A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 11th April 2014, 02:20 PM

And in the meantime I downloaded the DailyRoads Voyager app for my Android phone. Not bad but the lens obviously isn't wide angle like it is on a dedicated dashcam. Still produced an HD quality video though...

View My Video

Here's a screenshot from it:

- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Last edited by Conquistador; 11th April 2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11th April 2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
How about an app and holder for phone then you can have phone, satnav and dashcam all in one.
Great idea! I should have gone for android or i-phone, unfortunately I have a crappy windows phone, 520. Maybe when my current gps quits I will just replace it with a good phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
That's the one I got, but from a uk supplier. Tested it indoors works fine, just a bit large though, I think M-A8's camera suggestion is better, should have waited.

Another random idea - if the rear view mirror has enough room inside maybe a small camera can be installed within, and a small hole drilled in the plastic housing? I know its not ideal to drill the original trim.

Last edited by Goran; 11th April 2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11th April 2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Great idea! I should have gone for android or i-phone, unfortunately I have a crappy windows phone, 520. Maybe when my current gps quits I will just replace it with a good phone.
You could try out 'Action Cam' for Windows Phone:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...6-b3ca0b8f5053

Trial version limited to one minute, and full price is 99c.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 11th April 2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:

That's the one I got, but from a uk supplier. Tested it indoors works fine, just a bit large though, I think M-A8's camera suggestion is better, should have waited.

Another random idea - if the rear view mirror has enough room inside maybe a small camera can be installed within, and a small hole drilled in the plastic housing? I know its not ideal to drill the original trim.
I mentioned before to someone about fitting a lense In the rear view mirror and have a raspberry pi with a hard drive in the glove box, but what I'll be thinking about it to take the housing off this camera I suggested earlier and fitting all the bits inside the rear view mirror

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 12th April 2014, 11:57 AM

Its a great idea, please post pictures if you go ahead with it I would like to see how it looks inside the rearview mirror.
There is another crazy option using the on-board cameras we rc plane guys use.
These have a tiny transmitter which could easily transmit to any location in the car (where the recorder is housed), however there is the question of longevity of the transmitter on long trips of several hours as they do get warm.

http://www.fpvhobby.com/95-8ghz-mini-combset.html

I should add, some of the power outputs on some frequencies are illegal in the UK for civilian use.
Old 12th April 2014, 12:07 PM

Why don't you get a remote camera mounted in the grill like the newer cars.

I did contemplate fitting one as a parking aid but don't see why it could be used for both.

For me the parking aid would be useful as I burst the shed wall yesterday much to the pleasure of the missus who had been telling me it would happen for months.

Old 12th April 2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Its a great idea, please post pictures if you go ahead with it I would like to see how it looks inside the rearview mirror.
There is another crazy option using the on-board cameras we rc plane guys use.
These have a tiny transmitter which could easily transmit to any location in the car (where the recorder is housed), however there is the question of longevity of the transmitter on long trips of several hours as they do get warm.

http://www.fpvhobby.com/95-8ghz-mini-combset.html

I should add, some of the power outputs on some frequencies are illegal in the UK for civilian use.
It's a quiet difficult project and a spare rear view mirror would help. There is a question where to locate buttons, moving them from the PCB shouldn't be a problem, cut out for a memory card could be located somewhere in the bottom. Biggest problem would be the LCD, ideally so it will look like that

but as they are dimmable, this might be the biggest issue.

PCB is very small

Other idea I mentioned could be slightly possibly slightly better, mounting just the lens in the mirror's housing and having raspberry pi in the glove box together with the hard drive or some sort of storage device plus this
http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pi...FUmWtAodkWkAGg

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 23rd May 2014, 02:55 PM

Finally got around to fitting my dashcam, and uploaded a short clip to YouTube. It was just one I was playing with, so isn't the best.

http://youtu.be/IRMUsdQvLGc

So far as being discreet, here's what it looks like from outside.

and if you look really close, you see this:

The only thing I haven't managed to do with it is to disable the chime when it switches on and off with the ignition.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 23rd May 2014, 03:24 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Looking forward to seeing this in a couple of weeks
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 25th November 2014, 09:50 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Hi Sean,

Did you buy the bracket too? I think I might go for this one. Marcin lost me quite a few posts ago!

Did you take any photos whilst fitting it? I'd love to see some datails of where you picked the power up from and where you routed the wiring
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).

Last edited by The_Laird; 25th November 2014 at 09:52 AM.