A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 31st January 2018, 10:24 AM

The S9 and A3 were for sale today but the S9 sold out quickly as usual.

I didn't see any social media posts or emails from Bitmain about the S9 coming available, its was a post from someone on Facebook that alerted me to them being there.

Old 31st January 2018, 12:18 PM

Back in stock again

Old 31st January 2018, 05:06 PM

So what and where are you kind folks mining, I have l3+ and s9's coming and want to be prepared so can get them up and running as soon as they arrive.

Traditionally they would be for lite coin and Bitcoin are you mining something else?

Old 1st February 2018, 05:17 AM

I am renting mine out on https://www.miningrigrentals.com/ with several backup pools setup on MRR where to mine when not rented out and several backups set up locally in case it cannot connect to MRR or renters pool is down. On the backup pools I either mine some low value currencies that could increase in value and keep them or sometimes if the difficulties are high I just use nicehash as backup. which reminds me I need to go and check if they have made announcement about old balances that were lost due to hack and they should have made announcement by end of January.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 1st February 2018, 07:29 AM

They did make the announcement - 10% in February, and then more to follow. Pretty worthless for my 0.002 since it'll never make the threshold for external payments so I'll never see any of that, but if you had more you might get something back.
Old 1st February 2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I am renting mine out on https://www.miningrigrentals.com/ with several backup pools setup on MRR where to mine when not rented out and several backups set up locally in case it cannot connect to MRR or renters pool is down. On the backup pools I either mine some low value currencies that could increase in value and keep them or sometimes if the difficulties are high I just use nicehash as backup. which reminds me I need to go and check if they have made announcement about old balances that were lost due to hack and they should have made announcement by end of January.
Interesting, how do you find that earning wise in comparison to directly in a pool?

Old 1st February 2018, 10:34 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Same as Ainars here, I usually rent my ASIC miners out on MRR, which seems to be slightly more profitable than NiceHash and other methods. I've also used Prohashing and KanoPool.

Right now I've actually got them pointed at NiceHash, simply because I took them offline and off rental while I was away for a few days a couple of weeks ago. I haven't rented them back out again yet because I'm working on an enclosure in the cellar for them, which has meant that I've been turning them on and off frequently.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 1st February 2018, 11:44 AM

Hi There,

I've Two S7's. One only runs two cards, so about 8TH which i've got on BTC via slushpool. Which seems to out perform most the calculators but it does vary earnings on how well the pool does. I keep meaning to try Kano, but i've not gotten round to it.

My S9 i've been mainly doing BCH on ViaBTC and that's rolling in about 0.01BCH a day. Which is pretty much in line with https://whattomine.com/asic - I did get about 3000 DGB at the beginning of January because I like having a chunk of other coins on the potential that they rise and back in early Jan it was more profitable than either BTC or BCH. (via blockfactory)
I've been mining BCH with the idea of at some point i can see me buying from Bitmain again and i'd like to discount that.

Arguably buying Tech and then selling the Tech for a profit is a way to get fiat out and make money on the transaction. It may be tax advantageous too!

My 4x GTX970 rig is on various alt coins (BTG, ETN, TZC). I've mined each for ~month and pick a coin that gives a reasonable volume at a reasonable price.
I probably need to pick another coin soon, but rates are so low atm that nothing is catching my eye better than TZC . Music perhaps.

Coin values are irritatingly low throwing my calcs off, but the S7's are ~£600 and the Rig at ~£400 for 3 months, with the S9 ~£500 for the last month.

I've yet to factor electricity in though and ~£4K i've spent on the hardware.

Coin Value is so low atm that it does make me wonder about the sense in all this, but It's been a fun and interesting learning experience, has the potential to do all sorts of things and I'm in a nice position that I don't *NEED* any of this (Ie i'm HODL)

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 1st February 2018, 01:54 PM

Yeah coin values being so low and GPU prices having skyrocketed in the last month are looking to render GPU mining non-viable pretty soon I think.

The next batch of Vegas has landed at some suppliers and they have obviously been watching what they were selling for on ebay, since they are now charging over £900 When Ainars and I bought them last year they were £400! At the new price that's an ROI of 3 years, and that's assuming BTC's death-spiral ends fairly soon.

My Amazon Vegas were supposed to land next week, but they've just been pushed back another month. Extrapolate the graphs and by the time they get here it'll barely be worth mining with them

What's the A3 doing at the moment?
Old 1st February 2018, 06:14 PM

23$ a day, but what it will be by the time mine gets here who can say.