A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 20th January 2016, 12:26 PM

AFAIK John, the Webasto will fire up when the coolant is below 70 degrees and the outside ambient air temp is below 5 degrees. You should hear the pulsing of the dosing pump and there will be smoke/fumes emitted from just in front of the drivers side (RHD) front wheel in the under-tray.

To code in the Aux Heater screen, I just went into the AC/HVAC module in VCDS and selected option 7 - Coding and then added 2 to the number in the first box. Mine ended in 45 so I changed it to 47 and saved it and when you do an ignition off and then on again it will appear in the CAR > AC MMI menu.

Thanks guys, I have set my Aux Heater to come on this evening at 18:15 so I will nip out and see if I can hear any noises or gurgling. Bit odd that it had '3' in channel 10 of the adaption screen though if it didn't have a pump.

I have been thinking about this. I'm 99% sure I had this function when I bough the car. Then it went in to have a new instrument cluster fitted due to flickering lights on the speedo. There was a bit of a hoo-hah about it all from Audi and eventually it was done under original warranty. When I got the car back I noticed that "radio controlled clock" was an option on the MMI menu that was never there before (it doesn't work anyway as it doesn't have the module) but I'm wondering if they "accidentally" coded out the Aux Heater when fitting this instrument cluster. It does have the little flashing icons for the heating/ventilation when activated so that works.
Old 20th January 2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
I will check the values and paste back in this thread. IIRC there is a residual heater pump in near the heater matrix that circulates the coolant well enough but it is not activated just by coding.
Thanks Snap
Old 20th January 2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S View Post
AFAIK John, the Webasto will fire up when the coolant is below 70 degrees and the outside ambient air temp is below 5 degrees. You should hear the pulsing of the dosing pump and there will be smoke/fumes emitted from just in front of the drivers side (RHD) front wheel in the under-tray.

To code in the Aux Heater screen, I just went into the AC/HVAC module in VCDS and selected option 7 - Coding and then added 2 to the number in the first box. Mine ended in 45 so I changed it to 47 and saved it and when you do an ignition off and then on again it will appear in the CAR > AC MMI menu.

Thanks guys, I have set my Aux Heater to come on this evening at 18:15 so I will nip out and see if I can hear any noises or gurgling. Bit odd that it had '3' in channel 10 of the adaption screen though if it didn't have a pump.

I have been thinking about this. I'm 99% sure I had this function when I bough the car. Then it went in to have a new instrument cluster fitted due to flickering lights on the speedo. There was a bit of a hoo-hah about it all from Audi and eventually it was done under original warranty. When I got the car back I noticed that "radio controlled clock" was an option on the MMI menu that was never there before (it doesn't work anyway as it doesn't have the module) but I'm wondering if they "accidentally" coded out the Aux Heater when fitting this instrument cluster. It does have the little flashing icons for the heating/ventilation when activated so that works.
Thanks Lee.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 20th January 2016, 05:39 PM

Bollox... The Aux Heater fired up great on the timer but then conked out due to low battery voltage... Baaah !!
Old 20th January 2016, 06:10 PM

These are my notes sorry they are a bit rubbish.
Adaptation - channel value - meaning of that value

01 8=4˚ aux-heat
02 8=4˚ aux-heat
03 0= disabled WOT shutoff
06 0=intelligent aux-heat/vent
07 1=shut off timed aux-heat when ign off
08 1= voice recognition quiet mode (not implemented until late model)
16 1=activate aux-heat if required for residual heat function
18 0=shut off when energy manager says so
19 0=use aux-heat when required by heater demand
20 1=rear heated seats not switched off after 10 mins
21 1= add another line to MMI for engine pre-heat (coolant shut-off valve fitted)
Old 20th January 2016, 09:17 PM

[quote=Lee S;105134]Bollox... The Aux Heater fired up great on the timer but then conked out due to low battery voltage... Baaah !! [/QUOTE

Yes I have found this an issue with the aux heater , I use the car near enough every day but I don't work far away from home , so every morn slow progress in the school traffic and same coming home so the battery does not get a ' deep charge cycle ' and the cold weather takes its toll on the battery over night so I find the aux heater will work ok for a couple of mornings and then knock of due to the battery regulation monitoring safe guard shut down and the 'quiescent current ' fault codes .

I think if your car does get a good run everyday it will be ok , does anyone have any info on the factory system for aux heater that has the extra battery ??
I have already replaced the battery with a Bosch unit better than oe spec but still have issues ..... I have started taking a longer route to work just to give it some charge time ....hehe ,not a bad thing , would be interesting to see how the factory supplied aux heating cars work this out ... maybe use an AGM battery for the aux heater side ??

Lee s ....
Go into battery regulation module , just go through the adaptations ...think it's about group 6 have a look at the s.o.c block ....state of charge percentage , I have found when aux heater shuts down its normally around the 50 % area , the car always starts no problem though even after it has shut it off , if I take the car for a run over an hour or so the s.o.c is back up to 100%
Old 20th January 2016, 09:55 PM

Well I have enabled the battery meter via the hidden menu and it was allegedly at 20%. Had to do about 40 miles to get it back to 100%. See how long it lasts. It's warming up again tomorrow so probably wont need it but I will give it a try anyway.
Old 21st January 2016, 10:27 AM

Didn't work... came on and fired up and went off after about 4 or 5 minutes after a few gurgles and groans. Looks like I don't have the pump fitted so a bit odd as to why channel 10 was coded to '3' but never mind. I may get the pump fitted for next year. Just glad that the Webasto is serviceable and working fine. Thanks all.
Old 21st January 2016, 11:14 AM

What about doing what Snap D says about getting the 'rest pump ' to do the pumping
Old 21st January 2016, 11:51 AM

How do I do that? Do I just add Snap's adaption codes/values in and that's it? Sorry.. I'm a VCDS dunce...