A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 4th May 2010, 06:28 PM

Default Suspension STILL clonks after replacing EVERYTHING!

After replacing all the front suspension arms and links ( 2 top arms, 2 bottom arms, track rod end and the arb drop link I still have a clonk on the front right, what's left that could be clonking?!?

All I can think off is:
- inner track rod ends
- arb bushes where it is clamped to the chassis
- top mounts on the dampers

are any of theese likly candidates? It seems pretty random and happens on some bumps, but not all, and I guess when your turning right, but sometimes left (I did say random!).

HELP! I've just spent a small fortune on all replacing all the 'common suspension issues'!
'02 S8 - Ebony Black Pearl, 'Swing' Grey Leather/Alcantara, PDC, Xenon Plus, Bose, Phone Prep, Navigation Plus, TV, auto dipping interior and exterior mirrors, UV/Solar Tint Glass, Ski Hatch, Extended leather pack 1, Rear Sun Blinds, Memory Driver & Passenger Seat, Heated Front Screen, Heated Rear Seats.

Old 4th May 2010, 08:10 PM

Engine or gearbox mounts?

Maybe even a driveshaft.

I know.. I know..

Old 5th May 2010, 09:54 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

When does it happen. If you can make it happen by revving the engine then I would check the front engine mount.

If it happens under cornering then I would check the subframe engine and gearbox mounts.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 5th May 2010, 11:34 AM

Cheers for the advice guys, will have a damn good check tonight.

It is definitely on the drivers side, its a single clonk either when going over a bump or turning. (would this rule out drive shafts? as they would be a series of clonks?)

Speed doesnt seem to effect it greatly, nor does which way your turning.

one time it seems to do it quite badly going in and out of my girlfriends drive which is turning and slowly manouvering up a small curb (2" or so), so i will have a play with simulating this whilst i get a good listen for were its coming from.

Will report back later!
'02 S8 - Ebony Black Pearl, 'Swing' Grey Leather/Alcantara, PDC, Xenon Plus, Bose, Phone Prep, Navigation Plus, TV, auto dipping interior and exterior mirrors, UV/Solar Tint Glass, Ski Hatch, Extended leather pack 1, Rear Sun Blinds, Memory Driver & Passenger Seat, Heated Front Screen, Heated Rear Seats.

Old 5th May 2010, 08:19 PM

As Psyche says it could be Gearbox mounts

Have a look at this:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...=9052#poststop
Old 5th May 2010, 08:51 PM

Hmm, thanks for linking that. Mines almost definitely from the front right, and seems to only occur when turning having done more research. for now im gonna rule that out, but will bear it in mind.

Im at a bit of a loss, the current plan is ignore it until it gets bad enough that I can make it do it on demand and find the broken bit! I had a good look tonight but found nothing, so washed it in an attempt to make myself feel better about the damned thing! (so far were up to 2 new tyres, 4 wheel laser alignment, and a full set of front arms including the 3 days it took me to fit them! Im extremely frustrated to still have a remaining clonk and seemingly excessive road noise (un related).

Arb bushes look a little tired, so i do wonder if its them but i could only get a tiny amount of movement when trying to lever it up and down. It would make sense i guess having fitted fresh drop links. I think i will look into doing theese anyway, they dont look that hard compared to the rest, and if they dont stop the noise they might sharpen things up even more - lets see how expensive they are...

Old 5th May 2010, 09:09 PM

Im too lazy to get out there in the dark - what diameter ARB is on an S8? these guys do poly bushes for 25, 27 and 29mm bars. Anyone tried them?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-Front-Ant...item414ee1d510

Old 5th May 2010, 11:31 PM

my noise was best described as a twangy clunk, not 1 clunk a la suspension on way out but a slightly extended doiiiiiinnnngg (imagine the noise of an arrow hitting something and vibrating like in the movies) and sounded at times to come from either the front (where you'd expect anti roll bar bushes) but in retrospect mostly sounded to come from the middle of the car, it only happened at low speed going over rough road surface, usually when slowing down to turn at a junction but before the turn (i.e. wheels still straight and hitting a pothole or up a low curb at low speed). There was no feel of movement in the car when accelerating or braking hard, but grabbing the tail of the gearbox i could move it up and down a bit. I think it's a fairly rare thing hence the 10 day wait for parts, so don't just assume they have gone pop, they are ludicously expensive, and from checking the 2 i took off of mine only 1 was completely shot as it was "soft" compared to the other. Mine only had 90k on it so something may have got on the mounting and weakened it. Mine also is 2wd so the back of the box is kind of floating in midair and so more prone to movement i suspect and a v6 so the exhausts run near to them (i think the small movement in the bushes was allowing the bolts to meet the exhaust hence the noise as there is next to no space between them) I changed mine which got rid of that specific noise which i was very happy about, but it wasn't my reason for doing so, i was worried the movement would crack the exhaust (i had it happen once on a fiesta many moons ago) I suspect the S8 is a very different animal mounting wise to a baby a8, so i'd be very careful checking them, they are very expensive and if they are anything like a v6 to swap a real pain in the posterior and since no one else has ever reported on them unusual to need replacement. Since no one has suggested it have you checked all the exhaust in that general area? a crumbly cat or loose heat shield can make all kinds of wierd noises? Best of luck in your search!
Old 6th May 2010, 01:46 PM

My 02 S8 does exactly the same, it feels like the suspension spring moving on the mount more than anything else, I did go looking under the bonnet to see if I'd left a spanner rattling about at one point.
I notice it most coming down off of a raised section of tarmac or on cobbles.
I'm collecting bits for a full front end rebuild and I'll be doing the shocks and top mounts as a matter of course (I'm up to 135k on mine now).
Did you use genuine bits or OEM?
Old 8th May 2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
My 02 S8 does exactly the same, it feels like the suspension spring moving on the mount more than anything else, I did go looking under the bonnet to see if I'd left a spanner rattling about at one point.
I notice it most coming down off of a raised section of tarmac or on cobbles.
I'm collecting bits for a full front end rebuild and I'll be doing the shocks and top mounts as a matter of course (I'm up to 135k on mine now).
Did you use genuine bits or OEM?
Check your brake calipers they wear on the pins and rattle.

Grab hold of it with two hands and see if theres any movement. Mine were so bad i could replicate the knocking i was getting (after i had replaced all the suspension arms)