A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 14th April 2014, 10:12 PM

Dry ball joint sounds good as the wife's X5 has started making a similar noise the last day or two! Hopefully a cheap fix.

I know.. I know..

Old 14th April 2014, 10:29 PM

Personally I would be replacing all arms and joints at the front.

Youre going to be taking them all apart to replace one or two. might as well take them all out and do them all now rather than staggering them all over the next several months.

I'd also recommend Meyle HD arms if you can get them. Cost slightly more but comes with 5 years guarantee and are amazing when fitted.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 14th April 2014, 11:36 PM

So....at this point I'm planning to replace all the necessary bits, upper arms, possibly track rods ends. For sure all the arms with shot bushes.

Which ones are the ball joint so I can see if it is a dry joint?? Is it characteristics for them to become noise only after they get hot??

Looked quickly at the Meyle parts and you can get them

I assume TRW offers just 1 year warranty.
4 year warranty for extra few quid sounds like a no brainer, or it's just a marketing trick?? Extra few quid for 4 times longer warranty, seems a bit to good to be true...

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 15th April 2014, 07:12 AM

I don't really know how good they are at honouring their warranty cause I've never known anyone need to claim on it.

I got a set fitted to my A4 that's 3 years old and 50k miles old and still going strong.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 7th May 2014, 08:37 PM

guys, im trying to price the parts and labour to have it done before the annual meet, last thing im missing, last puzzle, to actually attend this year, without that I may not be able at all.

whic ball joint you are talking about

is it a ball joint for the video provided??

what are the chance that lower arms are not in need of changing, they are massive and pricey but you cant see the rubber bits on the end by the engine because of the way they are mounted, so frustrating when you know nothing about mechanical side and garage is 36miles across london

im on mister auto as suggested looking at TRW parts only and there is so much i could change is shocking.

As mentioned earlier car will have re-spray done next week 90%, wheels refurb even this weekend, gearbox at mackies on friday morning, 6th of june, 1st day of meet, and that noise is the missing puzzle

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 7th May 2014, 09:06 PM

Sounds a bit out of the norm but if your looking to replace ball joints anyway, how about a syringe full of gear oil and inject it through the boot into ball joint to see if the squeaking goes away and if it does you know what needs changing.

Old 7th May 2014, 09:32 PM

An experienced mot tester should be able to tell you which joints have wear so if you know one locally try that as a first point of call Marcin, just ask their advice

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 8th May 2014, 02:41 PM

Cheers boys

Do you actually lift the protective rubber and just stick some gear oil in there, because it looks like it's fixed and don't want to tear it or whatever.
Told you I'm not mechanically minded, but I will eventually, its all about experience ...and knowledge as well and I'm missing both

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 8th May 2014, 03:19 PM

They normally have a wire clip around them at the top and while compressed i.e. fitted to the car you'll not have much room to move the rubber anywhere. MOT tester would put a bar (something like this)

between the arm and the part the arm locates into and will apply pressure so see how much it moves, it is then his discretion as to how much is excessive movement.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp bars.bmp (1.74 MB, 388 views)

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 8th May 2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
They normally have a wire clip around them at the top and while compressed i.e. fitted to the car you'll not have much room to move the rubber anywhere. MOT tester would put a bar (something like this)

between the arm and the part the arm locates into and will apply pressure so see how much it moves, it is then his discretion as to how much is excessive movement.
So how about that dry ball joint which you guys suspect, tools will determine any movement, but that weird noise isn't cause by worn out ball joint but dry ball joint or I'm just getting confused here??
Would excessive movement caused this sound but ONLY when warmed up, remember guys, it happens only after 40min of driving when everything is up to the temp, gets worst around city when most of driving is at low speeds or in standstill in traffic so all the heat from underneath the engine but no much cooling.

THANK YOU

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10