A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 2nd April 2010, 07:55 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

I seem to remember Oli did a post on lubricants as he worked for ESSO or Shell. It listed what the Audi fluids actually were and what you could use instead. I'll look for it.

Edit:

Found it.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.

Last edited by Conan_the_Librarian; 2nd April 2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Found it!
Old 3rd April 2010, 05:51 PM

I'm really interested in the results of this. A full rebuild for £1000, plus obviously removal/refit at mate's rates does somewhat alleviate the Gearbox Fear that is a common feature of 8 ownership!

Please don't tell me about alternative cheaper gearbox fluids though, recently had mine changed and the fluid cost me about £100!!
Old 3rd April 2010, 06:28 PM

Due to time and other work comitments it's not finished but the 'box is back and in the car!

I will be interested when I come to test it - they got the box back to me after only 1 full day!!!!!!! Only unfortunate thing in my opinion is the crappy silver spray paint all overhaul companies insist on using. Looks tacky!!
They have definately had the whole thing in bits though as the sealant on main drive section, torsen diff and front final drive was still wet when I got the box back!!

Will probably end up working Monday aswell and finishing this so will update when complete
Old 4th April 2010, 11:44 AM

Ben, can't wait to see pictures of the box. Don't be afraid to give it some welly when testing it If you can/need to tank it up with some of Shell's finest feel free and I will sort the money out.

Will I be collecting on Tuesday then? Its just that I need the tracking and wheel balancing done and I'm guessing that place wouldn't be open on Monday?
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 5th April 2010, 10:46 AM

Hi there,

I really hope this rebuild is as good as we all hope it is. I say this from a selfish perspective ‘cos if it works out this may well still be the most cost effective solution for my gearbox too so I’m very interested in the outcome.

Question about the rebuild - do you know if they also replace/ recondition the solenoids/ pressure valves in the valve chest (i think that is the name of it anyway) i.e. the brain of the gearbox? or is the rebuild limited to the mechanical parts within the gearbox itself?

Thanks

Niall

2000 A8 4.2 Quattro – Green, S8 18’s, Xenons, PhatBox, and loads of other toys.
Old 5th April 2010, 12:10 PM

Hi Niall, all I know for sure is they replaced the clutch with a better heavy duty Kevlar one and rebuilt the torque converter. They did a full strip down of the box and inspected all the components. Nigel knowing I was willing to splash out extra money told me that it didn't need anything else, which I applaud him for. The service from him has been very good, answering all my questions, returns calls straight away and constantly keeps you updated of progress. Free collection of the gearbox/car and a free service and check over after 1k miles. I'm going to have my gearbox serviced every 10k miles now/every year.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
Old 5th April 2010, 12:29 PM

Thanks Amar for the quick response.

So it is probable that your valves were in good order and did not need to be replaced.

I just don't know about my gearbox so. I don't have any obvious mechanical crashing etc, well apart from the severe thumping and hopping from gear to gear lower down the range. i've had all the electrical connections etc checked and they are all good. So i'm wondering if what Amar has had done would be sufficient for my situation at all as i "think" it is to do with wear off the valves or damaged valves.

Ben, you're prob most familiar with my situation - what do you think? Or if anyone else has thoughts on this i'd welcome the input.

Niall

2000 A8 4.2 Quattro – Green, S8 18’s, Xenons, PhatBox, and loads of other toys.
Old 5th April 2010, 12:53 PM

Niall, get that AA breakdown repair cover warranty now, that £475 may come in handy
VMT will give your car a free check over and can probably diagnose it there. If you speak to a guy called Tozo on quattroworld forums he can defiantly advise you on what your problem is.
Old 5th April 2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Hi Oli, I got the car around this time last year with 123k and it just turned 138k IIRC as the box went on it. The bloke I brought it off did say the guy who had it before him had the gearbox oil changed, but I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling and decided not to do it myself after JMWs packed up soon after getting his fluid done, then again, I don't think he used Audi fluid and PaulW from Audipages stresses the importance of this.
The money is mailnly in the labour and not the parts so if the box comes out I will most probably have a full rebuild. Audi don't supply brand new gearboxes either, they are reconditioned too.
Amar,

I made sure Chester Autos used the correct Audi oil (gave them the part number). They mentioned that Dextron 6 had better performance characteristics, but I wanted to remove any risk: so they ordered the Audi oil (it was the bulk of the service cost).

I am now a firm believer in leaving the 'box alone and acepting that they will fail after 100K at some point. Most places can't even service them properly (many Audi dealers have proved clueless about the 'box).
Mine was rebuilt and appears to be absolutely fine and much smoother than before the rebuild too).
Gutted to hear your news, but it seems that the 'box is the Achilles' heel of many Audis (heard horror stories of 24K mile failures of their CVT box in A4s).

When I was considering buying mine, I looked at the BMW 5 Series too - seemed they have similar issues with high mileage boxes and they're made by ZF too!

Best of luck with this mate: been there and now how much it hurts!
I agree with the new 'box theory too - spend a bit extra and get one.

Good luck

Jim
Old 5th April 2010, 09:10 PM

Hi JMW, thanks for your input. I can't say I agree with the new box theory although it was an avenue I did look down, a new box from Audi is over £4k that doesn't include fitting and when you give them your old box back they will return £300 or so. My rebuild is costing £1254.38 all in inculding removal and fitment. I suppose if the car was worth more or newer or I just had a silly amount of money in the bank I would opt for the Audi option but at over £4k, no chance.