A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 28th December 2021, 10:11 AM

Default Heated rear screen

It appears my heated rear screen is on the wonk, I now only get 2 very thin bars. Does anyone know where the wires are hiding and how to take of the trim so I can see the wire connectors so I can give it a good look over and possibly apply a solution to the situation that I’m wanting to try. Thanking you ta.

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 28th December 2021, 10:32 AM

The connections are behind the C pillar trims. I can't comment on specifics of taking that out of a PF, but in the FL there is a T30 bolt hiding behind the front A-pillar trim, and then another one behind the coat hook (which the PF may not have). Once those are out the actual C pillar part is held in by spring clips which can be prised out. Take care not to kink the trim panel - I find that once the top is loose its best to try and slide an arm down behind it, popping the clips out as you go.

The FL has some stupid stuff going on for the roof airbags which I don't think will apply to the PF.

There may be some antenna amplifiers also connected to the heating element, depending on the spec.
Old 28th December 2021, 01:55 PM

That sounds wildly complicated, I’d expect nothing less! I need rear window trim off, take off full roof lining sides thanks, I’ll have a peek in my days off

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 28th December 2021, 02:07 PM

There's a thread somewhere describing how Ian (IT) took a lot of the interior out of I think a PF to get at the radio feeds.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 29th December 2021, 07:02 PM

So I’ve had a little peep behind the cover without taking it off, there was room enough to see what I needed to without dismantling the whole lot, and it appears that the ribbon cable that joins the heated film element in the screen to the wiring is becoming detached at the glass. Guess that accounts for the gradually failing screen. Looks like I’m going to have to try my plan B option of installing a heated window to restore winter rear visibility. It might not work but I’ll be a guinea pig.

Old 29th December 2021, 07:58 PM

Can you not glue it back on with some conductive glue or conductive silver paint?

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 30th December 2021, 06:41 AM

It looks to be a plastic coated copper ribbon cable and the joint appears to be splitting away at the glass side. I don’t know if this will work but it’s worth a shot I suppose. I can’t be the only one with a dying heated rear window, it’s lost various thin stripes over the past few winters but now a big chunk in the middle is dead so I only get 2 thin clearing stripes so going backwards is like driving a transit van. Has anyone else managed a repair? My other option is to put in a heating element kit. It won’t need anything wiring in as it can run off the OE supply and switch, it just has 2 unsightly bus bars either side of the screen but that’s just cosmetic, and at least I can then demist the back glass because it’s awfully irritating having misted back glass and no AC below 5 Celsius to clear it!