A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 14th December 2021, 11:00 AM

Yep, I'm done with it. I was looking forward to seeing the new cars next year but the FIA making up the rules as they go along, the Discovery-esque BS from the team bosses, and the FIA's total disregard for their own equality message was enough that I've just given up.

I cancelled my Sky subscription and TV licence yesterday since F1 was the only thing I used either for. The only way I can register my frustration with the FIA is to take my money away so I made it very clear to Sky that's why I was cancelling.

Its such a shame they have ruined the sport when Liberty appeared to be on the right track to rescuing it. Ross Brawn's fixation on the stupid sprint race hasn't helped. Motorsport is dying along with the combustion engine, since electric racing is so awful. It would have been nice to see F1 live its last few years with some well balanced cars and a mixed up grid.
Old 14th December 2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKY D View Post
Two days later and I’m still incensed by how that ended.

After nearly 30 years following the sport I think I’m done with F1. I can’t explain it, but the actions from Sunday have extinguished the flame for me. Maybe I will feel differently when the new season begins?

Right now, I would love for Hamilton to retire and walk away from the sport. I have a feeling this may have killed his love for the sport that he has given so much to.
Would not blame Mercedes if they quit either, including engine supplies
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 15th December 2021, 09:19 PM

FIA probe, too little, too late? https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/fi...versy/6885615/
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th December 2021, 10:18 PM

The nerve of the FIA blaming of the F1 teams and fans for a 'misunderstanding'. They are behaving like an abuser and blaming the victim.
No investigation is needed. We know what went wrong, Massi did not follow the rules.
Old 16th December 2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Yep, I'm done with it. I was looking forward to seeing the new cars next year but the FIA making up the rules as they go along, the Discovery-esque BS from the team bosses, and the FIA's total disregard for their own equality message was enough that I've just given up.
So Mercedes have decided to not appeal and "separately" Susie Wolff boss of the Venturi Formula E team (and wife of Toto as we know), criticised the FIA in a strongly worded statement of her own including saying:
Quote:
I hope by March next year there is a governing body with sporting integrity and fairness at its core so I can fall back in love with F1.
Hmmmmmm…..
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 16th December 2021, 11:58 AM

Well that was a race that will never be forgotten, but for all the wrong reasons. F1 wanted to make the race into some sort of soap opera and in their constant efforts to create a show, they forgot there are rules that need to be adhered to.

I was very fortunate to be there for the Abu Dhabi GP, my first ever GP I've been to. The atmosphere was electric. I'll try adding some pics when I can
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 16th December 2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
So Mercedes have decided to not appeal
Wanted to confirm that on the F1 site before commenting, now that the season has 'finally' finished!

I didn't watch the race live, but as soon as the podium ceremony was finished, I headed over to the F1 site to see what the 'real' result was. No surprises then about the appeals that had been lodged, but still waited to find out if the championship was going to be decided two months down the line in a court.

The FIA seriously have to get their act together to run the 'epitome of motor racing'. I've always criticised track limits on the entire circuit (keep within the white lines!) and the last couple of years where they apply track limits to certain corners at the drop of a hat between sessions, quali and the race.

Martin Brundle also made a comment recently about the lapped cars debacle and said that they should just drop to the back of the field instead of passing the pace car and then having to catch up to the back before bringing in the pace car. I suppose it has probably something to do with them completing the extra lap so they will have used the same amount of fuel and aren't at an advantage.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 16th December 2021, 02:59 PM

The 'reason' for lapped cars having to overtake and unlap themselves is to do with the transponders which 'mess up' if there were to drop back down the field ie they will show them on the incorrect lap. It's amazing that with all the technology they have, they cannot press a button and put the drivers back on the same lap as the leaders.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 16th December 2021, 04:25 PM

Default No surprise, really...

To me, this just strikes me as yet another sporting debacle (like cricket, football, etc...) where amateurish management and neanderthal governance is colliding with serious money-driven business interests.

Conflict and collision is inevitable, and real fans are incidental when this happens.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 17th December 2021, 08:33 AM

some quite strong rumours that both Toto and Lewis will not be back
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011