A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 12th May 2022, 07:43 PM

Default Odd pump/grumbling noise from engine bay when coming to a stop

Hi,

Have had this symptom for a while, no real issues with the car other than this but im curious what may be causing it.

When coming to a stop, can be a gentle or harsh stop, doesnt really matter, i can hear something that sounds a bit like a pump, splutter and then stop. A bit like an engine stalling if it were manual and you stamped on the brakes, except its not the engine obviously. Quite difficult to describe, its not particuarlly loud, coming from front/possibly left hand side of the engine bay. It definately sounds like something that is struggling to keep running as car slows to a stop and the minute the wheels stop this thing chugs and dies.

Things I have checked/changed...

Air con, had this regassed the other day, no issues reported. Old gas was still fine and pump seems fine.
Car serviced recently, oil/filters changed etc, didnt fix the problem.
Tryed running aircon in econ mode for a while, this possibly reduced it a little but i might just have been imagining it.
Very slight leak on radiator, top it up every month or so.

Could it be the secondary air injection pump?

Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 11:43 AM

Not sure if this applies to your car, but some D3s had an electric vacuum pump in the braking system. If yours has it, it might be a vacuum leak from that causing the issue, especially if you notice it when braking to a standstill.

Might be worthwhile updating your signature line to include the specifics of the car, for future reference.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 19th May 2022, 06:34 PM

Hi,

Sorry not sure whats up with my signature, i thought i had one. will update asap.

My A8 is a 3.0Tdi QS 2007.

How can i tell if it has the extra vacum pump that you mention? Is it something you can see if you lift the bonnet?

Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_pamphilon View Post
My A8 is a 3.0Tdi QS 2007.
Just checked and the electric vacuum pump in the braking system only applies to the petrol engines (BBJ, ASN, BVJ and BSM).

Now this or may not be relevant, but might be worth checking for a perished pipe. The 3.0tdi also has a vacuum system on the EGR, but no idea how it operates. The attached image might help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8 D3 tdi Vacuum System EGR.png
Views:	153
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	28492  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 30th May 2022, 10:08 AM

Thanks,

I will have a look into this. Ive noticed zero issues really apart from the odd noise so not in a major hurry, its curiosity more than anything.

Will feedback if/when i know more.

Cheers
Old 31st May 2022, 02:05 PM

This will likely be your air suspension compressor. It turns off when the car comes to a stop. It also pumps out a jet of air through the outlet to purge the air dryer.

As the compressor ages and it’s piston ring gets worn, it will become noisier.

Mike

04 A8 - 4.2 Sport

Indigo Leather Sports Seats - Sports wheel - Sports Air Suspension
Auto Boot - Double Glazing - AMI - Solar roof
TV - Bose - Voice Control - TPMS - AFS- TINT
Power Blind, Fingerprint - Light package (in and out)

Retrofits:
OEM Auto headlights & rain sensing wipers
OEM Bluetooth phone
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
Reverse Camera
OEM Aluminium Package
Auto boot close using remote/door button
Old 4th August 2022, 03:39 PM

Turns out after all it was my Crank Shaft Pulley. Apparently there is a rubber seal or vibration dampener in there somewhere? It had worn down and the pulley had slid out a bit.

It all came to a head when the power steering suddely stopped working and battery not charging indicator came on. Another 100m and the car started overheating so i stopped right away and got it towed to a garage.

Got the belt and pulley changed however the garage said the tensioner bolts looked like they might strip the thread if they tried to change and was warned it may be a big job to get them out if the thread does strip. They phoned me and let me make the call so i relectently decided to leave the tensioner as is as i didnt want to add any more onto the repair bill.

I hope i havent made a bad call, repair bill was already £1400 for pulley and belt plus rear discs & pads and one rear caliper.

2007 A8 3.0Tdi Quattro Sport
Quartz Grey Metallic LY7G
20" Alloys
Black leather sport interior
Latest 5570 2g high MMI
Front rear park sensors
Reversing camera
HID Bi Xenon with AFSII
Exterior light package
Bluetooth
Bose
DAB

Last edited by rory_pamphilon; 4th August 2022 at 03:46 PM.
Old 21st September 2022, 11:18 AM

Hmmm so this noise has now returned despite all the work above.

Its coming from the left hand side of the engine bay, sounds like its just behind the glove box but could be further forward, difficult to tell as only occurs when in motion.

What is on the left hand side of the engine bay? Where is the AC compressor located?

Thanks

20" Alloys
Latest 5570 2g high MMI
Front rear park sensors
Reversing camera
HID Bi Xenon with AFSII
Exterior light package
Bluetooth
Bose
DAB
Old 22nd September 2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_pamphilon View Post
Where is the AC compressor located?
The attached image should help. The AC compressor is at the bottom right of the serpentine belt route.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Audi-A8_3.0_TDI_quattro-2004-1280-07.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	28861  

Old 22nd September 2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
The attached image should help. The AC compressor is at the bottom right of the serpentine belt route.
Thanks for this, does that make it a possible candidate then for odd noise coming from front left engine bay area?

I have tried driving around with AC on econ mode at times and its a little difficult to tell due to the noise not being too frequent but it does seem to abate when set like this however its not cut and dried, i.e. if i switch econ on when this noise is occuring it doesnt seem to kill it instantly. does the AC continue to run on perhaps for a little while when turning econ on?

20" Alloys
Latest 5570 2g high MMI
Front rear park sensors
Reversing camera
HID Bi Xenon with AFSII
Exterior light package
Bluetooth
Bose
DAB