A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 28th April 2015, 02:45 PM

Default People with lowering links, talk to me 👌

Just purchased a set and will be fitting soon once my 20" bentley alloys arrive.

Just curious to see what people have done when fitting there's and what height you guys are on with 20" wheels.

Mine will be 9j et 41 I believe.

I didn't fancy doing the bag com lowering as Heard to many errors arrive when doing them.

Craig.
Old 28th April 2015, 07:03 PM

I will ask my mate who actually made his own links which are much easier to adjust than the ones on sale.
I know he went pretty mental and he has 20s as well.

I'm on 20s as well, 275/35/20, 9J, ET28 and ET 35 and -15mm front and -10mm rear and still plenty of room. Even when both axles were lowered by -25mm there was still a lot of room.

There is nothing wrong with each of the methods and it really is all down to personal preference.
'many errors' is almost a myth mainly because in 8 out of 10 cars VAG lowering wasnt done properly. This is down to few factors:
- some people jump straight to entering the values before even dooing a proper scan for any old or existing errors with any air suspension components such as level sensors, main controller or leaking tank or compressor. Even old error can cause the lowering to fail.
- some people just dont follow correct procedures, cut corners or rush.
- there are also solutions/procedures when lowering fails which you can solve if you have enough knowledge/understanding/experience with this mod. Some people just think its all about plug in the laptop, typing few numbers and all done. It's not.
- I worked on car's where someone with no VAGCOM and knowledge or at least a little research went to someone who had a VAGCOM but never looked into the process and they just followed a calibration video.

There is many many factors which can make it an easy mod straight from the first time, but sometimes it takes few attempts. If there is no serious issues to report then its all doable.

I know many people with VAGCOM lowered D3s and only one with links, and I've done few as well. Each car is different tho.

I'll ask my mate how low his D3 sits now and will report back soon.

Looking forward to some pictures when you do it

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 3rd May 2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
I will ask my mate who actually made his own links which are much easier to adjust than the ones on sale.
I know he went pretty mental and he has 20s as well.

I'm on 20s as well, 275/35/20, 9J, ET28 and ET 35 and -15mm front and -10mm rear and still plenty of room. Even when both axles were lowered by -25mm there was still a lot of room.

There is nothing wrong with each of the methods and it really is all down to personal preference.
'many errors' is almost a myth mainly because in 8 out of 10 cars VAG lowering wasnt done properly. This is down to few factors:
- some people jump straight to entering the values before even dooing a proper scan for any old or existing errors with any air suspension components such as level sensors, main controller or leaking tank or compressor. Even old error can cause the lowering to fail.
- some people just dont follow correct procedures, cut corners or rush.
- there are also solutions/procedures when lowering fails which you can solve if you have enough knowledge/understanding/experience with this mod. Some people just think its all about plug in the laptop, typing few numbers and all done. It's not.
- I worked on car's where someone with no VAGCOM and knowledge or at least a little research went to someone who had a VAGCOM but never looked into the process and they just followed a calibration video.

There is many many factors which can make it an easy mod straight from the first time, but sometimes it takes few attempts. If there is no serious issues to report then its all doable.

I know many people with VAGCOM lowered D3s and only one with links, and I've done few as well. Each car is different tho.

I'll ask my mate how low his D3 sits now and will report back soon.

Looking forward to some pictures when you do it
Nice one cheers mate.

Picked up my wheels yesterday so will be getting tyres sorted next week and fitting will happen. Well excited.

Old 5th May 2015, 10:02 PM

So, his distance from the center of the wheel to the arches is 370mm all the way round on 20'' 9J with 265/35/20 all the way round with no issues

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 9th November 2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
So, his distance from the center of the wheel to the arches is 370mm all the way round on 20'' 9J with 265/35/20 all the way round with no issues
I've just sent mine off for a full respray yesterday and whilst it's gone I intend buying drop links for the lowering and also a set of 21"s The drop links shown here are these pre-set to the 15mm and 25mm you mentioned or do they have to be adjusted? What I ideal want is a small drop all around, that will reduce the gap between tyre and arch, but I also want to know what size tyres I need to get the car to sit right, look right without rubbing. 255/30's/21" look to be the wheel that I need to upgrade from my 19" but do you think I should get the 9.0J, the 9.5J or the 10.0J alloys?

I was hoping without the need for spacers to push the lip of the wheel out to the edge of the arch lip so that when looking down the length of the car or people driving towards me in the other direction that it looked proper mean and awesome at the same time. I'm not sure on wheel style yet but these black gloss centres on the chrome lipped rim lip on my Black D3 would certainly look amazing.

Regards,

Mark.

Model: MY 2008 08 3.0TDI Quattro Sport, Black on Black (Transporter Edition) Lowered 60mm on drop link bars. Alloys swapped out to RS6 style 20" x 9.5". It's got full tints on all windows, and has the black leather interior. Remapped by Elite Automotive in Cornwall, giving an increase output to 290bhp/450lbs.

Options: Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth Hands Free, Quad Zone Climate, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons.

Future Plans:
Selling my current Audi A8 Quattro Sport and replace is with a newer D4 Audi A8L with the 4.2V8 Twin Turbo setup once again it must be black. I'm looking for one with the options added where it has the rear recliing seats, with heated outers. Bose speakers minimum and B&O's if affordable. Rear and back door sun blinds prefered.

Planned Mods:
Upon the arrival of my A8L D4, I will be once again having the ECU remapped to a performance setting over economy. Rear Tints as dark as can go whilst also tinting the front windows with a medium tint. Once again I will be purchasing lowering links for the air ride suspension and setting it at 55mm lower when in comfort as my desire rideheight over standard. Alloys will be 21" however the one current most likly to be the next car already has a brand new set of 2016 S8Plus wheels on it.

My Business: "The Transporter - Cornwall" find us on Facebook or download the Smart phone application by clicking the link below. http://TheTransporter.appsme.com