Old 2nd August 2015, 05:27 PM

Nice clean engine Marcin, looks like new
maybe the 3.7 doesn't suffer from FSI issues like RS4, etc
Old 2nd August 2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Decarbonise your engine????

Do tell more Tony....
Well, as I said before, I was more than impressed with the Terraclean system, it worked really well on my car. I found my thread on Detailing World about it... anyone who would like to view it can see it here.

When I started researching my forthcoming Audi purchase, the topic of carbon deposits came about regularly and I started looking for ways to repair this if I bought a gunked-up one.

Just to be clear, I understand the reason Terraclean may not be as effective on FSi Audis is that it enters the engine through the fuel injectors, so cleans the injectors, combustion chamber and everything after it. The FSi engines (again, as I understand it and I'm still learning) have their injectors mounted directly into the inlet manifold, rather than on a conventional injector rail. That means the back of the valves that are normally cleaned by the spray of fuel are now left store carbon deposits. To de-carbonise an FSi engine, we therefore need something that enters the engine before the fuel.

Googling 'decarbonise your engine' and similar lead to a number of home-made recipies involving basically pouring water into your inlet manifold and letting the steam dislodge the carbon buildup. They seemed to have some success too.

One YouTube video talked about a company who has basically made this home-made method into a process and demonstrated it on an Audi R8. The video can be seen here (don't blame me for the presenter! I was only interested in the process).

I noticed a couple of the stand-up boards in the background had the website of the company doing the process, which is:

http://www.enginecarbonclean.com

And that, is pretty much all I know on the topic.

2008 Audi S8
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:25 PM

Cheers Tony

Old 3rd August 2015, 12:20 PM

Im seriousely debating this on my D2 S8. Its done 147k and 143.5k was on petrol lol.

Any experience of a non FSI 4.2 on terra?
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:35 PM

Well I have had mine done today. Took about 45 minutes and was very painless. Results were noticeable but not massive. Main difference seemed to be the smoothness. The engine seems a lot smoother and cleaner on pickup all the way out to the red line. I'm not sure my engine was that gunked up anyway as I only ver use premium fuel, it is serviced regularly and it's only done 46k miles. I will get it done every year now though as a good part of the annual preventative maintenance.
Old 4th August 2015, 08:04 AM

Im defo interested in getting this done on the ****box - I plan on having before and after dyno runs done
Old 6th August 2015, 08:55 AM

Doing alot of googling, there is one guy who had an S4 done. Gave improved mpg and smoothness. Mpg dropped back to normal within 1k miles. But it did help with cold starts, and smoothness through the rev range.

Whilst googling, i also found that MRC do a decoke, with before and after dyno runs. Some cars making an extra 50bhp...
Old 6th August 2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Doing alot of googling, there is one guy who had an S4 done. Gave improved mpg and smoothness. Mpg dropped back to normal within 1k miles. But it did help with cold starts, and smoothness through the rev range.

Whilst googling, i also found that MRC do a decoke, with before and after dyno runs. Some cars making an extra 50bhp...
I think the MRC decoke is much more involved than a Terraclean and is particularly effective (ie needed) on FSI engines (RS4 etc)

Think i'll get a TC done at some point, rude not to at £100 or so
Old 6th August 2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornershop View Post
I think the MRC decoke is much more involved than a Terraclean and is particularly effective (ie needed) on FSI engines (RS4 etc)

Think i'll get a TC done at some point, rude not to at £100 or so
I got a quote of 150 and an additional 60 for an intake clean as well. Not exactly pocket change?!

Mine isnt an FSI but it has done ~143k on petrol....
Old 6th August 2015, 08:36 PM

Yeah. Mine was £102 all in. Cheap as chips IMHO if it keeps the grime and gunge at bay inside the motor.