A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 8th May 2021, 09:08 AM

Default Getting spilled paint out of interior

I came across this insurance write-off A6 Allroad https://auctions.synetiq.co.uk/aucti...-estate/154795 that has been written off because of paint spillage all around the inside of car and was thinking abut taking a punt but I have to say it's already been bid up more than I was thinking. I think it's £12k car without the damage and write-off category and was thinking bidding about £8k for it but it's now already over £9k. If I was going to buy it I would probably keep it for 10 years so I am not worried about saleability of write off car. Replacing all the affected parts would cost a fortune and take a lot of time so would like to know if it would be possible to remove most of paint without causing damage. If it was cheap enough I could even live with leaving paint as it is and just use it myself as not looking to sell it for a long time anyway and even a good one will not be worth much in 10 years time but I am afraid the price is already too high for that. If it was reasonably possible to remove the paint I might bid a bit more, it does not help that I don't know what the paint was, is it based on latex, vinyl, alkyl, acrylic, epoxy, cellulose? I guess the chances are it's latex as I think that's what most wall/ceiling paints are made of these days.

I see there are some paint stripper options that are marketed as safe for plastic or polystyrene and most of the parts are either plastic, leather (most likely coated in vinyl which is also plastic) and carpets are generally made of rayon and nylon also plastics so there may be a way to remove paint.

Any suggestions welcome about the paint removal or the car in general.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 8th May 2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old 8th May 2021, 12:09 PM

I've got some Zep multi task wipes that are surprisingly good at getting specs of dried paint off most surfaces, which might work on the hard plastics. I suspect the carpet is a complete non-starter without soaking them in some fairly serious chemicals, and you'll invariably end up with dye coming out of the carpet. That rear centre console panel looks like it'll have to be changed.

Frankly I don't think it's worth the time and effort - it's not like they're difficult to find undamaged.....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 8th May 2021, 02:07 PM

My view is if your going to keep it 10 years, get a clean one, that by you maths would be about an extra £25 a month, before it's bid up further!?
Old 8th May 2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
My view is if your going to keep it 10 years, get a clean one, that by you maths would be about an extra £25 a month, before it's bid up further!?
That's a good point Paul makes.

But, if you found yourself succumbing to the urge to buy this car it's worth bearing in mind that what paint can not be removed can be painted over.
Old 9th May 2021, 07:09 AM

...as with every insurance write off I have bought over the years the car WILL cost you more than a good 'non write off' example.

That paint has got round the buttons for the rear seat heater controls, buttons round the gearshift etc and up the main dash by the looks of it.....I would say you will need an interior swap to make it worthwhile.....finding a clean interior to the same spec will take you right up to the cost of a good example.

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk