A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 1st May 2015, 01:42 PM

You don't hang about do you, so who else has a little front end project?

Old 1st May 2015, 10:23 PM

Not me.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 1st May 2015, 11:29 PM

Got a big one haha

Old 1st May 2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
You don't hang about do you, so who else has a little front end project?
No, not really, I wanted one long time ago and now is just perfect moment plus I came to conclusion of deserving a little treat after few months of sweat. Plus usually if I wait for too long the excuse or reason not to buy it pops out just like that from nowhere.

And if not the above then why not especially if it may look extra nice on this colour

Who??? Just look for another Akoya Silver D3 on the forum

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 2nd May 2015, 06:24 PM

Quick update with a little problem.

Picked this up today from Audi in the morning

And this is the problem, the grills dont fit. The whole purchase was base on a one number plate of a 2007 S8 which was ok as the details came up on the screen.
So the grills and bumper was for one and the same car.

After talking to Del and comparing his pictures, the part number of his S8 grill are exactly same.
They look the same, but also, the holes in the bumper for metal clips retaining the grill in place are missing.
Even if they were there the flat pins on the back of the grill would not line up.

My new grill

Del's grill

PN

Del's bumper

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2015-05-02_18-55-25.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	10667   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2015-05-02_18-55-44.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	10668   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2015-05-02_18-56-25.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	10669   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2015-05-02_18-56-30.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	10670   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2015-05-02_18-56-38.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	10671   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2015-05-02_18-56-52.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	10672   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2015-05-02_18-57-04.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	10673   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2015-05-02_18-57-11.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	10674   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2015-05-02_18-57-43.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	10675   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2015-05-02_18-57-55.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	347.3 KB
ID:	10678  

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 2nd May 2015, 07:20 PM

Yo Marcin. Car is looking sweeeeeeet! Nice one.

Ok so, being the perfectionist, you're not going to like the outcome.

You need to remove a section of the bumper behind the grille. I don't understand why it doesn't fit, when it should right..? I got the guys at the bodyshop to do it for me and they made a good job of it.

I've attached a pic.

You'll have to trust me that the remaining clips do the job perfectly well. In fact, it is an utter bitch to get them off again.

Sorry that I didn't have a magical cure they just need a little chop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	10679  

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 2nd May 2015, 07:21 PM

Not sure why but the picture has spun sideways... :-/

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 2nd May 2015, 07:31 PM

Becky, cheers for coming back to me so quickly, much appreciated

I was actually thinking about, but wasn't sure if there other clips will do the job, but from the sound of it they will.

How about cutting off them two flat pins, would that be sufficient you think or actually bumper is on the way even after cutting them off???

I'm finding strange that Del has the wholes in his bumper and I don't, it is same year's bumper, well, for the same year S8.
What is more annoying, that bumper and grills are matched base on the number plate and they dont fit.

I assume you don't remember the PNs for grills or bumper, original invoice for example??

Other then the intercooler hoses on the bottom on the passenger side on diesel cars which were a little b1tch, are there any other issues you have experienced and could share some tips??

Becky, thanks again

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 2nd May 2015, 07:39 PM

I honestly don't know the answer to whether cutting the clips will work as I let the bodyshop do the adjustments this time around. No part numbers to hand either I'm afraid. I'm in the middle of moving house and my stuff is literally everywhere. Major stress! (So could have done without another caliper motor ****ting itself on the rear...urgh!)

There were no other issues that I know of. The alignment can be a total arse with the wings, but I've never had to trim them. Just takes a while to get them tight.

Old 2nd May 2015, 07:48 PM

OK, that is at least a bit of good news. Even if the wings PNs for S8 and A8 are different, I wasn't expecting any serious issues as the only difference possibly is the arches it self being only slightly wider.
Bumper has a lot of flex so even 10mm off I think could easily adjusted.

I also found grills to go in very very tight there where they fit, and that is before the paint and lacquer being sprayed on.

I wonder if there are slightly different grills which would fit straight on this bumper.

PS moving house. I know how it is, moved to new house as well in January, but had fully refurbish it at the same time, my car was running ok but this whole refurbishment was like having hand brake engaged

Becky, once again thank you very much

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10