A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 6th March 2017, 01:32 PM

Glyn

As you know I've also been looking and still am.

Could you tell me what sort of fuel consumption you're seeing - I'll probably be doing my long weekly runs down to Exeter again for a few months soon, so have to have a wee think about costs
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 6th March 2017, 03:19 PM

Will do mate once i stop pratting about in it and get back to work
Cant resist messing about at the moment.
On the way back at motorway speeds and some A roads she was showing 32-33 average but i doubt that will be the norm. I am hoping my commuting will give me around 25 with near 30 on a run in fairness the 4.2d never gave me near the quoted figures in real world driving. My overall average for that was 32 mpg over 15k miles. I could see near 40 on a decent run but it soon dropped off when i was in town. Still for the performance that car gave over 30 is very acceptable.
The 3 litre d D4 gave me an overall average of 36.5 over 30k miles but again she could run high 40's sometimes, but as we all know its real world driving that counts and they dont give you that in the brochure

Managed to fit the dash cam but none of the fuses seems to power down and i left it running a test on them for 30 mins, so i used one the rear seat power sockets and ran the cable hidden under the centre section. I don't like to use the front one as it gets used for other things and stops you closing the lid. I know i could have probably found another point closer but i didnt fancy taking the trim apart knowing my luck something would snap. Managed to hide the canle round the screen but the trim seems to have much tighter gaps than the previous car could be the different alcantara trim etc.

Camera sits neatly attached to the screen behind the mirror so out of my sight line but a nice clear view of the front. Tempted to install a rear one too, my god i have filmed some poor driving recently there are some prize idiots out there
Cheers glyn
A8 3 litre sport till 2016
Short walk on the MB dark side
A8 3 litre sport from 2010 to 2012
Old 6th March 2017, 03:46 PM

I'd be happy with 25-28 mpg, mine are mostly long runs on the M5
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 6th March 2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glync View Post
Will do mate once i stop pratting about in it and get back to work
Cant resist messing about at the moment.
On the way back at motorway speeds and some A roads she was showing 32-33 average but i doubt that will be the norm. I am hoping my commuting will give me around 25 with near 30 on a run in fairness the 4.2d never gave me near the quoted figures in real world driving. My overall average for that was 32 mpg over 15k miles. I could see near 40 on a decent run but it soon dropped off when i was in town. Still for the performance that car gave over 30 is very acceptable.
The 3 litre d D4 gave me an overall average of 36.5 over 30k miles but again she could run high 40's sometimes, but as we all know its real world driving that counts and they dont give you that in the brochure

Managed to fit the dash cam but none of the fuses seems to power down and i left it running a test on them for 30 mins, so i used one the rear seat power sockets and ran the cable hidden under the centre section. I don't like to use the front one as it gets used for other things and stops you closing the lid. I know i could have probably found another point closer but i didnt fancy taking the trim apart knowing my luck something would snap. Managed to hide the canle round the screen but the trim seems to have much tighter gaps than the previous car could be the different alcantara trim etc.

Camera sits neatly attached to the screen behind the mirror so out of my sight line but a nice clear view of the front. Tempted to install a rear one too, my god i have filmed some poor driving recently there are some prize idiots out there
Cheers glyn
If my 4.2 TDI is only a few MPG off an S8 then I am off to the autotrader to wait for a full spec one! Cylinder on demand should help a lot, my right foot would not help at all

Do you have homelink, take a look at this link for a switched live in the overhead console

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s...2905635/page2/
Old 6th March 2017, 05:16 PM

Thanks mate I saw that in my trawl round the forums, but I can imagine the dealers approach to a warranty claim when they see that so I was looking for a fuse to piggy or where there wasn't a fuse due to an option not being fitted.
It's all done now and looks neat and tidy I just hate wires sticking out of things etc.

As for the fuel economy I kept fairly comprehensive data on both the previous D4's and consider my figures accurate so I know I got nowhere near the quoted stats. I know the S8 isn't going to be anywhere near those diesel stats but using the same reduction ratio from the quoted figures I should see mid to low 20's which is fine. Audi quote a combined of 30.1 for the S8 and 38.2 for the 4.2 D. They could also start levying the tax on diesel if this anti diesel thing takes off who knows!

I am no longer doing the high mileages I was previously, the most I will do now is 15K in a year. I ran an AMG for a while and stuck 45 K on that in a year and was filling it up every other day

If you run your own business you can get it some of it back better than paying it all to the revenue after all at the moment they don't tell you what car to buy and I managed to get in before Osbourne's final budget on road tax bites so saved a few hundred a year towards filling up

Now that is yet another wealth tax on how you decide to spend you money I object to ... but don't set me off
Cheers Glyn
A8 3 litre sport till 2016
Short walk on the MB dark side
A8 3 litre sport from 2010 to 2012