A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 24th April 2017, 09:08 PM

Very interesting thread.

However why can't cars survive in high speed collisions, Ferraris and other super cars do.

I don't think am wrong when I say there is plastic out there that is unbeeakable and could be used on cars.

I think it is all about making money
Old 24th April 2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audia8driver View Post
Very interesting thread.

However why can't cars survive in high speed collisions, Ferraris and other super cars do.

I don't think am wrong when I say there is plastic out there that is unbeeakable and could be used on cars.

Nothing wrong with making money, and methinks its the survivablility of their cars occupants that would be uppermost in peoples minds.

Last edited by tonupkid; 24th April 2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 24th April 2017, 09:48 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Very interesting thread.

The problem isn't so much how to make the cars survive the impact as how to make the occupants survive it. Something needs to absorb and dissipate all that energy.

If you were to create an immensely strong and rigid vehicle, one that could survive an impact without deforming, the effect would be that a lot more of the energy of the impact would transfer to the occupants. Assuming the occupants are strapped into their seats and their bodies are therefore prevented from continuing forward at 100mph, their organs instead will be propelled forward with great force.

To make high impact energy accidents survivable you have to allow some amount of deceleration and energy absorption, which is the main purpose of crumple zones.

This is another reason I believe larger cars are generally safer (in accidents involving other vehicles). Larger cars usually have larger/longer crumple areas, since they have to be able to absorb their own weight in an accident. Therefore in an accident with another vehicle, particularly a smaller/lighter one, it stands to reason that the car with the larger crumple zones will fare significantly better.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 25th April 2017, 12:23 AM

Regarding big cars..

if you recall the Mercedeses Benz s class that Princess Diana was unfortunately killed in, that big car did not provide the necessary protection.

I do agree that upon impact the energy needs to be absorbed, but surely air bag technology could be advanced, so you are cocooned within the shell of the car or something that become a hardened foam, I guess this is more physics?
Old 25th April 2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
I do agree that upon impact the energy needs to be absorbed, but surely air bag technology could be advanced, so you are cocooned within the shell of the car or something that become a hardened foam, I guess this is more physics?
As in Demolition Man. Strangely enough, I was thinking about that particular scenario when reading through this thread.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 25th April 2017, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
As in Demolition Man.
More like 'I Robot' with the Audi!
The biggest problem with all car safety is the rate of deceleration of the occupants. Deceleration needs to be as slow as possible (micro seconds make a difference), and manufacturers spend millions engineering crumple zones, seatbelts and rate of airbag deployment. The recent switch had been to active crash avoidance - the technology for which is flying headlong into automation, unfortunately...

I found the premise of this thread interesting, because there's been a concerted drive in the last 25 years in Australia to improve car safety (driven by annoyance for discrepancies like the Aussie designed Capri (POS - poor imitation of a MX5 based on 323 underpinnings, don't bother!) that was fitted with airbags for the US market, but not for ours).
There's a website called "How Safe is Your Car" which will give an indication of ENCAP and ANCAP (Aussie New Car Assessment Program) ratings for all cars on Australian Roads on the last 20 years and is recommended for people to visit before making any purchase decisions.
Safety is a major market driver in this country, and a poor ANCAP/ENCAP ratings will affect sales (the exception being the two star Mustang, although with the late 2017 update model promising five stars, we'll watch that one!). Even Toyota had to lift their game when ANCAP started testing utes and the Ford Ranger/Mazda BT50 (twins under the skin) and VW Amarok attained five stars. The new Hilux is now five stars, and that's despite commercial classed vehicles (vans, utes, and chassied 4x4's) not having the same legislated crash requirements as cars - it was purely market driven.
In fact most safety improvements over the past 20 years can be attributed to the critical success of ENCAP/ANCAP.

Just ask my missus why we bought the XC90 (the V8 version was my concession!)...

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)

Last edited by 27litres; 25th April 2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 25th April 2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Regarding big cars..

if you recall the Mercedeses Benz s class that Princess Diana was unfortunately killed in, that big car did not provide the necessary protection.
It would seem that the car did provide the necessary protection, only it wasn't used at the time by all the occupants. Reports say she wasn't wearing her seatbelt, however her bodyguard (who was) survived.

http://edition.cnn.com/WORLD/9709/21...investigation/
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 25th April 2017, 10:14 PM

We all throw in some money and I'll buy a scrap A8 and perform some real world crashes with it. (Whilst not being inside the car...)
Old 25th April 2017, 10:24 PM

We don't want to waste an A8, if you ask me, they look fantastic and are a true classic.

Seat belts make all the difference, however regardless of what it is, we are made of bones and flesh and cannot compete with metal.

Prevention systems are the way forward for safety it seems
Old 25th April 2017, 10:38 PM

Said a scrap one .. gotta be cheap