A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 30th December 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
MJs F125 diagnosis seems the most likely culprit.
And having finally done a VCDS scan my thoughts are definitely going that way.
Apart from the not unusual "01119 - Gear Recognition Signal 35-10 - - - Intermittent" in the ABS controller (03), I also had:
"17090 - Transmission Range Sensor (F125) P0706 - 35-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent" in the Transmission controller (02).
Now I don't think I've seen the latter code on either of my S8s in almost 18 years of ownership so it sticks out like a sore thumb!

I'll still acquire a spare relay anyway, but not treat it with any urgency.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 10th January 2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I'll still acquire a spare relay anyway, but not treat it with any urgency.
Spare relay arrived today from KMS http://www.kmsparts.com/ , it's a Meyle unit and is also identified as an 8D0 951 253A but everything in the spec seems correct.

Did a bit of testing with my bypass wire, original relay, Franks relay and the new one. Totally consistent results.
Basically it will no longer start, even moving the gear selector, with any relay installed. It starts perfectly with the bypass wire.

So it's a racing certainty that the F125 switch is the culprit, specifically the P/N circuit.
The reverse circuity is currently working fine, just as well really as that drives the reversing lights. Don't think that's an MOT issue though.

I'll be returning Franks kit shortly in case he needs it.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 10th January 2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10th January 2020, 02:22 PM

Don't worry about returning the relay, you keep it incase it comes in handy.

At this point, if I were you I'd be opening one of the relays up and forcing the contacts shut. It's only doing the same job as your bridge wire but may be safer if you want to put all the carpets back etc.

It will buy you some time until you get chance to sort out the F215 switch. I've never done one but from what I gather it's only £150 for the part but a real PITA to do.
Old 11th January 2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Spare relay arrived today from KMS http://www.kmsparts.com/ , it's a Meyle unit and is also identified as an 8D0 951 253A but everything in the spec seems correct.
Given Sean's earlier comments that seems fine. Basically the same relay given slightly different numbers for newer model ranges. 4H is the D4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
This is just a FYI, following Andrew identifying the relay, part number 431951253H.

Searching ETKA for that part number shows it was used in the A8 up until 1999, and is listed as being used 'for vehicles with auxiliary heater'. It then shows that it was superseded in 1997 with part number 141951253B, in 2005 with 8D0951253A, in 2007 with 8K0951253, and finally in 2010 with 4H0951253A.

Quote:
So it's a racing certainty that the F125 switch is the culprit, specifically the P/N circuit.
If it's anything like the problem MJ referred to on Neil's car then I could have a bit of one of the two P/N contacts floating around inside the F125. Hopefully moved off to a harmless position.
If I can ever get the switch off and take it apart I do have the advantage of my "old" switch which was worn but not broken. It's quite likely that putting the two together can produce one good one with a decent life ahead of it. Maybe just needs one of the little contacts moving from the spare arm to the broken one?

Edit: Just to add that a VCDS scan (after a few short journeys) now only shows the "typical" "01119 - Gear Recognition Signal 35-10 - - - Intermittent" so I suspect that whatever has broken isn't affecting things that much beyond the P/N circuit.

Last edited by HPsauce; 11th January 2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 22nd January 2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
a VCDS scan (after a few short journeys) now only shows the "typical" "01119 - Gear Recognition Signal 35-10 - - - Intermittent"
And even that hasn't recurred, todays scan after several more journeys is clean.