A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 5th January 2014, 08:00 PM

Default Suspension Level sensor checking

As per my other thread, my D3 is suffering from two faults. One maybe related to a slowly dying compressor but the other one.

01400 - Suspension Level Control
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

Could this be due to a faulty or otherwise problematic issue with one of the level sensors.

I have not been outside to check as its raining and has been all day, and now its dark as well. Earlier on after the warning lights popped up on the dash again, I switched off and restarted. No faults in more than 10 mins of idling, so I started adjusting the suspension settings in the car menu. Car was raising and lowering fine, perhaps slower than it should due to the potentially dying compressor. I moved the car to level ground, and I am sure I returned the car to the automatic position before switching off the ignition. From the lounge it looks like the left front wheel has a larger gap than I would expect. The rear looks like it does in the picture below this post, but the front has a larger gap than this picture.

After I drove the car yesterday, all four wheels were looking fine. Before yesterday, no issues at all. it also drove fine after restarting yesterday.

Now the house I live in is accessed via a typical compacted mud/stone farm track (200 yards of it), and it is has a number of large pot holes in it. I always drive slowly over them, but there are a couple of big ones. Could something to do with driving over these holes disturbed the level sensor as the supension will be articulating more than on a flat road.

I know the compressor is heading in the poorly direction, I know there are no leaks in the system as the car will hold the height its left at with no signs of sagging. I wonder if the issue with the suspension is perhaps due to a faulty level sensor, but how can I check?. I can check the electrical connection, but apart from swapping a possible suspect one out what else is there?
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 5th January 2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 23rd March 2014, 05:27 PM

I would unhook the the level sensor arms in turn, from the suspension, leaving it still linked to the relevant level sensors. Then with the engine running, slowly move the arm up, then down.

In theory, that should cause the airbag on the relevant strut to inflate, and deflate. This is best done on a 4 post vehicle lift, as all the road wheels need to be on the ground. Not sure how much room you've got to crawl under the car on the ground, or how robust you are to fit.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.