A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Common Faults

D4 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th December 2016, 09:13 PM

Default D4 Droning Noise

Hi All,

Thought I would start a new thread, on an issue I had with my last 2012 D4. About 2 years into ownership (c. 35k miles), I got a droning noise at about 65mph+. We went through the usual tyres and bearing checks, and all were given a clean bill of health.

Eventually went into a dealer dictated by Audi UK who had some certain test kit and after some more diagnosis, they determined it was wheels or tyres, so all 5 were replaced under warranty.

Problem went away, but after a little while, it started to come back again. I mentioned the issue to another dealer, and they had the car in and started a period of very indepth diagnosis.

They tried new wheels etc on the car, and what they found was that the problem went away at the speed I noticed, but came back at 76mph+, therefore convinced that it wasn't wheels or tyres - all new tyres did were move the problem.

They did other checks to determine it wasn't engine or gearbox, and on ramp checked everything and found nothing. They got some kit in from Germany that measured external noise, and again nothing pinpointed the issue.

They then got a new A8 on the ramp next to mine and did a thorough front to back check on all moving parts using the new one as a reference. Nothing found, except that there was very slightly more play in the propshaft, but nothing that they would ordinarily pick up as a problem. As a last straw, Audi authorised the replacement, and it fixed the issue and silence was restored. Apparently it was the centre bearing.

It took six weeks to diagnose and get the part, which was on back order for LWB - dealer kept me in a couple of new 8's throughout the period though, so no hardship.

During this time I experienced different wheel sizes, different tyres and matrix headlights - 4 months later I had change to a 2015 D4 with matrix headlights!!

Hope that helps someone else, as it had caused a bit of head scratching.

Cheers
Mark.