A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 10th December 2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The purple tint is just the heat-resistant coating - both types can have that.

If they have somehow been torn off a real heated screen then there is no way to reattach. IIRC the connector tails are bonded to the coating on the screen right at the edge. You'd have to take the screen out to see if the pads are there for the tails, which would destroy it, heated or not. The lower connections are at the outside corners so it may be worth taking the lower dash or glovebox off to see if you have the same torn tails at the corners as well. The tails get caught in the screen adhesive so I think it is very likely they came off when the original heated screen was removed.

It seems to me like IR-H is heat-reflective (InfraRed), heated, and IR is just heat-reflective. The German translations use the same letters (infrarot, heizung).
****ed off is an understatement
Old 10th December 2020, 03:26 PM

Gutted for you. You think you're getting somewhere with a job only to find that it impossible to complete - not even a visit to the D2 Doctor can help.
Old 10th December 2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Gutted for you. You think you're getting somewhere with a job only to find that it impossible to complete - not even a visit to the D2 Doctor can help.
I'll leave everything in place and hope one day I'll be able to buy heated screen
Old 10th December 2020, 03:43 PM

If you're determined enough, Pilkington Classics may be able to help. I doubt it'll be cheap, but maybe a batch would bring the price down if a few of us wanted them.
Old 10th December 2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
If you're determined enough, Pilkington Classics may be able to help. I doubt it'll be cheap, but maybe a batch would bring the price down if a few of us wanted them.
Well, mine is getting to the point of needing replacement. Its had a (repaired) star-shaped "dink" just above the line of vision ever since i bought it and it has suffered badly from all over gravel blasting on the heavily salted scottish roads.

Edit:Just checked the Pilkington site and they have windscreens for Audi 80/100s up to 1989 so it would be a one-off.

Last edited by David's8; 10th December 2020 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10th December 2020, 04:32 PM

I will get in touch with them and see if they're able to help at all and what's the potential cost if there is enough interest. You don't ask you don't get.
Old 10th December 2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunker7 View Post
I will get in touch with them and see if they're able to help at all and what's the potential cost if there is enough interest. You don't ask you don't get.
I have emailed them this afternoon - I should have edited my earlier post
Old 31st December 2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
I have emailed them this afternoon - I should have edited my earlier post
Any updates on this?
Old 31st December 2020, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the reminder but nothing heard! That's not encouraging. Maybe a phone call in the new year?
Old 31st December 2020, 06:34 PM

So does this mean if you had a damaged screen and went through insurance, there isn't any company out there that can supply these? Or were they only supplied by Audi?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder