft rather sloppy in it's bushings and this must have contributed to the flap breaking off.

So not what I expected but a new cooler bypass mechanism 059131063D (20 on diagram) is on it's way and I will strip down more on Sunday and hopefully clean and see what gaskets and screws need replacing.

Last edited by snapdragon; 23rd April 2020 at 08:19 AM.