A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 14th May 2022, 08:51 PM

Default Jack stand location

Where is the best place to set the jack stands on these cars without doing damage? I want to lift up the front of the car and place jack stands underneath the car so I can remove both front wheels because this will help me remove the fasteners for the front bumper. I'm ready to do work on the engine and I need to put the front end in the service position so I have room to get my socket and wrench on the crank bolt so I can hand rotate the engine to do the valve spring replacement.

My mods: Oxblood red interior, LED interior lights, D3 ignition coils, new window tint, tip steering wheel with new S8 emblem, mk1 TT steering wheel air bag, mk1 TT 6 speed shift knob, new shift boot.
Old 14th May 2022, 09:14 PM
Banned

You can remove front bumper without doing that. Just remove the under tray if you have it, few clips holding the front wheel arch liners to the bumper and bumper itself is held with 2 Allen bolts located behind the grilles of the bumper
Old 14th May 2022, 09:29 PM

You can put them under the rear subframe mounting bolts. That's a good hard-point which will support the full weight. Don't use the subframe itself - that isn't strong enough.
Old 14th May 2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
You can remove front bumper without doing that. Just remove the under tray if you have it, few clips holding the front wheel arch liners to the bumper and bumper itself is held with 2 Allen bolts located behind the grilles of the bumper
My car doesn't have the under tray unfortunately. I only saw one plastic hold down (not sure what the correct name is) for the wheel arch liner. I'm sure there is more then one and I prefer to remove the wheels so I can see everything so I don't damage anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
You can put them under the rear subframe mounting bolts. That's a good hard-point which will support the full weight. Don't use the subframe itself - that isn't strong enough.
Ok but will it be safe to use since my jack stand has a u shape top? I found out the hard way to not support the subframe itself with the jack stand as it put a dent in it.

My mods: Oxblood red interior, LED interior lights, D3 ignition coils, new window tint, tip steering wheel with new S8 emblem, mk1 TT steering wheel air bag, mk1 TT 6 speed shift knob, new shift boot.
Old 15th May 2022, 08:24 AM

Stick a block of wood on it then. You don't really want the weight on the aluminium plate as thats not very strong, so the bolt head itself is best point.
Old 15th May 2022, 03:31 PM

I'll keep that in mind when I use the jack stands. I eventually want to buy these jack stands to replace the ones that I have.