A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Spotless

Spotless For all your cleaning discussions....

Old 8th April 2010, 07:46 PM

Default how do you clean the chromey bits?

This may have been covered before but a refresher for all is useful (and i can't be bothered trawling for the posts) How do you clean the chromey bits?!? its well documented that they aren't chrome and chrome cleaner ruins them big time, so what do i use instead? they look a little dull on mine and since i just washed it and gave it a polish (looked great pre polish, even better after, just the previous owners parking mishaps marring the finish) but my trims look neglected...any suggestions?

the picture is prepolish....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	audi cleaned.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1031  

Last edited by Conan_the_Librarian; 8th April 2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Embed Photos
Old 8th April 2010, 09:33 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

The trim around the windows is lacquered anodised aluminium. You may get an improvement with a gentle use of a plastic polish, but the tarnish is on the aluminium below or in the lacquer.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 9th April 2010, 08:32 AM

Autosol polish tends to sort mine for a few days, but until you get the lacquer off, you'll never get it properly sorted (unless you replace it().

I know.. I know..

Old 9th April 2010, 03:05 PM

i think they still have the laquer, they are still silver, not tarnished persay, more kind of water marked like they need polishing. Just to rub salt in the wounds, having polished it and made it look nice some kind soul has scuffed my drivers side rear door trim in a car park leaving some scratches, I know the scratches weren't there yesterday...I JUST POLISHED THE DAMN THING GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR now i'm going to have to t cut the ~£"#$£% thing
Old 9th April 2010, 07:27 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

T CUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.

Previously
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
Old 9th April 2010, 07:57 PM

theres already paint missing where the deeper marks are...t cutting a bit more won't matter...i fear the damage is done already!

i'm open to less harsh suggestions...sadly finding the guilty party and extracting revenge is not less harsh....it may be old but apart from the bumpers it was in fine shape..now i got wounds...just because they're small wounds makes me not a happy bunny.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:45 PM
munman

Default Chromey Bits

Tried Autosol on mine today,useless. I will search Halfords in the morning for something that might work!
Old 10th April 2010, 06:02 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B@fink View Post
theres already paint missing where the deeper marks are...t cutting a bit more won't matter...i fear the damage is done already!

i'm open to less harsh suggestions...sadly finding the guilty party and extracting revenge is not less harsh....it may be old but apart from the bumpers it was in fine shape..now i got wounds...just because they're small wounds makes me not a happy bunny.
Try
http://www.detailedobsession.com/cat...products_id=80 on a duel action polisher. It's excellent,

Watch it if you dare

Currently,

Previously
Old 10th April 2010, 06:44 AM

less aggresive than t cut? its only on the rubbing strip trim thankfully but i'll give it a go but using elbow grease. I'm hoping that the excellent stone chip guide using touch up paint then polishing back but being a bit less aggressive might help......... not best impressed though...it's not like anyone could say they couldn't see it...its huge, silver and for a rare change was shiny.