A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 29th April 2012, 09:06 AM
Banned

do you have any pictures of this ? Im very intrested and would like to see how you have come about doing this
Old 29th April 2012, 09:43 AM

its been ****ing down ever since i took the covers of to dye them, but i have managed to dye them now (though i ran out of dye for the second coat on one)
and have just put them back in.

still not finished but will post some before and after later today
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 29th April 2012, 10:09 AM
Banned

Cool Look forward to seeing them
Old 29th April 2012, 01:27 PM

This is the before, headrests in grey, my interior is platinum grey, as far as im concerned very noticable difference, the camera isnt showing the difference to well the first shot looks nearer than it is and the 2nd a bit too much the other way

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09099.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	3297

Name:	DSC09102.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	3298

After a bit of light grey dye, they look much better (they are within a centimetre of being the same width as the audi originals, but for some reason of camera angles look a bit over sized in these shots)

Name:	DSC09104.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	3299

im much happier with them now. they are not as elegant as the oem look headrests that i saw at the a8parts open day, but they are very functionable able to each take their own SD card, USB stick and DVD /VCD variations and on the plus side cost £149 instead of £1200, they also have a zip cover (not yet dyed) to hide them complely

if i didnt leave the car on the street each night i may have opted for the slightly different version for £250, bit more functionality , bigger screen.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 30th April 2012, 04:15 PM
Banned

Wow im so impressed with that ! i would be more than happy to pay you double that to do mine if you fancy it

So was there any cutting involved then or is that an illusion ? they look very close to oem
is it these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-7-LCD-C...#ht_6257wt_932
?

Last edited by daviesbike; 30th April 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 30th April 2012, 04:37 PM

no its not those its these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-7-Car-H...item2c6205b6ec

no cutting required, comes as shown in the pics. the "leather " surround comes off anyway, as does the screen at the front, if you have a black interior theres really nothing to do,

Old 1st May 2012, 08:35 AM
Banned

Oh i see now they are actually a pair of head rests, my mistake i thought they were just screens and that you had installed them onto you headrests,

so do they fit well ? and can you still adjust the electric head rest up and down ?
and with the FM transmitter i guess that the car radio picks up the signal and is able to play the sound through the bose, can you use the screens in tandum ?

i quite like the 9" ones too they look tidy http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-9-Car-...ht_9083wt_1084
did you run the power and video cables inside the seat itself ?
and did you run the wires under the carpet too the boot ?

Last edited by daviesbike; 1st May 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 1st May 2012, 05:05 PM

so do they fit well ? and can you still adjust the electric head rest up and down ?
they fit well, but i dont have elec headrest, i think that you will defo need some 18mm pole to extend the headrest poles down to the bar, im going to do it when i find some poles as well, but you will defo need them or the elec headrest wont work.

and with the FM transmitter i guess that the car radio picks up the signal and is able to play the sound through the bose,
yes it seemed to work ok, i havent used it and i guess when traveling you may need to change channels a few times.as below though if you connect to aux sockets you get better sound through the bose. also i got some IR headphones. or you can connect normal headphones to the headphone jack on the front of the unit

can you use the screens in tandum ?
you can , each headset has a video and audio in and out, so you could connect them together, I have opted to take the outs to the AUX1 and 2 of the tuner, and use the ins for connecting to the tuner out which will give me TV in the back
i quite like the 9" ones too they look tidy http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-9-Car-...ht_9083wt_1084

i had a look at the 9" ones, and they are quite a big bigger than the oem hrests, i thought too big, didnt look quite right, these are within a few millimetres of the oem

did you run the power and video cables inside the seat itself ?
yes the cables are already set in the poles so go easily through the chair.

and did you run the wires under the carpet too the boot ?

i havent yet thats the next thing on the list, i bought them over to the console and tucked them in , but they will go under the carpet under the back seat and in to the boot

Old 2nd May 2012, 07:01 AM
Banned

Ah i see, so they will work but i will have to make some minor alterations to get them to work,

i thought the electric up and down headrests are standard ?
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:37 AM

no they will work, its just a matter of where you plug them in, if you dont want tv in, then they work as soon as you power them up, no need for any connections other than power (which at the moment i have plumbed in to the rear cigar socket inside the console , but all the cables are there and fitted if you want to use them. if not just hide them inside the seat back.

i used some tie wraps in the seat (not tied to anything but it keeps the wires in place, you would need to leave some slack for the elec hreats to move

leccy h/rests are probably standard on a W12, but not on mine, shouldnt be a problem, you will see the bar that i presume is the elec up down bit, when you take the seat back off, as long as you fashion some 18mm loles to extend the 10mm ones it should clip in and work

will let you know when ive found some and the exact measurements , but the measurements should be about the same as the oem ones give or take a cm