A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 22nd April 2015, 08:17 PM

Default How to restore body work strips

The chrome strips on my car are looking a bit oxidised. I was wondering does anyone know how to restore them. Are they actually made of chrome or aluminium?
01 Audi a8 fl sport - Grey, Bose, Glass Sunroof, S8 grill/mirror covers/wheels, Aftermarket Exhaust, very quick and lots of fun!!!!!....well I gave it one final push on the pedal to hear that v8 growl and then it was off to a new home.....
99 Audi a8 fl - Silver, Black alcantara seat/ S8 grill/side mirror, MFSW, Solar Sunroof, 17" Monoblocks (for that extra cushion of air), Rnsc, Bose.....great motorway cruiser....now gone to a new home
02 Final Edition S8 - Avus Silver, Extended Leather Pack III, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Servo, Blinds, Rear Seat Entairtainment with Playstation, Bose, Bi Xenons.....now gone to a new home
97 PF A8 4.2 quattro sport - Cashmere Grey, Servo, RNS E, Blinds, Bose, 20 Final Edition Alloys, LPG....sold sadly and will be missed
03 S4 V8 Saloon - Misano red, Manual, Milltek, Bose, Xenons, RNS E - Sold as of Feb 2012

Old 23rd April 2015, 05:49 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Sergey did a thread on this. A search on the forum should find it.

I've cleaned mine wheel a good chrome cleaner and coated them in wheel wax!

Edit: here it is: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4587

He powder painted them in the end
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).

Last edited by The_Laird; 23rd April 2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 30th April 2015, 11:05 PM

Default Polishing the silver strips

Well after some googling and watching some you tube videos on polishing aluminium, I finally found the answer in a little kit i bought from halfords.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-tra...-polishing-kit

I used the kit with my drill and with a little patience the oxidised aluminium strips were turning into a mirror finish.

Great little kit....I m sure could probably source the bits for cheaper on ebay but I did really have time to wait.

Sorry no pics was late in the day but you will defo be happy with the results!!!!!
01 Audi a8 fl sport - Grey, Bose, Glass Sunroof, S8 grill/mirror covers/wheels, Aftermarket Exhaust, very quick and lots of fun!!!!!....well I gave it one final push on the pedal to hear that v8 growl and then it was off to a new home.....
99 Audi a8 fl - Silver, Black alcantara seat/ S8 grill/side mirror, MFSW, Solar Sunroof, 17" Monoblocks (for that extra cushion of air), Rnsc, Bose.....great motorway cruiser....now gone to a new home
02 Final Edition S8 - Avus Silver, Extended Leather Pack III, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Servo, Blinds, Rear Seat Entairtainment with Playstation, Bose, Bi Xenons.....now gone to a new home
97 PF A8 4.2 quattro sport - Cashmere Grey, Servo, RNS E, Blinds, Bose, 20 Final Edition Alloys, LPG....sold sadly and will be missed
03 S4 V8 Saloon - Misano red, Manual, Milltek, Bose, Xenons, RNS E - Sold as of Feb 2012

Old 1st May 2015, 10:48 AM

Good to hear Ranj - I'd love to see some before and after pictures when you get some time!

2016 S3 Sportback
Old 2nd May 2015, 09:22 AM

Unprotected alu will get milky in a couple of months. A salty winter will ruin it.
Old 3rd May 2015, 12:11 PM

It sounds good and its great if you have found something to sort out the problem you have. The problem is that the milky effect (which frequently is the issue which has been raised many times in the past) occurs below the lacquer finish and that you have to remove the lacquer to deal with it. My trim on top of the bumper below the boot lid was really bad and it took some serious effort with wet and dry to remove the lacquer and get a good finish on the bare ally. I then spray coated with lacquer. It was OK (but not good) but has lasted quite a while.
Old 3rd May 2015, 01:05 PM

Has anyone tried chrome wrap on these parts?
Old 3rd May 2015, 03:14 PM

Default lacquer coating

I have to admit i was totally unaware of the lacquer coating...so will need to address that issue....but i was very impressed wit the ease i got the mirror finish back.