Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 8th November 2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey87 View Post
Power supply terminal 30 - P1602 - static
Bank 1 and 2 secondary air system - P1423/P1411 - intermittent
crank pos. sensor - P1347 - intermittent
Ideally get hold of VCDS, clear those codes, run the car (round the block if you can) and scan again, see what it finds. Some "might" be quite old.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 8th November 2022 at 09:41 AM.
Old 8th November 2022, 09:50 AM

Are you around tomorrow during the day, Andy?
Old 8th November 2022, 10:13 AM

I can be. Have to pick the kids up between 3-4pm but other than that I am about.
Old 8th November 2022, 01:16 PM

pm'd
Old 9th November 2022, 11:16 PM

So David very kindly came through to Edinburgh to have a look at the car today and plugged in his laptop to see what codes we where getting. So after clearing the faults and going for a quick run these are the codes that where returned -

16712 - Knock Sensor 1 (G61)
P0328 - 35-00 - Signal too High
16717 - Knock Sensor 2 (G66)
P0333 - 35-00 - Signal too High
00301 - ABS Return Flow Pump (V39)
27-00 - Implausible Signal
01300 - Control Module for Navigation with CD-Rom (J401)
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
01304 - Radio
01314 - Engine Control Module
01367 - Central Locking Pump Run Time Exceeded (Likely Leak)
35-00 - -
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)
76-00 - Terminal 30 missing
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)
77-00 - Internal Supply Voltage
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)
49-00 - No Communications
00862 - Antenna for GPS Navigation (R50/R52)
36-00 - Open Circuit
01462 - Anti-theft alarm ultra sonic Sensor (G209)
53-10 - Supply Voltage Too Low - Intermittent
00774 - Level Control System Sensor; Rear Left (G76)
28-00 - Short to Plus
00776 - Level Control System Sensor; Left Front (G78)
28-10 - Short to Plus - Intermittent
18258 - Powertrain Data Bus
P1850 - 35-10 - Missing Message from ECU - Intermittent

David also pointed out these good and Bad points -

Good
1. No cam chain rattle on start up.
2. Bodywork and trim in good condition (except for bumper scuffs which are easy to address – dented panels would be a problem)
3. Refurbed front brake calipers
4. Non standard exhaust
5. 20” wheels
6. No water lying in scuttle
7. Pax footwell relay box is dry as are the floors ( Points 5 and 6 show that the various drains are not blocked)
8. F125 switch not indicating issues!!
Not so Good
1. Issues on scan
2. No evidence of cam chain tensioners being inspected/replaced)
3. No evidence of gearbox service
4. No evidence of thermostat / water pump /timing belt replacement

As I've said before I don't really have the time or money to finish the car off but I feel it is to good to break for parts. Any suggestions on the best place to sell the car or price range would be appreciated. The car is due me £2500 with the purchase of the car and work that has been completed up to now. If I could get my money back out of the car I would be happy.

Thanks again for all the help. You have all been super helpful.
Old 10th November 2022, 08:12 AM

Default Too Good to break!

Just for clarification, in my comment about body work and dented panels I was just pointing out that IF panels were dented (which I couldnt see any evidence of) then that would be a more serious issue.
Old 10th November 2022, 09:49 AM

So, while there are a bunch of fairly benign codes in that list, there are a few which are rather more challenging.

The ABS light is because of the return pump, which lives underneath the actual pump. Thats not a fun job and can often require hardlines replacing as the unions seize in place. It also needs VCDS to prime it. The pump itself can be had pretty cheap but its a 3-4 hour job to change it.

The headlight level sensors both need replacing - not terrible, and not expensive. The Febi sensor (which is the OE unit) is about £50.

I've never seen the knock sensor codes before. They imply a problem with the actual sensors, or possibly an ignition issue which is throwing them off. I'd need to look in to that in more detail.

The most concerning is the 'missing message' errors in both the cluster and TCU. Those mean there is a problem on the canbus somewhere. Its interesting that the ECU and ABS are not reporting the same issues, but the cluster is reporting it on both drivetrain and entertainment buses. That one could cause the car to shut down while driving, which is unpleasant, and could be a real stinker to track down. I've had a couple of these and its a case of get out the parts cannon and see which module stops the errors. It is often because of moisture ingress, especially when they have sat around for a long time.

Notwithstanding any of the usual mechanical issues like control arms, subframes, and power steering hoses, I'd think its probably a few week's work at mine to recommission it and get an MoT. In the order of £4K.

Given the bodywork and wheels are in good order I'd certainly not consider it a breaker. Its not necessarily economically viable to pay someone to do it at £2500 but it would be a good diy project for someone so inclined.
Old 10th November 2022, 10:51 AM

Just my 2p about knock sensors.
1. Old or poor fuel.
2. Carbon build-up in in combustion chamber due to historic use of poor fuel, mostly being driven short distances not getting up to temp or high oil consumption.
3. Knock sensors bolted down with wrong torque values or loose. Or something else loose on the engine vibrating away giving false knock reading.

My friends 3.7 was like that, sometimes showing error codes and in measuring blocks always showing high knock values and ignition timing retarded due to knock values. Car did not seem like cared before and he was always driving on cheapest Morrissons petrol. Put in VPower just for trying and values went down quite a bit. He could not be bothered and just went back to Morrissons fuel. Probably cost him more in increased fuel consumption due to ignition timing retardation than he saved in cost per liter.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 10th November 2022, 11:06 AM

Checking Elsawin, that knock sensor code does simply mean too much signal from the sensors, so either an electrical issue or the engine is actually knocking outside the bounds of what the ECU can handle.

I'm inclined to agree its probably old fuel if the car isn't getting used much. The S8, oddly, is much more tolerant to low octane fuel than you would expect. There's no discernible difference in mine using Tesco standard or momentum, although that may be because the engine only has 30K on it. I know Mike does see a difference in consumption on the good stuff. I mostly run mine on Tesco standard day-to-day and it doesn't knock at all. It only gets momentum for longer journeys. The 3.7 however absolutely hates cheap / low octane fuel because its mapped to burn as lean as it can for better economy. My original 3.7 would knock terribly if it had anything other than Vpower.
Old 10th November 2022, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I guess next step is to list it in the for sale section and see if anyone is interested. Would love for it to go to someone who will get it back to tip top shape.