A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 4th June 2009, 09:24 PM

Default Exhaust upgrades?

I guess the likes of Milltek are the way to go.

But...

is there a big difference in sound?

how about power gains or is a remap required to obtain the full benefit of the freer flowing exhaust?

I've seen mention of the quad-pipe upgrade - who makes these? are they a straight bolt-on? is it purely cosmetic? does the rear bumper need modifying to accommodate the additional pair of tailpipes?

SO many questions...!

Last edited by CliveH; 4th June 2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 4th June 2009, 10:25 PM

My Mrs just had a upgrade. She found MIJ Performance in Walsall to be the best, as unlike most there boxs r not pre made. Giving u a full custom exhaust.
We looked around and didnt find anyone else that offered this sort of service.
What we were told is that Milltek, Longlife, and so on there boxs (silencer's) r premade across the water. So not 100% custom exhaust.
Still great exhausts tho come along to the meet this weekend, u will be able to hear to lots of different exhausts. Judge yourself

sound differents? yer def sound differents and also the more u have done the more the sound changes.

Power gains? again depends how much u have done. if u have full exhaust with sport cats, im sure u will tell differents.
Remap? think its optional but could be wrong, sure someone will come along and say.
free flow? xpipe seems the way on here

Quad pipes? fair few r getting them from MIJ

Last edited by A8 Owner; 4th June 2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 4th June 2009, 11:42 PM

Sound Differences:

Yep they sound soo much better than standard, as they are quite muted from the factory. How loud you go is up to you, Milltek have a good reputation for getting the balance about right, I personally had my quad system cutom made in Holland but as A8 Owner suggests other options are available.

Power Gains: Negligable, I have never claimed any increase in bhp there may be some but its likely to be <10bhp so on a 300bhp+car your not really going to notice. I have the X pipe mod on mine which should in theory help a bit through the rev range but especially the top end. Again I would say that it helps a bit but nothing major.

Remap: IMO not worth the money, naturally aspirated cars tend not to give much power advantage, turbos like the S2 benefit a lot but naturally aspirated you would be looking at around ~5bhp for your £400odd

free flow: Answered above, it is derived from Nascar as it was proven in racing to give the car more power and hence speed.

Quad pipes: Custom made, and yes the other side of the bumper needs cutting to match, yep purely cosmetic.
Old 5th June 2009, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 12th June 2009, 11:02 AM

MIJ from what I have are the best in the country.
I know loads of guys from up here in Scotland who make the massive trip down just to get their exhausts done.
A good x-pipe setup will improve your performance and it has been said, release up to 10% more power
Old 12th June 2009, 12:35 PM

MIJ are okay, but my exhuasts on my A8 dropped after I had them fitted, luckily they are not that far from me so they sorted them out FOC. If anyone gets exhuasts fitted from there then please make sure they are dead on straight.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 14th June 2009, 10:25 AM

Mine are MIJ and the sound difference is fantastic. You pick the endpipes you want and whether you want NASCAR (like Singh's previous car ) or just a deeper rumble. I got the entire system for 360 quid and they said they'd do the same deal for anyone from the forum (including two extra back silencers that other customers didn't ask for).

They need to remove your towing eye and cut the lower valance.

Since having mine fitted, it's sometimes embarassing the amount of people (not just chavs) who look to see what's making the V8 noise.
Old 14th June 2009, 12:50 PM

Sounds just the job! Not too 'boomy' for motorway driving?
Old 14th June 2009, 12:58 PM

When going along the motorway at a constant speed you cant hear them, its only when you boot it your rewarded with the V8 soundtrack.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 14th June 2009, 02:26 PM

Default Class!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
When going along the motorway at a constant speed you cant hear them, its only when you boot it your rewarded with the V8 soundtrack.
Added to your drilled airbox rumble, this must sound absoluetly awesome

Need to get myself along to the next Meet to 'hear them in the flesh'...