A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 22nd April 2017, 08:34 PM

Default Car safety

Hello,

I am not sure I am not alone on this one, but..

One of the main reasons why I bought the A8 was due to fact that it is Aluminium built and so it's pretty safe, compared to other similar steel cars.

However it is an 11 year old car, so are new cars a lot safer nowadays?

Also, why do people not ask or care about the safety record/features of their cars, when buying them?

Finally, one car I really admire is a Tesla S , again safety is good here.
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audia8driver View Post

Finally, one car I really admire is a Tesla S , again safety is good here.
Don't get me started on this . There's a *cough* surprising amount of stuff on here about that car - just try the search function

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Don't get me started on this . There's a *cough* surprising amount of stuff on here about that car - just try the search function
Ok no worries, I understand and have read some. It is not all what it seems.
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Ok no worries, I understand and have read some. It is not all what it seems.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan - as you can see from my signature

(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 22nd April 2017, 09:02 PM

Large deposit kills buying one on business hire.

Second hand prices are just under 50k, so will have to wait.

Recently, went to Hamburg and checked one out there and absolutely love it.

Btw, I don't fancy the cheaper model out later this year though.
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Large deposit kills buying one on business hire.

Second hand prices are just under 50k, so will have to wait.

Recently, went to Hamburg and checked one out there and absolutely love it.

Btw, I don't fancy the cheaper model out later this year though.
True...but - based on what you've said in the other thread - you could buy it as a company asset (as I'd did...) then write the whole cost off in the year of purchase .

Though I must admit, a Model S costs a lot more (about 20% more) than when I got mine just over a year ago.

The Model 3 will be an interesting contrast, but won't arrive here till mid next year (at the earliest...)

Old 23rd April 2017, 12:07 AM

Thumbs up Car safety as a consideration when buying an A or S8

Hi,

Sorry to drag this back from the Tessla discussion but yes, I bought an A8 with safety in mind (as well as the usual stuff ).

I believe my life was saved by an A4 I was driving doing a high speed lane-change on the M1 near the Meadowhalll turn off. I saw an object in lane 2, instinctively moved into lane 3 at some speed...).

A car hit the object, bounced into a truck then I accelerated hard out of the carnage. The accident was described by S.Y. police as the most serious non-fatal accident they had ever dealt with, lots of airbags saved lives, M1 shut behind me .

So. Maybe any car would have moved "at the speed of thought" but would I have had the confidence to try?? And the acceleration was tremendous, no "drop a gear, get to 6000 revs and she flys" or "the electronics will give you 4 wheel drive when you need it" crap.

I bought a permanent 4 wheel drive Audi with a torque abundant engine as soon as I could (the A4 was my good pal's).

Robert
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
True...but - based on what you've said in the other thread - you could buy it as a company asset (as I'd did...) then write the whole cost off in the year of purchase .

Though I must admit, a Model S costs a lot more (about 20% more) than when I got mine just over a year ago.

The Model 3 will be an interesting contrast, but won't arrive here till mid next year (at the earliest...)
I am sure I have not kind of money at the moment, as fairly new in contracting.

Regarding the huge deposit is that paid by the company?
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireBloke View Post
Hi,

Sorry to drag this back from the Tessla discussion but yes, I bought an A8 with safety in mind (as well as the usual stuff ).

I believe my life was saved by an A4 I was driving doing a high speed lane-change on the M1 near the Meadowhalll turn off. I saw an object in lane 2, instinctively moved into lane 3 at some speed...).

A car hit the object, bounced into a truck then I accelerated hard out of the carnage. The accident was described by S.Y. police as the most serious non-fatal accident they had ever dealt with, lots of airbags saved lives, M1 shut behind me .

So. Maybe any car would have moved "at the speed of thought" but would I have had the confidence to try?? And the acceleration was tremendous, no "drop a gear, get to 6000 revs and she flys" or "the electronics will give you 4 wheel drive when you need it" crap.

I bought a permanent 4 wheel drive Audi with a torque abundant engine as soon as I could (the A4 was my good pal's).

Robert
Nice one mate, that is a very close experience, half a second difference.

I think it comes down to two things. 1. Human reaction times- I don't think that has changed.

2. Car safety. Speed, stability and that has changed over the years and is better, at least for the last 20 years ago.

Only thing, nobody wants the big cars, due to overall running costs, but surely safety should also be a big factor.
Old 23rd April 2017, 12:08 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Only thing, nobody wants the big cars, due to overall running costs, but surely safety should also be a big factor.
And yet, to some extent, especially in a head-on accident it's a case of survival of the biggest/heaviest.

That's why I've always preferred larger cars. It's simple physics; the bigger/heavier car will be slowed by the smaller/lighter car in a head-on accident but will continue in the direction it was going, lessening the forces that the impact exerts on the internal organs of the occupants. For the smaller/lighter car, the forces at play are worse than hitting an immovable object. The car changes direction in an instant, exerting huge forces on the occupants. It makes no difference if the small car has some sort of 'rigid safety cell' and a million airbags. Safety features such as those reduce external injuries but do nothing to lessen the extent of the (often fatal) internal injuries caused by the resulting g-forces.

Another thing about head-on accidents is that they're not always avoidable, no matter how carefully/safely you drive. You can never know if some idiot will be on your side of the road one day, while driving around a blind bend.

And that, is why I drive an 8!
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust