A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 17th April 2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
I bought a job lot of Aldi wiper blades a while back, (Made in Germany) shortly after I bought the car, think they were £4.99 per set. I have only used 3 sets in the 8 years I have had the car..have one set left...a bargain I think
Did you have an Aldi voucher?

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 18th April 2019, 09:25 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
LOL! Sorry for those who don’t know the joke, but Brian is also known as ‘Voucherman’, for reasons you can guess.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 18th April 2019, 10:54 PM

Genuine Audi wiper blades, Left and right are ordered separately:
4B0 955 425 + 4A0 955 425 B
You buy them only one time and they'll last forever

They are made made by SWF, which is premium German brand
with IMHO best proprietary 'rubber replacement system'

Then all you buy is replacement rubbers:
part number 895 955 429 A
You need 2 pcs each time

You remove wiper blades and there's a clever SWF proprietary system to replace just rubbers
I do this since 2010 every year and I never replaced my wiper blades any more

SWF are by far the best

Now
DO NOT buy 2-in-1 blades kit part number 4B0 998 003 made by Valeo
They are proper crap

Don't thank me
Old 18th April 2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Nah, just liked them because they were black

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 21st April 2019, 09:51 AM

Default Just my two penneth...

I had some Michelin 'aero-style' wipers...

Michelin MSW12922 Stealth Hybrid Wiper 55 cm
Michelin MSW12921 Stealth Hybrid Wiper, 53 cm

... which lasted for 4 years but they sometimes juddered on the windscreen and I was looking to replace the pair recently as the nearside wiper rubber had separated and was leaving a 2 inch wide strip on the windscreen.

I opted for the Bosch AR22U (driver's side) and AR21U (passenger side). These are probably the easiest wiper blades to fit, as they come with a press/snap fit cover. The only caveat is that the passenger-side wiper blade is not in contact with the windscreen for the last inch or so when in the parked position. I've only just fitted them yesterday but they do wipe beautifully. Perhaps that naughty passenger side wiper blade will gradually shape to the contours of the windscreen over time.

Johnny G
Old 21st April 2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_quattro View Post
I had some Michelin 'aero-style' wipers...
Not sure what brand mine currently are, but they're both straight "Aero" blades and park nicely on the black section of glass.
The passenger side is oversize at 23" and misses the surround by only a couple of mm when parked.
The drivers side is a very oversize 26" which gives good coverage but does wipe over a section of the trim at the top. Though given the curvature there it's a minimal contact.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:00 AM

what did D2's have as ~OE ?
awaiting a new screen for my FL ~I have had a google and find offers on

flat 2 x 550mm
flat 1 x 550 for drivers side , 1 x 500 passenger
traditional 2 x 550
traditional 1 x 550 , 1 x 500

at the moment have 2x 550 traditional which seem to fit just right ; now I see andrew must have a bigger screeen !

decisions, decisions

currently inclined towards the bosch flat flat 500/550 combo presuming that,s the ~OE
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:19 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I believe the original blades were:

Drivers side: 4B0955425 (Prefixed with an S for the spoiler type, I think).
Passenger side: 4A0955425B (Which is a curved blade)

I've had at least a couple of sets of genuine blades but I much prefer the aero blades now.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:49 AM

thanks mark et al
looks like a pair of bosch aero then...~i was a bit concerned that the ~OE was curved on the driver side but as consensus is that the modern flat blades does the job well have finalised on that in 500/550
Old 23rd April 2019, 01:04 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

The passenger side is the curved one, but not in the way you might expect. Or at least it wasn't what I expected when I first saw one.

While looking for a photo of one, I found this Ebay listing by A8parts for a pair of genuine blades:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A8-D...-/132111764701

It's difficult to see what I mean from the angle of that photo but I'm not talking about the usual curvature of a wiper blade as it wraps around the windscreen. The blade is actually permanently bent, such that you would see the curvature if you looked at it from directly above (with the blade stood upright on the rubber).

Another disadvantage of the OE blades I found, was that the curvature meant that the passenger side blade couldn't be parked as low as the drivers side blade. The asymmetry of the OE blades bugged me too and, being higher and more visible, I thought they looked a bit ugly.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 23rd April 2019 at 01:10 PM.