A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Generic A8 / S8 forums > A8 / S8 Generic Posts

A8 / S8 Generic Posts All other useful info

Old 17th May 2009, 09:30 PM

Default D3 Review - With some D2 Comparisons thrown in

Having had my D2 for a smidge under 3 years (55k miles) and my D3 for a whole two weeks now, I suppose the time is right to pen a comparison review of the two (I'll maybe try to add pics at a future date, but I'm away all this week).

Exterior:

The D3 is 'nicer' in a modern sense, even though mine is still the PF split-grill model, it's got a smoother look. The overall look is a bit smoother without the 'stick-out' bumper and rear-wing mounted aerial. My D3 has 12-spoke 19s (D2 18s) and they do fill the arches quite nicely.

It's got the come-out/go-home light option which will turn the fog and tail lights on for you so you can see getting in and out.

Windows/Mirrors:

A little larger in my opinion which gives the cabin an airy feel, but possibly helped by the D2 being black interior and the D3 being light grey. I do miss my D2 rear window with the metal wires rather than the traditional lines on the D3, but they're not obtrusive, so I can live with them

I've also got the auto-dimming mirrors which are strange on the outside for a few days, but really good when the sun is behind you, the auto-dim rear-view is nice to have back (my last 2 cars before the D2 had it). The 'dip on reverse' function is still there, and initially I thought it was knackered as the mirror didn't appear to come up when I moved it out of reverse. I since discovered (through luck) that it only moves back up when you either turn off the ignition, or move forward over a certain speed so it assumes you're done manouvering - kind of cool.

Driving position:

The seat adjusts in about 100 different ways with the 'comfort' seat option, the one I love is the top of the backrest being adjustable, the D2 was pretty good for me as I have issues with many cars as I'm a smidge over 6' tall. With the ability to push the top half back just a few degrees, it makes the seat a joy to sit in. The thigh support is now electric, which means I dont' have to pull it back out when the missus has uised it (*ahem*). I've got passenger memory on the D3 too which is cool, but not really something I use much.

Most of the main controls are the same, but the headlights have moved to the bottom right like the rest of the VAG range and the headlight stalk position is now taken up by the cruise (adaptive in mine) stalk. Steering wheel controls are great, controlling the main MMI functions while you're driving along (phone, CD/radio, volume) and the speech system to tell the car what to do is pretty cool though you do need to be very clear when telling it what to do or it will just repeatedly read the help text to you.

With the sports wheel I have the flappy paddles. TBH, I've not used tip anywhere near as much as the box is so responsive.

Interior space
- About the same as the D2 - Mahoosive!

Boot - Feels slightly larger than the D2, but it's pretty similar, though I do feel that the boot opening is slightly smaller, may be a problem when she wants to stick over-filled bags in to go on hols.

Ride Quality:

I thought the D2 was a joy to waft around in... Even with sport suspension in dynamic, it's amazing. You can feel bumps in the road, but there's no jarring and wobbling, even on the 19s. I can't really feel a difference between comfort and dynamic in the suspension to be honest, but that's maybe just me. The seats are just as grippy as the sport seats in the D2 so when you give it some beans you still dont' slide around.

And whislt it's partly to do with the better rubber that's on the D3, the cornering seems to be a whole load better, the car is much more composed but still has the nice predictable power understeer that I liked in the D2.

Brakes:

OMFG! I can feel them, rather than pressing the pedal and hoping for the best and they stop pretty damn quick. When I took the D2 for a spin tonight I couldn't believe the amount of pedal travel. I've not had a chance to really work it for any length of time, so I don't know how bad the fade will be, but given that the disks look a good bit bigger with more robust looking calipers, I imagine it will be a load better.

Someone has stolen the handbrake lever! It's a funny switchy thing in the dash that beeps at you if you don't do as it says! You can't put it off without either driving forward where it will do it for you, or having your foot on the brake which is a good idea I suppose.

Gadgetry:

Em.. Where to start... It's got more controls and computery bits than the chuffing space shuttle. And it's just as prone to crashing! One bit goes funny in the loop and it's all down. They're damned expensive to fix too apparently.

Bose Stereo
- Awesome.. Not sure how it compares to the D2 Bose as I had the standard amp setup (which was pretty damn good anyway), but the Bode is great. GALA is gone, replaced with AudioPilot in Bose which is an annoying as hell feature which turns the volume up based on interior noise.. The only benefit I really see in it is that when the missus or kids start whinging, the stereo will turn up and drown them out

SatNav
- Cool! in the main MMI screen and the DIS (which is widescreen on mine due to ACC). with the little countdown thing. Seems to be well stocked with POIs, but no option to add cameras etc. Pretty easy to manage through the MMI controls in the middle. The voice comes in over the stereo rather than cutting it out which is quite a nice feature.

CD Changer - Got one.. In the glovebox. Got an AMI coming 'soon' for the iPod (or more likely a 2.5" USB HDD). CD Changer does CD Changery things... There's also an option for an MP3 CD Changer.

TV
- Got Analogue TV in it.. No VIM yet, but TBH telly's sh*t during the day anyway. The only thing I was looking forward to was watching the F1 on it while I was on holiday, but I'll need to go to the oub now (shame) as the analogue signal will be off in the borders for next month. I can replace it with a DVB, but at 500 quid, that can wait.

TMC - Pretty cool, you can browse the list of road issues and it will try to re-route you if the route is screwed, but her Vectra did that too, so maybe not so cool anymore.

Phone
- Tried it once as it doesn't like my 3G SIM cards (used my dad's 100 year old SIM). Getting replaced with an Audi bluetooth setup soon which is MMI integrated, can't remember if it's the SAP or standard BT unit, but it'll work, so good.

Net
- No chuffin idea what that does.. And the manual is of no help either. I think it's gone in newer MMI versions anyway

Adjustable suspension
- cool... Until it breaks

If the MMI stops for any reason, none of the functions available through the centre console controls are available, so you can't change the suspension settings, use the phone, etc.. Be wary

Keyless go
- Cool as hell! I'm waiting on a new module as it's flaky, but when it's working, it's great. Press the button on door handle to unlock car. Get in, press registered finger on start button, finger is scanned and if brake pedal is pressed (assuming finger is OK) car is started. If no brake pedal pressed, power is turned on only. Both scenarios result in seat memory being activated and MMI presets being loaded (phonebook, Nav favourites, etc).

Press the stop button to turn the car off and hold it to engage steering lock. Walk away from the car and it will lock itself Pretty short range, so no top-gear style stunts.

Climate Control
- Works as an independent unit, but shows through the MMI and so is a PITA if the MMI goes down. Mine has the 4-zone which is cool for a whole 10 minutes as usually we want it either hot or cold anyway. Only really good if someone is a bit iffy and wants cold air while the rest want warm.

Gearbox:

6-speed... Much smoother than my D2, but it does have 145k on it whereas this one had 36 when I bought it. Everything up to 5th has been shortened slightly and 6th is pretty much about where 5th was.. Might be a fraction longer, but at 85 (kph) it's only out by maybe 100RPM tops. Tip mode is a push away on the stick rather than pull towards which I'm less keen on, but the paddles help.

Other stuff:

Ambient lighting
- Lights up door pockets and stuff while you're driving along.. Woo...

Seat-back pockets
- Not as good as the D2 in my opinion as they're hard plastic, so less worry about damage, but not quite as good for storing lots of stuff in as my kids are wont to do.

Cup holders - Rear are pop out from the front of the armrest. Front are just behind the MMI controls. RULE 1: There shall be no containers which may spill into the MMI stored in the holders... Audi have not put any protection in the MMI controls to stop any accidental spillage frying the buttons!

Adaptive Cruise Control - FREAKY! Car slows down (including brakes if it thinks so), then speeds up when it thinks the way is clear. You need to be ready for someone pulling off at a short slip road as it may think they're in front of you and you need to peel your face off the windscreen. Also if you come up behind something that's just a couple of MPH slower than you, it'll slow down so gently that you don't notice until you've been sitting behing someone for the last 5 miles. You can change the distance sensitivity up to a 'reasonable' distance behind the car in front, but you can't turn the adaptive bit off. If you do have ACC, you get the WideScreen DIS which is nicer than the standard, but I'm still not decided on it, so far I prefer my old-style cruise, but I think I'll get used to it in time.

Not sure what else to cover... All-in-all it's a definite class up from the D2, which we all know is an awesome car in the first place. Had a new A6 Avant when my D3 was getting the MMI looked at and I didn't even think it was as good as my D2.

Anything else you want to know about, let me know.

I know.. I know..

Last edited by PsYcHe; 17th May 2009 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Text Formatting
Old 18th May 2009, 12:06 AM

Thanks for that review, very thorugh and informative, I really enjoyed reading that. I think you may have sold the D3 to me, when I was looking for an '8 about 3 months ago I wrote the D3 off as I just wasn't to keen on them, thought having a D2 made more sense what with A8 Parts an all (knowlegde,parts). Think I will wait for W12 prices to drop a little...
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 18th May 2009, 11:55 AM

Hiya,

Interesting comparison. Haven't played with a D3, but then i've only recently got my D2 !

I'd say my brakes are fairly hot at stopping after following a car at 30ish round a blind corner for him to stop and allow a pedestrian to cross....A lesser car and i'd have hit him. Then again its an S8 with bembros, so maybe an ordinary d2 isn't so hot ?

cya,
Lee
Old 18th May 2009, 06:05 PM

Probably the PF vs FL brakes and the Brembos are a world apart from the crappy setup on my old D2. They stop.. They just feel really crap.

I know.. I know..

Old 18th May 2009, 06:20 PM

Do all S8s have brembos or is it just the final editions?
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds