A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 19th November 2021, 06:41 PM

The only way is to take the airbag off the steering wheel and look for the sticker. I'll get a photo tomorrow. Two T30 screws in the back of the wheel. Keep the ignition off and its safe to handle.
Old 20th November 2021, 06:46 AM

Is Audi actually fixing the airbags for the B5's etc over there?

Here, we have BMW replacing all E46 airbags, and Mercedes replacing all W202/3 airbags.
As for Audi: "we'll buy your car off you for fair market value, or you can sign this waiver..."

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 20th November 2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The only way is to take the airbag off the steering wheel and look for the sticker. I'll get a photo tomorrow. Two T30 screws in the back of the wheel. Keep the ignition off and its safe to handle.
Old 20th November 2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
Is Audi actually fixing the airbags for the B5's etc over there?

Here, we have BMW replacing all E46 airbags, and Mercedes replacing all W202/3 airbags.
As for Audi: "we'll buy your car off you for fair market value, or you can sign this waiver..."
The letter I have says they're going to replace the gas cylinder or something. Should take about an hour, no mention of buying the car off me.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 29th November 2021, 07:27 PM

My letter just arrived. New airbag in a 24 year old car…crazy times. Having to take a day off work for it fitting which is a waste of a damn holiday day. Old girl won’t have seen the inside of a main dealer in at least 2 decades. They happily asked when booking if they could remind me of MoT and servicing….noooooo. Thanks anyway. They would also like to give it a safety check. Also noooooo. Just do what you gotta and I’ll be on my way, sooner the better. If I have to take a day off, I want as much of it for the list I got of things to do, and having Audi flog me stuff isn’t one of them!

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 13th January 2022, 09:38 AM

I'm at Bristol Audi now waiting for the recall to be complete. Nearly went with a loan car but decided to wait, they're going to wash and vac after too which will be nice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220113_1024273.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	545.3 KB
ID:	27653

Last edited by pete-p; 13th January 2022 at 10:11 AM.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:29 AM

I bet thats the first time some of the techs have even seen a D2!

It'll be interesting to hear what they actually do - I presume they are simply replacing the bag, rather than the whole steering wheel centre.

I have lots of recall letters, but all the 8's they pertain to are in bits so I haven't got any of my own to take
Old 13th January 2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I bet thats the first time some of the techs have even seen a D2!
I'm sure it is. It was getting some looks from the techs and I could hear them enjoying the engine sound as it came in. I had to laugh though as the tech first couldn't work out how to open the boot, he was feeling for a release button above the number plate, finally found the button in the driver's door pillar though. Then he took a while trying to find the battery in the boot and started looking by the spare wheel before going away and then looking in the correct place!

Not sure what they will actually replace, I've not asked but the letter suggests it's the gas generator but can this be replaced on it's own or is it part of a larger assembly.

Old 13th January 2022, 11:15 AM

Gas generator that's it. I'm fairly sure that can be unbolted from the back of the airbag assembly and they are mostly the same, so it should be a fairly simple job and not require all the different colours and shapes of steering wheel centres
Old 13th January 2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete-p View Post
I'm at Bristol Audi now waiting for the recall to be complete. Nearly went with a loan car but decided to wait, they're going to wash and vac after too which will be nice.

Attachment 27653
Last time I let an Audi dealer "wash and vac" my S8, they ended up having to pay out about £100 to have the deep scratch marks removed from the boot by my detailer, after they let a trainee loose on "polishing" it without supervision . Hopefully your dealer is better than that.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.