A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 3rd January 2022, 07:16 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Great to see WITW back again!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:35 PM

A trying day today and not much done. Rear deck and pillar trims back in.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	261.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	27604   Click image for larger version

Name:	262.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	27605   Click image for larger version

Name:	263.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	27606   Click image for larger version

Name:	264.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	27607  
Old 4th January 2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
That's a lot of work for dimming mirror. Must be someone who is happy to pay extra for close to OEM integration. Would have been easier just to tap in wires by the sunroof control/interior lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Amazing work as ever.
Personally, having fitted auto-dim mirrors in a number of cars over the years I find the "un-dim in reverse" totally irrelevant so ignored it every time, the last being on my PF S8, but serious brownie points for doing it right!

I guess the nearest reverse signal is the long (red/blue?) wire that runs all the way from (I don't know where) via the F125 then the RNS to the back of the car, so yes hardly convenient.
I was going to say the same thing. I guess if it's already mostly apart it's not too much extra to do it right.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 4th January 2022, 11:25 AM

I hope the heater for your workshop is still working this week!

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 4th January 2022, 12:10 PM

I haven't had to use it yet this winter. Today is the first day the temperature is much below 10c (3 this morning), and I'm busy enough not to notice at the moment. It may be needed if it stays like this, but I have plenty of kerosene if it is
Old 5th January 2022, 11:03 AM

Headlining etc looking spotless!!

Is there a guide to what cleaners to use and how to clean these? also can they be done in situ? My '8's headlining is a little grubby in places and I just dont have the time / faith in my own abilities to remove it....
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 5th January 2022, 11:51 AM

I use Quantum upholstery cleaner from TPS, partly because it smells of bakewell tart instead of vomit and hospitals like most of them do, but also because its very effective.

For the actual headlining I'll mist it on and wipe off very gently with a freshly washed microfibre as the foam in the headlining is quite delicate so any sort of pressure will ruin it. The pillar trims are much more robust and can take some light agitation with a nailbrush and then a wipe with a microfibre will lift most dirt out. Again, mist it on rather than soaking as the glue could come undone. Same goes for the rear deck.

Its obviously much easier on the bench, but I wouldn't take one out just to clean it as there is a high risk of damage.
Old 5th January 2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I use Quantum upholstery cleaner from TPS, partly because it smells of bakewell tart instead of vomit and hospitals like most of them do, but also because its very effective.

For the actual headlining I'll mist it on and wipe off very gently with a freshly washed microfibre as the foam in the headlining is quite delicate so any sort of pressure will ruin it. The pillar trims are much more robust and can take some light agitation with a nailbrush and then a wipe with a microfibre will lift most dirt out. Again, mist it on rather than soaking as the glue could come undone. Same goes for the rear deck.

Its obviously much easier on the bench, but I wouldn't take one out just to clean it as there is a high risk of damage.
Fascinating: would it be possible (if/when you get any spare time... ) for you to summarise these tips and tricks here at some point please MJ? : http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17

I had a very quick look on this to check/compare, but the guidance there seems to be more bits and bobs on this, and quite old (but I may be wrong...)

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 5th January 2022, 06:28 PM

It's on youtube!!

https://youtu.be/dKu8dOkaoWg
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 5th January 2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummagnet View Post
It's on youtube!!
It popped up on my YouTube recommended list and saved it for later viewing. Didn't realise it was this particular S8.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds