A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 28th September 2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug View Post
It seemed to respond more to some sort of pressure. The closest I've ever heard, was a catalytic converter had broken up and made a similar sort of noise. Doesn't really sound like a pulley or tensioner as it would sound more consistent and be in tune with the RPM. These engines are pretty complex so it's going to be either something major, or something minor that's tricky to access.
Thanks.

The only other thing apart from the service was that I filled up with high octane diesel as my local place had run out of normal diesel. If anything, higher octane should be 'cleaner' I would expect.
Old 28th September 2016, 07:47 PM

Wow ! It sounds pretty rough on the second vid , clanky ..... even a bit cranky , doesn't sound like chains to me not consistent sort of slack rattle like chains do
You used a proper oil filter ? Nothing left behind in the oil filter pot from the old filter ?
Old 28th September 2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcanico Lee View Post
Wow ! It sounds pretty rough on the second vid , clanky ..... even a bit cranky , doesn't sound like chains to me not consistent sort of slack rattle like chains do
You used a proper oil filter ? Nothing left behind in the oil filter pot from the old filter ?
I didnt do the service. Im going back there tomorrow to get the MOT sorted, will ask them.
Old 28th September 2016, 10:11 PM

I take it you have checked oil level ?
Old 29th September 2016, 06:04 AM

Just about to. Car has started to.misfire badly rhis morning. Limped home, now sitting in my driveway reading codes.
Old 29th September 2016, 07:43 AM

Codes read, a number of glowplug warnings however this should only impact starting?

Only other fault related to the engine looks to be an issue with both MAFs. Ill copy / paste the exact text here. Ive read the codes before, never seen the MAFs come up, so this is a new issue. First occurance according to the codes is at 06h45 this morning which is when I was driving to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yd7Kgi78DI

It sounds even worse now and has a major misfire.
Old 29th September 2016, 07:51 AM

I found this from another thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ABTo42tKA

Interesting the sound of the engine at around 14 mins sounds similar. Also has a knocking sound.
Old 29th September 2016, 10:50 AM

One more vid, this time of the sounds it makes after it shuts off. Some noises and then a while later a sound of a valve or something closing or trying to open / close. Is this normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsbYNwmxQ6A

Someone else has suggested potential injector issue. Difficult to tell on a V8 as I can disconnect two injectors and its difficult to tell if the car is as rough as before or more. Im trying to identify if there is a dead injector or similar.

Does anyone know where on VCDS I can see the measurement blocks that might tell me that there is a missfire and which cylinder?
Old 29th September 2016, 04:02 PM

Ive started to take the inlet manifold off. Got one torx I cant get to so have ordered some tools for delivery tomorrow.

Want to see the swirl flaps and just get some more access to the top of the engine.

Is there a way to test / check the injectors? Ive been told not to disconnect them whilst the engine is running as they are piezo and can stay open if disconnected at the wrong time.

I also found in VCDS that there was one area where it seemed to suggest 15 mg/str of fuel being pumped. Thing is, it never changed whilst the others (looked similar measuring blocks) did.

I will also upload a video, some numbers were moving around alot, almost as if the 'shaking' of the motor was impacting something else too.
Old 30th September 2016, 05:12 PM

Ok, problem found. Broken inlet valve.