A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 1st February 2018, 07:17 PM

Interesting, Ill sign up with MRR and see how things pan out.

I do hope that there's still some money to be made when they arrive.

If I can get the hardware paid for and sit on some coins I'll also be happy if it does anymore then its a bonus and some heat along the way.

Old 2nd February 2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
23$ a day, but what it will be by the time mine gets here who can say.
So did you buy A3 as well then? I also bought one, when i say 'I', I mean me and and friend bought it together as it seemed to risky to try it on my own but between us it only cost £350 each so I thought it's worth a punt, if it makes £5 per day it will pay back in 6 months.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 2nd February 2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Yeah coin values being so low and GPU prices having skyrocketed in the last month are looking to render GPU mining non-viable pretty soon I think.

The next batch of Vegas has landed at some suppliers and they have obviously been watching what they were selling for on ebay, since they are now charging over £900 When Ainars and I bought them last year they were £400! At the new price that's an ROI of 3 years, and that's assuming BTC's death-spiral ends fairly soon.

My Amazon Vegas were supposed to land next week, but they've just been pushed back another month. Extrapolate the graphs and by the time they get here it'll barely be worth mining with them

What's the A3 doing at the moment?
It has gone a bit down but it's always periodically going up and down. Last year March to July it was very profitable to mine Ether using RX cards and they were getting very expensive, then profitability went down and by September they were making less than £1/day and card prices went down. Then it suddenly became profitable to use CryptoNote algorithm on them and the card prices went up. Now CryptoNote is going down and Ethash back up again. There are other posibilities as well.

I am currently looking at Garlicoin and Srypt N algorithm. I am only trialling it on one RX580 card on Microserver at the moment but following calculations it should earn about $3.80/day in Garlicoin. At the MRR there are very little rigs for Scrypt N so it's hard to exactly judge the actual price you will get renting it out but the the moment the price for the cheapest available rig would meant about £6.41/day for single RX580 card.

8 history:
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
So did you buy A3 as well then? I also bought one, when i say 'I', I mean me and and friend bought it together as it seemed to risky to try it on my own but between us it only cost £350 each so I thought it's worth a punt, if it makes £5 per day it will pay back in 6 months.
Yes i currently have orders in for 1 A3, 2 l3+ and 4 s9.

I see they have decided to increase the limit of A3 to 3 per account. Sceptic in me thinks their trying to get rid before they earn less then they burn.

Old 2nd February 2018, 02:40 PM

The A3 looks curious.....It's about 1 BCH shipped +fees/vat - I've got about 0.3 from a month of S9 usage which was worth a lot more a couple of weeks back.

But it doesn't ship until March and there has been a lot of them shipped i'm guessing and by March, who knows....Very two minds on this. The one coin worries too!

On the other hand looking at my S7's on Nicehash, the low value of the coins are now making it just unprofitable

However I'm hoping that the market will move back up....But arguably it was going to happen to the S7 at some point and at least I have the PSU's

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 3rd February 2018, 01:34 PM

Just a quick update about my Scrypt-N and Garlicon testing with single RX 580 card. So I made a rig on MRR to rent out, I priced it half of the next cheapest rig to make sure it gets rented out and only available for short periods of time. It got rented out very quickly for 6 hours and earned 90p worth of BTC for that time so it would be £3.60 for a full day and £7.20 if it was at the next cheapest available price, not sure if it would get rented at that price though. I then made it unavailable and was mining Garlicoin using backup pool on MRR, in 18 hours it has earned me Garlicoin worth £2 even after £30% drop in price since yesterday. This compares favourably to about £2 it would earn on CryptoNight at the moment. Power consumption looks to be more similar to CryptoNight rather than Ethash. Not too keen running Ethash due to higher power consumption, temps and noise but need to look at the numbers for that.

I am looking at converting all my AMD cards apart from Vega to Scrypt-N rigs on MRR with Garlicoin as backup. Vega does not do well with only 240kH/s comparing to 280-300 for Rx480 or RX580. There might be some tweaks available to make it better but at the moment does not look good. Also for some reason it does not want to run on one of my rigs, it just says 'Scrypt n algorithm not found' even if I am using the copy of the same folder with same files that run on other 2 PC's .

Well I was going to rebuild it on another motherboard anyway so will see how it goes on that one with fresh copy of Windows.

8 history:
Old 3rd February 2018, 08:53 PM

What miner are you using for Scrypt-N? I had a look yesterday and totally could not figure it out. I found some references to Vertcoin, but that appears to use Lyra2RE? Either Google is getting confused by the '-' in the search terms, or my Google-fu has failed me this time. Nicehash seems to have a pool for ScryptNf which I guess is the same thing?
Old 4th February 2018, 07:07 AM

I think ScryptNf is the same as N-Scrypt or Scrypt-N, there is not much info on the net. I am using sgminer https://mega.nz/#!XAlVmQYQ!HwFI05l2o...6kBmjpHt2_e90Y, I also tried it for CryptoNight in the past as it does not have dev fee and is supposed to be the fastest with 900+ h/s for RX580 cards but could not get it to work. It would crash in couple of seconds on one PC and did not work at all on another. As there is very little info about it on the net I abandoned it's use for XMR.

Seems to work OK for Scrypt-N and I figured out why it would not work on one PC, it needed GPU platform changing from 0 to 1, that was probably the issue why it was not working for XMR as well. But when it tells you algorithm Srypt N not found it's very confusing and there is little online info available. It should have said something like no usable GPUs found instead.

Garlicoin price has gone down by 50% in last 2 days so it's less profitable to mine but difficulty is down as well by 25%. Not sure if it's a coin worth 'hodling' or just a joke and exchanging small qties for other currency is probably not that profitable. It does look like more of a joke but then look at Dogecoin - it was supposed to be a joke and was pretty much worthless for a while. for now I am keeping 2 cards mining Garlicoin as a trial for now but not switching the rest over. The rig on MRR is not getting rented out at the prices just slightly below the others so I have dropped price to half of others but even at that price it would be over £8/day for 2 cards, the question is if somebody will rent it.

Maybe will give another go getting sgminer to work on XMR and will monitor situation with Garlicoin

Here is the Garlicoin profitability for 2 cards at the moment:

Lot of coins going up in value again, star riser for me is Litecoin with almost 35% up, and the most profitable coin for scrypt at the moment - good news for my 3x L3+s. Cardano 30% up as well I have been meaning to buy some of it but have not got round to it, now I don't know do I buy it now or wait for the price to drop?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	17861  

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 4th February 2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 4th February 2018, 08:52 AM

Siacoin network hashrate has gone down increasing profits again. I am just wondering what happened that network hashrate dropped, what are all the A3 mining now??? Or is it because they were already mining for Bitmain and now are in transit to new owners?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	407
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	17862  

8 history:
Old 4th February 2018, 10:34 AM

Another thing to mention is about Onda D1800 BTC motherboard, it appears there are versions with VGA connector and without, both of mine have VGA connector. The newest BIOS update for it resolves issues with Vega cards and issues when you have 6 cards but disables onboard VGA. I upgraded BIOS on mine and lost video output. It would still start and and be accessible with Teamviewer but nothing on display using onboard VGA or DVI to VGA converter from one of cards. Did not try HDMI or DP as it meant moving the whole setup, just flashed the old BIOS back blindly and onboard VGA is working again but not sure if it will take 6 discrete GPU's or if it will work well with Vega with older BIOS. Still even if it only works with 5 RX580 it seems cost effective considering it has onboard CPU and I do not need any risers, also with 5 GPU's I should be able to get away with just a single 850W PSU so that's a bonus as well.

8 history: