A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 4th March 2014, 04:07 PM

Literally cannot get to the bottom of the bottle thing, I'm just not 'mechanical' enough to do that... tried poking the nozzles at the bonnet, and nothing has changed.
Old 4th March 2014, 04:12 PM

I will try later on to make a step by step guide inc. photos and tools, trust me, it's very simple 5-10min

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 4th March 2014, 04:16 PM

Peeling back the lining behind the wheel freaks me out a bit, scared if I don't put something back correctly not to mention the warnings of legionnaires lol!

Thing is, I've had two minor things needed doing to my car since I've bought it, one is changing a headlight and one is fitting a tracker...

To this day, the three mechanics I've asked to do my headlight have given me the car back saying they can't do it - and I'm not taking it to Audi as they want £292+VAT....

As with the tracker, a job that should've taken the guy 15 minutes took him three hours and calling out a senior engineer, before finally having it installed allbeit not very well inside the cabin, throwing up the next problem in which the A8 somehow insulates the cabin so well there is no signal getting out of the car!

Seems to me like this A8 as beautiful and amazing as it is, was not designed to be touched, tinkered or played about with by anyone other than Audi engineers themselves!
Old 4th March 2014, 04:38 PM

Just done it, picture will follow in next 5min, let me just edit them, it takes 5min to do it and put the lining back is as easy as making a cup of tea, you have to pull only a part of it.

To change headlight you need to take the bumper off but again, its easy.
If you will ever be in London and will have spare 2-3 hours I could always do that for you. Done it few times now and got all the tools needed to do it smoothly.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 4th March 2014, 04:52 PM

Ok I'll give it a go seeing as you've been so kind enough to make an image how-to for me, really appreciate it mate

As for the headlight yeah if i'm ever nearby i'll definitely give you a shout and get you a few beers for the help... last i remember mechanic said i had to remove the wheels and several parts of the engine to get to the headlights etc... ballache!
Old 4th March 2014, 04:55 PM

All you need is a TORX but certain flat head screwdriver will do the job as well

Just pull the lining, impossible to damage anything

Unplug the connector

Pull the pump out a little so you can have enough room to unclip the hose

If your bottle is full and water water is not gashing out at this stage then you know this will fix your issue.

Put pump on side as now you will have to pull a little rubber ring which is a filter and as soon you take it out water will gash out so keep the connector out of the way.

Let it drain and crack on with the rubber ring/filter
Remember, legionnaire spreads in the form of spray or steam.

You water company delivers even up to 4 bacteria of legionnaire a day, but its only dangerous in situations mentioned above. survives only in the range of 20-60 degrees

Clean the plastic mesh/filter, put it back, clip the hose back, insert the pump where it was, push the connector back on until clips, bend lining so the edge goes first behind the panel and it will all slide in nicely, 3 screws back on and you are done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1857.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	470.7 KB
ID:	7488   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1859.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	7489   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1861.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	7490   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1862.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	7491   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1863.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	7492  

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 4th March 2014, 04:58 PM

Thanks so much mate, I'll give that a go during daylight tomorrow. Really REALLY appreciate it. Fingers crossed it solves my issue!
Old 4th March 2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Ok I'll give it a go seeing as you've been so kind enough to make an image how-to for me, really appreciate it mate

As for the headlight yeah if i'm ever nearby i'll definitely give you a shout and get you a few beers for the help... last i remember mechanic said i had to remove the wheels and several parts of the engine to get to the headlights etc... ballache!
What a idiot !!!
Engine parts????

Wheels on, arches off, engine under tray pops down after undoing 3 screws, 7screws at the top, 3 on each side and bumper off, then another 4 or 6 per headlight to take unit out and then same thing in reverse to put it back, done, but it takes time

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 4th March 2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Thanks so much mate, I'll give that a go during daylight tomorrow. Really REALLY appreciate it. Fingers crossed it solves my issue!
You're welcome mate

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:16 AM

Hey M-A8!

I have been unable to get on the forums for a while, just forgot my password and so on but today managed it. Just wanted to say that your step-by-step guide was invaluable and that it solved the problem instantly.

I'm not mechanically minded or anything, but the guide was so simple even I could do it. So many many many thanks!