A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Cars

For Sale and Wanted - Cars For the sale of whole cars, Audi or not, working or not. No cross links to other peoples cars please - Use Spotted online instead

Old 6th August 2021, 02:13 PM

You'll probably find more 4.2d with decent spec - more expensive as a base model, so people more inclined to throw some toys into the mix, whereas most 3.0d are likely to have racked up the miles on airport runs, prior to a pre-sale haircut on the mileage......toys not required for the job (I am, of course, massively generalising!!)

The standard 4.2d is supposed to be a bit of a beast, assuming everything works and the exhaust aftertreatment is all present and correct. Assuming you don't need to access a current ULEZ or planned one, and you do enough miles to warrant it, then almost certainly the model to look for.

On the subject of used prices, the market generally is offering strong money for used cars due to lack of supply. I'd try sticking your old car's details into WBAC and add 10-20% as a reasonable private sale value, bit more at a dealer. You might find it was worth more than you thought!

If you need to get into ULEZs then think D4 at much greater cost is the only way to go (or petrol)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 6th August 2021, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
If you need to get into ULEZs then think D4 at much greater cost is the only way to go (or petrol)
only facelift D4s at that too, if diesel, pre-facelift are Euro V
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 7th August 2021, 08:53 AM

Default standard tune is good

but a 4.2tdi with a map is great
potential for a very rapid car with stg2 tune and exhaust + filters changed etc

i like the 3.0tdi stg1 map cat back straight through exhaust and better air filter

quite a few to choose from tbh on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184942283004

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284197620725

Last edited by roberto; 7th August 2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 13th August 2021, 07:06 PM

Question

How good will a b&0 system from a 2006 car be by modern standards? And what premium price can they hold of a like for like model without it? I appreciate it was a £4K option in the day , but realistically now?

Are there options / upgrades available for the stock Bose systems or are they all so built in to the car and it’s electronics that it’s just a non starter? I’m a Saab man used to just pulling head units in and out at will. I never went as far as the fibre optic complicated models before I moved to Audi…
Old 13th August 2021, 10:37 PM

I never had b&o before I bought the s8 and wasn't really worried if car had it or not ,but after having it I would definitely miss it
With Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System, Advanced Parking System, TV Analog/ Digital, Rear/Back Window blinds, Front and rear heated seats, Alcantara Roof, Extended leather Pack 2, Extended Aluminium pack, Carbon and Aluminium trim packs, RSE, PS2.
Daily driver
Audi A8 d4 2014 phantom black 3.0 tdi

Previously owned
Audi 80 1986 1.8 white
Audi 80 1990 2.0 red
Audi A4 1996 1.9 tdi green
Audi A6 1.9 tdi 2000 blue
Audi tt 225 2000 silver
Audi s8 d2 2002 fe grey
Audi a8 4.0 tdi d3 2006 black
Audi a8 3.0 tdi d3 2010 black
Old 14th August 2021, 09:42 AM

Do the a8 and s8 have the systems / head units do we know?
Old 14th August 2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
Do the a8 and s8 have the systems / head units do we know?
do you mean does the A8 and S8 share the same B&O ?

the answer is Yes its identical in any D3
Old 14th August 2021, 09:00 PM

This is all really helpful++3”+
What would my 2009 have had done to it to have had what was described as an mmi update / upgrade to mmi3 with the jukebox etc?? When I bought it the seller told me his dad had had it done.
Old 15th August 2021, 04:54 AM

Quote:
This is all really helpful++3”+
What would my 2009 have had done to it to have had what was described as an mmi update / upgrade to mmi3 with the jukebox etc?? When I bought it the seller told me his dad had had it done.
MMI update is just a software update £25 ish

MMI 3G jukebox etc would be standard on a 2009 car
Old 15th August 2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
How good will a b&0 system from a 2006 car be by modern standards? And what premium price can they hold of a like for like model without it? I appreciate it was a £4K option in the day , but realistically now?

Are there options / upgrades available for the stock Bose systems or are they all so built in to the car and it’s electronics that it’s just a non starter? I’m a Saab man used to just pulling head units in and out at will. I never went as far as the fibre optic complicated models before I moved to Audi…
I recall reading a post on fb from a chap who had the latest (2019 at the time) S8 with a B&O, and he said the new B&O wasn't anywhere as good as the D3 B&O. He said it was the best system he's ever heard in any car.

The D3 audio is difficult to upgrade from one system to another. If you are not fussed about music then it's not an issue. If, like me, you are and regularly do long trips then please, whatever you do, avoid the entry level system.

That was absolutely disgraceful in a car costing whatever mine cost in 2010. Once the reality of what it would cost me to replace the system to something I could accept had dawned on me, I just turned it off and vowed to sell on. I hated driving it after that.