A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 25th October 2015, 04:30 AM

Default 21" Alloys on Staggerd Fitment. Will they work?

Hi Guys,

Well the old girl is going in for a new coat at the beginning of the week after next and thought she would like some new shoes to go with her new look to make her look fantastic.

What I have found are:-
Fronts:- 21" x 8.5J with 255/30/21
Rears:- 21" x 10J with 295/30/21

My Audi's an A8 D3 Quattro Sport and would love to have these on my car as thing it would just make it awesome so first of will they fit, and secondly will it full lock and then finally can I move it without upsetting the Quattro system?

I assume that the tyre rolling circumferences on the fronts and the rears must be somewhere close, but does anyone have a means of finding out whether they are matching each other and also how close these are to my current 18's that I have fitted on my A8 at the moment (factory wheels)

Regards,

Mark.

Model: MY 2008 08 3.0TDI Quattro Sport, Black on Black (Transporter Edition) Lowered 60mm on drop link bars. Alloys swapped out to RS6 style 20" x 9.5". It's got full tints on all windows, and has the black leather interior. Remapped by Elite Automotive in Cornwall, giving an increase output to 290bhp/450lbs.

Options: Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth Hands Free, Quad Zone Climate, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons.

Future Plans:
Selling my current Audi A8 Quattro Sport and replace is with a newer D4 Audi A8L with the 4.2V8 Twin Turbo setup once again it must be black. I'm looking for one with the options added where it has the rear recliing seats, with heated outers. Bose speakers minimum and B&O's if affordable. Rear and back door sun blinds prefered.

Planned Mods:
Upon the arrival of my A8L D4, I will be once again having the ECU remapped to a performance setting over economy. Rear Tints as dark as can go whilst also tinting the front windows with a medium tint. Once again I will be purchasing lowering links for the air ride suspension and setting it at 55mm lower when in comfort as my desire rideheight over standard. Alloys will be 21" however the one current most likly to be the next car already has a brand new set of 2016 S8Plus wheels on it.

My Business: "The Transporter - Cornwall" find us on Facebook or download the Smart phone application by clicking the link below. http://TheTransporter.appsme.com
Old 25th October 2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHefner View Post
Hi Guys,

Well the old girl is going in for a new coat at the beginning of the week after next and thought she would like some new shoes to go with her new look to make her look fantastic.

What I have found are:-
Fronts:- 21" x 8.5J with 255/30/21
Rears:- 21" x 10J with 295/30/21

My Audi's an A8 D3 Quattro Sport and would love to have these on my car as thing it would just make it awesome so first of will they fit, and secondly will it full lock and then finally can I move it without upsetting the Quattro system?

I assume that the tyre rolling circumferences on the fronts and the rears must be somewhere close, but does anyone have a means of finding out whether they are matching each other and also how close these are to my current 18's that I have fitted on my A8 at the moment (factory wheels)

Regards,

Mark.
Hi Mark
As you have suggested you will need to ensure that the front and rear rolling radius's are as close as possible. I run 21" staggered wheels on my D2 and the fronts are 255 30 21 on 9" wheels but the rears are 295 25 21 on 10.5 wheels and I think your rears will need to be 25 profile rather than 30 to give the same close rolling circumference. Size wise the 21's will fit ok under D3 arches but you need to check the offset to see how the wheels sit in the arches and how far they come out towards the arch

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 25th October 2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 25th October 2015, 05:37 AM

As you can see the front to rear difference is 0.81% and you are Looking for the difference to be less than 1% to make sure that you don't get quattro issues due to differing rolling circumference you would therefore need to change the back tyres to 25 profile instead of 30 to achieve this.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	936
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	12024  

20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 25th October 2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 25th October 2015, 05:48 AM

This graphic shows the difference if you don't change the rear tyres to 25 profile - over 3.3% difference which would throw up quattro faults where the car is thinking that the rear and front wheels are rotating at different speeds and assume that they are slipping etc.

If you can tell me the ET on the existing wheels you have and then the ET on each of the front and rear new wheels then it will be possible to see how changing them affects how the new wheels line up in or out towards the arch

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	993
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	12025  

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 25th October 2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 26th October 2015, 08:54 AM

Thanks very much for that buddy! I did think after owning a Mitsubishi Evo 9 tuned to 448 bhp that these 4wd trains are a bit temperamental and needed to some how be similar but was sure that I read on this forum of the use of the staggered fitment wheels otherwise I would of simply ignores the sales advert assuming that they were on sale for BMW's and other large Arched Merc etc...

However the 25 profile with the 30 profile, does that not look strange with the thinner tyre wall at the back? Have you got a side on image of your car that you could post up please, it would be great to see how the two different profiles look on the same car.

As a second option though I've managed to find just 2 alloy wheels for sale minus matching centre caps but these are 10.0J x 21" (2 of) so I could have the option of buying these and then sell off the two alloys from my set that are 8.5j's (I assume that is what the owner of the two spare alloys has done) That was I would have four alloys at 10.0J x 21" and then it's just a case of buying two more tyres in the same 295/30/21 profile so that the car is the same all around.

Would the latter set up fit the car then, the 4 units of 295/30/21's and still get full lock on the steering?

Regards,

Mark.

Model: MY 2008 08 3.0TDI Quattro Sport, Black on Black (Transporter Edition) Lowered 60mm on drop link bars. Alloys swapped out to RS6 style 20" x 9.5". It's got full tints on all windows, and has the black leather interior. Remapped by Elite Automotive in Cornwall, giving an increase output to 290bhp/450lbs.

Options: Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth Hands Free, Quad Zone Climate, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons.

Future Plans:
Selling my current Audi A8 Quattro Sport and replace is with a newer D4 Audi A8L with the 4.2V8 Twin Turbo setup once again it must be black. I'm looking for one with the options added where it has the rear recliing seats, with heated outers. Bose speakers minimum and B&O's if affordable. Rear and back door sun blinds prefered.

Planned Mods:
Upon the arrival of my A8L D4, I will be once again having the ECU remapped to a performance setting over economy. Rear Tints as dark as can go whilst also tinting the front windows with a medium tint. Once again I will be purchasing lowering links for the air ride suspension and setting it at 55mm lower when in comfort as my desire rideheight over standard. Alloys will be 21" however the one current most likly to be the next car already has a brand new set of 2016 S8Plus wheels on it.

My Business: "The Transporter - Cornwall" find us on Facebook or download the Smart phone application by clicking the link below. http://TheTransporter.appsme.com
Old 26th October 2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
However the 25 profile with the 30 profile, does that not look strange with the thinner tyre wall at the back?
It will not look thinner.

25 and 30 are % of the width so 30 % of 255 =6.75 cm, 25% of 295 =7.375cm so it will actually be 6mm higher sidewall at the back.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 26th October 2015, 11:50 AM

Odd calculator you're using Ainars....
76.5mm and 73.75mm respectively so less than 3mm in it but fronts very slightly deeper..
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 26th October 2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 26th October 2015, 12:05 PM

My bad, guess just mistyped swapping 6 and 7 other way round and then just looked back to what already typed when comparing. So yes rear will be lower sidewall but just by 2.75mm.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 26th October 2015, 01:45 PM

heres a side view - and as others have said, its a percentage of the width so thats why it doesnt look odd. my car also has coilovers at the front so the front is much more lowered to try and get rid of the huge arch gap you often get at the front with D2's
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0643.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	834.2 KB
ID:	12037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6383.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	584.7 KB
ID:	12038   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	603.4 KB
ID:	12039  

Old 5th December 2015, 08:17 PM

Right guys, the car is back from the body shop, full respray and wow is all I can say, I've had many new cars, but not seen anything quite like this before. However I've got the lowering links waiting to go on but still needing to get these 21's sorted anyone got any fresh ideas?

Regards

Mark

Future Plans:

Planned Mods:

Tags
21", 8.5j, alloys, audi a8, staggered