A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Engine Bay

D4 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 2nd November 2022, 09:41 AM

Default A couple of Nube questions

Hi, I'm sure there will be plenty of questions coming your way in the future

4.2 TDI, I'm assuming its chain and not belt for the valve timing?

Also, I try to do my own basic servicing so: I understand that the oil filter is on top and changeable from under the bonnet, as I always used a Pela suction pump through the dipstic tube on my E-Class (remove plug as no dipstick fitted) is there a removable plug on the dipstick tube 'stump' on the V8 TDI to enable me to do this?

Thanks for your advice, Steve
Old 2nd November 2022, 10:02 AM

If you haven't already found it, check out the following thread in the D4 section. It's under 'A8 D4' > 'D4 - Common Faults':

D4 - Technical Info & Upgrades Sticky

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:58 AM

Hi Steamship and thanks. I've had a look at this and its very technical. I'm struggling to find reference to the dipstick tube/plug on here.
Old 2nd November 2022, 02:59 PM

In regards to the 4.2tdi engine, I can only find one reference to the dipstick in the following PDF:

10-Service Manual 8-cylinder TDI engine (4 2 ltr 4-valve common rail).pdf

You'll find it in section '19 - Cooling' in sub-section 3 (p.249). The PDF shows it with an actual dipstick, but the official parts catalogue shows it as only having a plug (part #26 comes up as 'not for this model'). The fact that it has an o-ring would imply that you can remove the plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Audi A8 D4 4.2tdi dipstick stud.png
Views:	161
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	28910  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 2nd November 2022, 03:35 PM

Thanks Steamship. As long as I can get the oil extractor tube in there. I always do a 'top' service where possible, getting a bit creaky to maul about underneath.
Old 2nd November 2022, 04:47 PM

You can, I also adapted a dipstick to work with my D4 4.2tdi as easier than the computer in my mind - from memory, I used an old one from a b6 S4 that I had lying around and added a twist in my vice for the upper and lower levels based on the MMI read out
Old 2nd November 2022, 06:12 PM

Thanks Paul that's great. I assume its fine to leave it in the tube all the time?
Old 3rd November 2022, 07:15 AM

I didn't, as the reason I had an old dipstick was the plastic handle was well past its best, and so I bought a new one for the S4. I just used it to dip on oil changes and kept it in the garage in between
Old 3rd November 2022, 06:38 PM

Cheers Paul