A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 15th March 2018, 01:25 PM

Default Help! Stuck dismantling read number plate light mounting

Hi Guys & Girls

I'm getting in a bit of a pickle trying to remove the plastic strip from the outside of boot of my D3. The one that contains the number plate lights.
I've taken off the boot lid lining, and removed nuts that seem to be behind the part I want to get off, but it's still seems as firmly attached as ever.

Is there a 'how too' that could direct my efforts please???

I realise there is a resource somewhere in the forum, but can't find it. In 7.5 years of ownership this is my first foray, so please be kind. I'm getting there bit by bit Any help much appreciated. Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Hi Guys & Girls

I'm getting in a bit of a pickle trying to remove the plastic strip from the outside of boot of my D3. The one that contains the number plate lights.
I've taken off the boot lid lining, and removed nuts that seem to be behind the part I want to get off, but it's still seems as firmly attached as ever.

Is there a 'how too' that could direct my efforts please???

I realise there is a resource somewhere in the forum, but can't find it. In 7.5 years of ownership this is my first foray, so please be kind. I'm getting there bit by bit Any help much appreciated. Thanks
Try the D3 Tech Dump (Under "D3 - Common Faults - D3 Tech Dump- Service Manual Electrical System Section 21) . That should cover it.
Old 15th March 2018, 06:57 PM

Hi Tony,

Have you sorted this yet?

That trim has 4 M6 nuts and rubber seals around the threads and around the trim. These seals can adhere so may require a bit a force to break the bond.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 15th March 2018, 07:05 PM

Hi David & Matt

Thank you for your kind help. That dump of data is truly amazing. I'll be occupied for many hours of OCD reading.
Matt. I have now removed the nuts but as yet not the outside plastic part that contains the number plate lights. I tried a little force but will go back to it again with more conviction, and hopefully it'll budge.

Thanks again for the support
Old 15th March 2018, 10:44 PM

+1 with what Matt said.
It can be "sticky"
I took mine off to Dremel it a bit when I fitted the non-OEM Reverse Camera.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 15th March 2018, 11:39 PM

I am dreading this too, as one of my number plate holder screw is fooked. Someone tried to undo it but sheared the head. Would have to drill it out I think. Let us know how you get on buds as it will give me hope

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub

Last edited by H-M3; 15th March 2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 16th March 2018, 10:18 AM

There is a row of nuts on the inside of the boot, 4 I think (or were they screws?).
It is also held one with a foam gasket the length of the strip (which is made of aluminium, not plastic).
There is a lock barrel as well, I can't remember but I think it had torx screws to hold it in and maybe a large sliding clip?
Maybe it is the cold weather? Try warming it with a hair dryer to make the gasket felxible and soften any sticky residue exuded from it.

Last edited by snapdragon; 17th March 2018 at 07:59 AM.