A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 19th November 2014, 02:28 PM

My company has a proper 'trade' account with TPS

However

Jim (Laird) appears to get a better discount than we do (Motor factors)
Old 19th November 2014, 03:41 PM

Our Mini is on its 3rd windscreen in just 2 years (they are quite susceptible as they are quite upright) and last time I insisted on an OEM screen because both OE ones had cracked from only relatively small impacts. Eventually got my own way after a couple of weeks arguing about it - no extra excess (it's already £125!) and they gave us £35 compo for it taking so long.

Not sure having Audi fit the screen is necessarily a good thing though, I'd rather have somebody that does it all day every day, Audi won't have had much practice at it.

Oh, I also refuse to deal with AutoGlass as they scratched the bonnet of the previous Mini fitting a new screen to that one, AutoWindscreens got our job instead
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 19th November 2014, 04:45 PM

To be honest I don't know if Audi will be doing the job itself, more likely they will have third party in to do the job. But because it goes through the dealer there is hope that correct materials, accessories and procedures will be used, like spacers, primers and 2 component adhesive which is not guaranteed going elsewhere.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 20th November 2014, 08:21 AM

You tend to find that certain windscreen companies use a cheaper quality screen.

Our company vehicles (mine in particular) had 3 screens in the peiod of a few weeks.

The original cracked,
The replacement lasted a week
The second one was also poor & cracked
The third one was a different OE spec brand
Old 20th November 2014, 08:35 AM

Its a shame the auto industry won't move on. I'm sure there are now versions of lexan/polycarbonate which are scratch resistant enough to serve as a windscreen.
And as a bonus if someone off a bridge throws a brick at your windscreen or a brick falls off a truck, it is unlikely to go through the windscreen and hit you. Unlike with standard windscreens they use now.
Old 20th November 2014, 09:44 AM

I don't know what standard windscreens are like nowadays, but I remember way back in the dark ages buying a Triumph Dolomite and one of the features of that was a triple-layer laminated windscreen which was supposedly very shatter-resistant.

I do recall a crow flying into the windscreen once when I was doing a "considerable" speed and there was an almighty bang, a very bloody mess but no damage whatsoever to the windscreen.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 21st November 2014, 07:32 PM

These screens are made in the same factories, but are very difficult to make, so they are graded into different qualities. The best go to VW/Audi, the next will be branded the glass company's name such as SEKURIT the distorted ones that are not bad enough to scrap will be unbranded or branded with a faux brand. If the Audi factory ordered a batch of screens they would be inspected and the whole batch rejected and the supplier told to collect them if they did not meet their standards, but Autoglass et al are more bothered about a deal on the price.
Old 7th December 2014, 02:06 AM

Got the windscreen fitted on Monday at Audi Northampton, they did not do the job themselves but had Corby Windscreens in to do the job. Only problem is that there was some corrosion under old windscreen so they did not provide any warranty for the job because of that. They cleaned it up and put some primer before new windscreen but there is no guarantee that it will not start to corrode again. Audi 2K adhesive was used as it's meant to be by Audi while going to the windscreen fitters directly they would most likely have used single component adhesive.

Audi was once again cheaper then TPS providing bigger discount with the list price of £330.74 including VAT, TPS price being £304, and Audi price including discount was £252.43, not that I care much as insurance is paying for it anyway. Other costs were £85 +VAT for Corby Windscreens for fitting and £39.98 +VAT for the 2K adhesive so you can see why windscreen fitters usually use 1K adhesive which is under £10. Total cost £450.73, all the paperwork sent to insurance, just waiting for £350 cheque to arrive.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 7th December 2014, 02:08 PM

Thanks that's good info, next time I need a windscreen fitted I will make sure I ask if they use the 2K Audi adhesive.