A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 24th May 2016, 02:56 PM

Default New Welder

A well overdue brand new Mig welder ordered. 200amp in British racing green, photo's to follow when it arrives.

Welding offered to forum members cheap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oxford-MIG-200.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	13407  

Bright yellow bus o love.

Last edited by Dezzy; 24th May 2016 at 04:41 PM. Reason: add stock photo
Old 24th May 2016, 04:42 PM

That's really cool!
Would you be able to help me with my crazy exhaust project?
I bought these Mercedes SL tips for cheap on ebay, and a set of Touareg tips too.
I want to use the SL tips when I get a new exhaust, they are smaller and look better than the Touareg tips.

The thing I like about the Touareg tips is the trumpet shape inside the tip that reduces down to the standard round exhaust pipe.

Would you be able to weld in a polished Stainless steel cone that reduces down from the oval shape to the stock 60mm exhaust pipe?
The inner oval tube lip would need cutting back as it sticks out, to allow the cone edge to sit behind the rolled over lip of the outer tip.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust tip idea.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	759.4 KB
ID:	13408  
Old 24th May 2016, 05:24 PM

Yes is the short answer, however we'll get some heat colouring to the polished parts during the welding process and keeping them covered during welding as the spatter from the weld sticks like sh** to a blanket on stainless, and will leave rust spots.

I'm sure i have some stainless filler wire somewhere and that would be ideal as the normal wire will rust, or the weld bead will.

Do you have all the bits you need and they just need welding? apart from the exhaust obviously. If you're having a system made for you it might be better for them to make the tips removable, using the same idea you have with a reducer to get to stock tube but oversized so it'll sleeve and clamp on further forward under the car where it can't be seen, the only reason being if the exhaust is slightly twisted the slight angle on the tip is made obvious by the cut out in the bumper. If you have the ability to adjust that at final assembly.

Old 24th May 2016, 05:50 PM

Thanks Dezzy, that's great!
I only have the exhaust tips, I could get some polished stainless sheet.
I know I am asking a bit much here, how difficult is it to bend the steel sheet to get that flared shape like on the inside of the Touareg tip? (its not a straight cone, more like a trumpet)

Yes great idea about sleeving the tip (end of the cone) over the 60mm exhaust so the angle can be adjusted with the bumper cut-out.

Last edited by Goran; 24th May 2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 25th May 2016, 07:49 AM

I would think it's tube expanded and crushed flat in a former. For me to do at home quite difficult.
Exhausts are normally made from a low quality stainless and that makes it quite malleable probably 409 or similar, the tips however will be something like 304 and or a mixture of the 2. So the outer part that you want to stay shiny will be 304 maybe 316 but i doubt it and the internal 409.
I'd struggle to get a stainless sheet to that shape, i don't have any rolls, if i did it could be rolled to a cone shape and pressed flat that might give the shape required but welding the sheet will cause a bit of distortion.

Thinking about it a bit of tube crushed in a vice and cut to size after would be the right shape? Round to oval, you'd possibly need to put a round in the tube while winding the vice up just to hold the shape of the round? It would be either a bit of cleaver maths or a bit of playing with tube sizes until you find the right shape oval.

Old 25th May 2016, 07:56 PM

I found this, it might work its oval already and size is almost right.
I'll have to find out if I can see it in person first to make sure, plus its out of stock at the moment.

http://exhaustpartsuk.com/index.php?...roducts_id=665