A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 18th December 2016, 06:32 AM

ainarssems - I did have the ignition on. I will check that battery voltage later this morning which may give a clue and let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
There's many faults in there. I'd suspect quite a few of them are old and related to low battery but the one that jumps out to me is the over temp of the air compressor.

That tells me you quite possibly have a leak in the suspension somewhere. If there is a leak then the suspension will be trying to level it's self periodically while your away from the car.

I don't know however if it will run the compressor or just use what's in the accumulator.

The other thing that jumps out is the instrument cluster fault. It's vague but I have seen on two occasions now where a faulty cluster keeps the can bus awake while the car is locked and that flattens the battery.

You can easily tell if the can bus is awake by looking to see if the lights around the gear shift are lit up at night when the car has been locked for more than 10 mins
Hi Delboy,

I can confirm that gearshift lights do not remain on.

After a few days though, the suspension does sit lower and it always needs to raise itself first. I've always had this for as long as I can remember but never had any suspension lights on.

How could I check if I have a leak?

Cheers guys.

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group

Last edited by Oli18; 18th December 2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 18th December 2016, 11:50 AM

There's a couple of ways of approaching air leak diagnostics.

The quick check would be jack up the corner that sags the most and let the strut drop down and lift back up the strut again to see if you can hear air leak out. You can try spraying the strut and pipe work with soapy water but results vary.

The passenger side has the valve block tucked up in the arch and it has been seen a few times to have leaking connections so worth spraying it too.

If nothing jumps out at you you could use a valve to isolate the strut to see if it drops over time.

See the reply from Jef in the link to see components and process.

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...eding-Charging

Old 18th December 2016, 05:00 PM

Thanks Del!..I don't believe that i have any one corner that drops vs another but will do some more checking over the coming week.

That said, i got in the car this morning and did a quick test on the battery again with VCDS before turning the ignition on...12.1V and when i started her, it was so much better than with the old battery.

I am hoping that i may be lucky and it was the battery that was due to be replaced. That said, i'm going to keep an eye out on any further drains, particularly after a few more days of sitting idle.

Thanks,

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Old 18th December 2016, 07:03 PM

The system by design trys to keep the car level. You will notice this when exiting the car and locking it. Once locked it will quite likely vent air to level the car.

So it maybe worth your time to select jacking mode in the air suspension menu prior to exiting and locking the car. That should prevent it from self leveling and thus make it more obvious if you do indeed have a leaking strut.

Last edited by Delboy; 18th December 2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 21st December 2016, 09:04 PM

Hi,

Just a quick update but 3 days on and the battery is working a treat ...no starting issues which i would have had previously.

Del, i'll do a proper test of the suspension over the coming days and see if there is anything there i should keep an eye on.

I'm off to holland tomorrow with the 8 and can't wait to drive her...

Thanks all for the help and advice...always great to get everyone's experience here.

Oli

Old 1st January 2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
The system by design trys to keep the car level. You will notice this when exiting the car and locking it. Once locked it will quite likely vent air to level the car.

So it maybe worth your time to select jacking mode in the air suspension menu prior to exiting and locking the car. That should prevent it from self leveling and thus make it more obvious if you do indeed have a leaking strut.
A quick update but having tested this i'm pleased to say none of the 4 sides dropped over the course of 3 days.

Thanks for the advice - always good to know how to test for issues.

Oli