A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > VCDS (aka Vagcom)

VCDS (aka Vagcom) For all your electronic debug / diag advice queries and mods.

Old 15th April 2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverS8 View Post
Not sure what its called at you end.. Its a regulat soray can bought in any Automotive store that is used to spray into carborators or injection system. Car will run on this stuff for. a short while.

When used to check for leaks you will have an increase in rpm when sprayed on the leak.

Starter fluid might the english description

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starting_fluid
Equivalent over here would be something like 'Easy Start'. Luckily, I have some outside.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 27th April 2014, 02:14 PM

So, after running the MAF tests that Goran posted last week, I ordered up another new MAF sensor (since the one I bought was DOA). I fitted the new one the other day, cleared all the codes and reran the MAF test. This one is showing values that are within spec. Was out for a 90 mile run yesterday, and for the first 30, neither ABS or traction control lights were on. Had a couple of stops along the way, and each time the lights were out initially and would then come on. The car felt more responsive than it has been recently, and was even nice to drive, compared to driving it on other days - no stalls and no thumps going into Drive.

Ran a scan today and the MAF error has disappeared. So too has the Brake switch one, despite me not touching it. I'm still getting the following though:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: None
Part No: 4D0 907 558 AB
Component: 3.7L V8/5V G 0002
Coding: 11753
Shop #: WSC 23143
VCID: 6DDBD76D278ADF1
WAUZZZ4D92N002072 AUZ7Z0A1855153

7 Faults Found:
17530 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B2 S2
P1122 - 35-00 - Open Circuit
17548 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor; B2 S2
P1140 - 35-00 - Internal Resistance too High
17831 - Secondary Air Injection System; Bank 1
P1423 - 35-00 - Insufficient Flow
17819 - Secondary Air Injection System; Bank 2
P1411 - 35-00 - Insufficient Flow
17521 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor; B1 S1
P1113 - 35-10 - Internal Resistance too High - Intermittent
17537 - Fuel Trim; Bank 2 (Mult)
P1129 - 35-10 - System too Rich - Intermittent
17535 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult)
P1127 - 35-10 - System too Rich - Intermittent
Readiness: 0010 1101

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01V-927-156.lbl
Part No: 4D0 927 156 DT
Component: AG5 01V 3.7l5V RdW 1920
Coding: 00001
Shop #: WSC 00000
VCID: 7EF9E0217AEC549

1 Fault Found:
18265 - Load Signal
P1857 - 35-10 - Error Message from ECU - Intermittent

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 8D0-907-389.lbl
Part No: 4D0 907 389 E
Component: ABS/ESP allrad D56
Coding: 08397
Shop #: WSC 02313
VCID: 31630B1DFB327B1

2 Faults Found:
01464 - Brake Pressure/lateral Acceleration Sensor
48-10 - Supply Voltage - Intermittent
18265 - Load Signal
P1857 - 35-10 - Error Message from ECU - Intermittent

I'm seriously considering taking the car to my local Audi dealership (64 miles away, local) to see if they can figure out why there are so many Intermittent errors. I also get them in 17: Instruments, 37:Navigation and 56:Radio, but they are intermittent as well, and don't annoy me as they don't appear to have any side effects. Since I'm coming over to the annual meet, I would like the car to be running properly.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 4th May 2014, 04:20 PM

Managed to clean all four ABS sensors at last (front O/S bolt seized). Cleared all error codes, and driven 350 miles. ABS and traction control lights only came on at around 320 miles. Car has been running fine. Did a scan and only major ones are as follows:

Address 01: Engine Labels: None
Part No: 4D0 907 558 AB
Component: 3.7L V8/5V G 0002
Coding: 11753
Shop #: WSC 23143
VCID: 6DDBD76D278ADF1
WAUZZZ4D92N002072 AUZ7Z0A1855153

7 Faults Found:
17530 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B2 S2
P1122 - 35-00 - Open Circuit
17548 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor; B2 S2
P1140 - 35-00 - Internal Resistance too High
17831 - Secondary Air Injection System; Bank 1
P1423 - 35-00 - Insufficient Flow
17819 - Secondary Air Injection System; Bank 2
P1411 - 35-00 - Insufficient Flow
17521 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor; B1 S1
P1113 - 35-10 - Internal Resistance too High - Intermittent
17535 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult)
P1127 - 35-10 - System too Rich - Intermittent
17537 - Fuel Trim; Bank 2 (Mult)
P1129 - 35-10 - System too Rich - Intermittent
Readiness: 0010 0001

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 8D0-907-389.lbl
Part No: 4D0 907 389 E
Component: ABS/ESP allrad D56
Coding: 08397
Shop #: WSC 02313
VCID: 31630B1DFB327B1

2 Faults Found:
01464 - Brake Pressure/lateral Acceleration Sensor
48-10 - Supply Voltage - Intermittent
01423 - Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200)
35-10 - - - Intermittent

Have posted new thread about G200 sensor. I know I have issues with one of the lambda sensors, which leaves the Secondary Air Injection System. I've replaced as many of the vacuum hoses that I considered dodgy (and which I could manage). The Ross-Tech site gives these possible solutions:

Check Fuse for Secondary Air Injection Pump - will do today, once I find it
Check Vacuum Hose(s) - weather permitting, I'll check the ones at the back of the engine
Check Piping between Secondary Air Injection Pump and Combi (Secondary Air Injection) Valve
Check Secondary Air Injection Solenoid(s) - where is it and how can I check these?
Check Combi Valve(s) - how can I check these?

I've checked through my other logs and the SAI errors aren't always there. I'm hoping that if I can sort this out, it might resolve the fuel trim issue, but then again, that might have something to do with it running on LPG.

Old 4th May 2014, 05:58 PM

Came across a test for the SAI pump using VCDS and the pump is working fine. That presumably should rule out the fuse and the relay. Will check out the pipework tomorrow.

Old 8th May 2014, 05:19 AM

I've been getting similar problems with my FL S8 since October. I've change many things including the MAF, throttle body, lambda probes but was still getting the same problems, i.e. ABS and traction control lights coming on. However, it would appear the problem causing my issues turns out to be air leaks. I thoroughly checked the entire induction system and found leaks in the rubber elbows connected to the MAF and the throttle body. These were changed. I also noticed one of the bolt holes for the throttle body in the inlet manifold had stripped so I had this hellicoiled. Well, I wanted it hellicoiled but instead the machine shop drilled out the hole, inserted a brass insert then drilled and tapped this. Unfortunately, the insert must have been slightly proud of the surface so they got a file and filed it flat - putting a groove in the surface where the throttle body fits. (I live in Dubai and the cowboys over here make the cowboys in the UK look like good, honest professionals). The throttle body is now no longer perfectly flush with the mating surface on the inlet manifold which means I will have to try and find a quality machine shop to skim that surface to get it perfectly flat(difficult in Dubai) or get a new inlet manifold. (Expensive).

Can I suggest you check, if you haven't already done so, your entire induction system from air box to inlet manifold Remove the throttle body and give it a thorough clean with carb cleaner. Refit using a new gasket. You will need to do a throttle body adaption after refitting but that is simple with VCDS.
2001 D2 S8. Volcano black. KW Variant 1 coilovers. EBC Turbo grooved discs with Yellow Stuff pads. 19 inch R8 replica wheels with 255/35/19 Michelin Super Sport. In the UK, 1990 Audi 90 2.3 20v Quattro with just 65,000 on the clock and in mint condition.
Old 15th May 2014, 05:23 PM

Haven't checked the throttle body (not sure I'm up to that sort of job), but spent my time today spraying Easy Start over all the vacuum pipes that I could access. Didn't notice and change in the engine idle whilst doing this, but did replace one short pipe near the back which was fraying. Will see how it runs over the next few days.

Old 15th May 2014, 07:16 PM

Thats a serious amount of faults, have you had a plug out to see how the fuel mixture is, would be very sad if you wrecked the engine as your doing quite a lot of miles with the faults remaining.

Old 15th May 2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Thats a serious amount of faults, have you had a plug out to see how the fuel mixture is, would be very sad if you wrecked the engine as your doing quite a lot of miles with the faults remaining.
Wouldn't know where to start, to be honest. Then again, there's also the fact that's it's LPG.

Old 16th May 2014, 06:40 PM

Here are some more ElsaWin pages.
I was hoping Ainarssems saw your post I bet he can solve whats causing it.

Fault table, and clues to what might be causing the fault.

Perform road test (fuel in oil)
Check fuel system pressure
=>Page 24-39
Check air mass meter
=>Page 24-65
Check lambda probe upstream of catalytic converter => Page 24-101
Check injectors
=>Page 24-48

Good Luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fault Table 15486 to 17607.pdf (125.6 KB, 480 views)
File Type: pdf Fuel Pressure regulator.pdf (151.5 KB, 483 views)
File Type: pdf Checking injectors.pdf (113.8 KB, 430 views)
File Type: pdf Checking lambda control.pdf (170.0 KB, 397 views)
Old 26th May 2014, 07:22 AM

I'm not sure it the throttle body is the same or similar to an S8 but removing it is quite simple. If it is similar to the S8 then first remove the inlet tubing and elbow from the throttle body to the airbox. Disconect any electrical conections. The throttle body itself is held on by four bolts, you will need a 5mm allen key or better a 5mm hex socket on a wrench. Once the throttle body is off get some carb cleaner, or throttle body cleaner if you can find some, and thoroughly clean the inside of the body. Manually open the butterfly and make sure you get all the muck and filth out. Refit with a new gasket. You will need to do a throttle body adaption afterwards but that is simple. The Ross Tech wiki will tell you how to do it.

If the ABS and traction control lights are still coming on whilst driving a little trick you can try is to firstly stop, turn the ignition off, turn the ignition on and leave it for at least thirty seconds then turn it off. Then ignition on and start the car. During this procedure DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE PEDAL. The lights should go out. I say should but this may not be the case. This will not cure the problem but it will help in the short term.
2001 D2 S8. Volcano black. KW Variant 1 coilovers. EBC Turbo grooved discs with Yellow Stuff pads. 19 inch R8 replica wheels with 255/35/19 Michelin Super Sport. In the UK, 1990 Audi 90 2.3 20v Quattro with just 65,000 on the clock and in mint condition.