A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 10th October 2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Lol Ray

I'm much the same when someone new sees the S8 - first the compliment, then 'how big is the engine' then always 'I bet that doesn't do much to the gallon?'

Really? Just look at it! I literally don't care how much fuel it uses

I get that sort of response too MJ, always makes me laugh, conversation usually along the lines of:

"What's that then, a 3 litre?"

"No, it's a 5.2 litre V10"

"Oh, I bet that's thirsty??"

"How very insightful of you, can't say I've noticed"

Sounds like an amazing trip Ray, I always enjoy your ventures, I hope I'm half as active if I ever get near your age. Gillsland Hall Hotel is about an hour from me, that's a lovely area of the North East. I look forward to updates on that trip too, wasn't this the one where you were smothered in young ladies last year?

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 10th October 2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
I get that sort of response too MJ, always makes me laugh, conversation usually along the lines of:

"What's that then, a 3 litre?"

"No, it's a 5.2 litre V10"

"Oh, I bet that's thirsty??"

"How very insightful of you, can't say I've noticed"

Sounds like an amazing trip Ray, I always enjoy your ventures, I hope I'm half as active if I ever get near your age. Gillsland Hall Hotel is about an hour from me, that's a lovely area of the North East. I look forward to updates on that trip too, wasn't this the one where you were smothered in young ladies last year?
"what's it like on petrol?"

It loves it!

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 10th October 2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
"what's it like on petrol?"

It loves it!
Pretty much sums it up mate

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 10th October 2019, 02:12 PM

They are just jealous and try to find a negative and and excuse why they have not got one.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 11th October 2019, 05:26 PM

I arrived home in Wigan at 20:00 last night, Thursday 10/10/2019. Needless to say, I was knacked. Had to unpack and repack for today's trip.

I was held up on the M25 and M42 but considering the time of day, nothing unusual. All in all a very good trip. Managed three full days with my "Nephew" and his group. I knew that they all knew me and who Gwen and I were, but have only realised during this trip how much they like me. Not only the players but the rigging team, English truck driver and technical guys as well. Even the German Chef and coach driver were all over me. The agency rep produced an all areas special pass for me and they fed and watered me. Felt like a man of substance.
So you Queen fans; Google "onenightofqueen", and Gary Mullen and The Works will appear. Look up the gig dates and get your tickets. If anyone does attend a gig, let me know before hand so that I can try and organise to see you there. If I'm there and you are lucky I might be able to organise a back stage meet, no promise but a possibility.

Back to today, 10 passengers only so left the large coaches at the garage and I'm using a 17 seater mini. Quite nice, certainly not what you would think. Problem was that I had to collect each of them and on Sunday's return I'll have take them home. Warrington, St Helens, Billinge, Wigan and Darwen. Think I know my way around Lancashire now!!!!!!
Nice area here and the staff know me now and have given me a better than average room, in fact a double with a view.

Petrol costs in Europe. I'll dig up some of the receipts and post them later next week. I'll also post a few photos taken in Germany. I'm a bit busy the rest of this month with various commitments. I do not recommend retirement.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 9th November 2019, 09:29 AM

Here we go again.
No peace for the wicked.
You all know about the North West Mini Meet that turned out to be a surprise early Birthday Party for me. I thank you all for that and the lovely good wishes.
It has been a week and a half since then, I've lost track of a lot of it.
What day is it now?
Day after the mini meet I received a message out of the blue from a German Police Lady with information about a German lady I went out with back in the 60's. The Police Lady is in Portishead on a course with Avon & Somerset Police so Thursday I'm driving there to have a day with her. I'll let you all know more details when everything is finalised. We are planning, already booked and paid for, another trip into Germany. 18th December 06:20 Chunnel and drive to Luneburg. 21st Drive to Maastricht in Holland for a candle light vigil. 22nd 18:20 chunnel home.
Today we are driving to London, overnight in the Premier Hangar Lane, tomorrow Marlborough House and the Cenotaph, driving home in the evening.
19th November I'm driving to Blyth for a funeral.
This means that if anyone sees a gold flash it will have been me.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 14th November 2019, 11:16 PM

Portishead today went fine. In fact bloodie wonderful.
I took said German Police Lady for a drive. As we set off the first comment was "Wow!! this is quiet, is it electric?"
I'll tell you the story after the Luneburg trip next month.

Old 15th November 2019, 01:24 PM

Nice "Challenger" model there Ray

Got a mate with some lovely model of a Big Boy, and he's been keeping me up to date on the Big Boy they've just finished restoring in the US.
I found it amusing that after the restored Challenger was withdrawn from the tracks for overhaul and before the Big Boy was finished, the mantel for the largest steam locomotive in the world in use in preservation was the Australian Standard Garratt in New South Wales!
So I suppose it's now the 2nd largest until the Challenger is back!

Anyway, enough gunzelling...

Happy birthday Ray! And keep up the busy lifestyle, it does wonders for your health!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 15th November 2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
Nice "Challenger" model there Ray

GAustralian Standard Garratt in New South Wales!

Would that be one of the Manchester built Beyer Garratts?
My paternal grandparents just down the road from the plant and I used to prowl round there on Saturday afternoons.

Old 15th November 2019, 10:58 PM

I suspect (without any research, but understanding how things are done down here) that Beyer Peacock did the design work (to specification) and built "some". Then the NSWGR workshops would have built the rest they required under licence.
Victoria did most of its loco building that way. The VR Narrow Gauge lines (ie Puffing Billy, Walhalla and three others that no longer exist) originally received two built locos and two disassembled pattern locos from Baldwin. Then built a total of 17 of the NA type under license.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)