A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 29th September 2013, 10:40 PM

Default OEM DVD Player And Digital TV.

Hi guys!

I'm looking to install a DVD player in my 2005 D3. Now my query is this - am I better off going for an OEM DVD player that fits in the glovebox beside the CD changer? (I presume that's where it fits). How involved is the installation? (the connectivity aspect).

And I'd like to get digital TV too. With my '01 S8, it was easy going aftermarket with a Kufatec adapter (which I still have). Is the OEM digi upgrade a straight forward installation?

Does any of the above require any special coding?

Thanks in advance for your valuable help.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 30th September 2013, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
Hi guys!

I'm looking to install a DVD player in my 2005 D3. Now my query is this - am I better off going for an OEM DVD player that fits in the glovebox beside the CD changer? (I presume that's where it fits). How involved is the installation? (the connectivity aspect).

And I'd like to get digital TV too. With my '01 S8, it was easy going aftermarket with a Kufatec adapter (which I still have). Is the OEM digi upgrade a straight forward installation?

Does any of the above require any special coding?

Thanks in advance for your valuable help.
the DVD Player fits in the left boot, for it to fit you also need to change the interior panel for one without a recess

The hybrid tv is easy(ish) if you already have the analogue version, its a straight swap. but removing the media rack and reinstaalling is a pain, if you dont there are some prereq modules required.

The DVD install shouldnt be to bad if your not intending to put rear screens in, but you can get an aftermarket dvd with much smaller footprint that also allows sdcard and usb card functionality. and also means you dont need a new interior panel.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 30th September 2013, 08:44 AM

Thanks, Limon!

I'm not too clear with this:

"removing the media rack and reinstaalling is a pain, if you dont there are some prereq modules required."

You lost me there!

I might as well go aftermarket on both digi TV and DVD. Naturally, the MMI won't control all these aftermarket add-ons, am I correct?

As I said, with the D2 I knew my way around, with the D3 I'm still getting used to her complex systems.

What sort of connectors did you run with your install? This is where I'm not too sure, the hardware mounting isn't an issue, connectivity is.

Again, many thanks for your valuable help.

2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 30th September 2013, 10:06 AM
Administrator

The fundamental question is whether or not you have any sort of factory TV already ?

If you do, life is so, very much easier, and I cant recommend enough fitting the pukka Audi DVB tuner as it is so tidy and professional compared to an aftermarket fitment with external controls. It is a straight swap. Yes, digging the unit out of the boot from the left hand side is a bit of a ballache, but very do-able.

If you dont, then you have a whole new problem of how to get the video signal onto the fiber optic MOST bus, and I think to be honest the easiest way to do that, is to fit the pukka Audi TV tuner unless someone like Kufatec do a kit, but again, interfacing to fiber optic aint going to be a cheap unit.

Once you have a pukka Audi TV tuner, then it works exactly the same as D2, by fishing out the mulitplug connector and adding the adapter that gives two aux inputs, you can then mount / connect your dvd player at will.

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Old 30th September 2013, 10:07 AM

in the boot on the left side when you remove the panel you will see the media rack, they are not all mounted the same but you would normally see the radio on the outside just below the nav dvd, the tv is mounted behind it, its also where you will see the dab unit etc.

you didnt say if you had the analogue tv already - if you have you can swap it for the hybrid unit, pricey but a straight swap, but you will need to unbolt the rack to get the old one out and new one in

if you go aftermarket digibox as i did before i put the oem hybrid in, it leaves you with a couple of issues, 1) you will need to add at least one if not 2 powered antennas to the back screen to get reception, (these can be on the inside) you cant use the original antennas inbuilt to the car. 2) you will also have to get one with a remote eye so that you can control it, 3) if you dont get a half decent one it wont track the signal which means you will be forever tuning it in.
connecting it is easy though, you have 2 inputs available on the tv AV1 and AV2, you may need to add these to the red connector block if you dont have them, they dont come as standard. so using these you can simply output the tv digibox to AV1 with standard connectors and you will have sound and audio.

there is not a great deal of room on the rack so also make sure you get one that fits. i put in this half DIN DVD SD/USB player and it just about fits

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D0009-Eono...item1c372341fe

also you will need power, which i got from the fuse board near the rack, to make sure the power can be switched of you will need to add a switch from there in to the cabin to make sure it doesnt run your battery down.

reception may also be a problem with an aftermarket, it did work but nothing like the oem kit.

if you dont have the tv, you would need to do something entirely different to get the video and sound to the car, there are a few aftermarket products that do this OR you may need to add a couple of modules you wont have if no tv is present
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 30th September 2013, 10:10 AM

there is another option , there is a hard to find oem digi box that connects to the analogue tv and gives you oem digital tv , they are rare units but they do come up on ebay.

Old 30th September 2013, 10:41 AM

Thanks Limo and IT!

I'm happy to say my car already has the factory analogue TV.

Is it possible to run the same AV inputs as I used in my D2? It's the Kufatec adapter.

Thank you guys!

Old 30th September 2013, 12:25 PM

theres lots on ebay also

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CT29AU02-A...item2569ea2fbe

best do both at the same time

Old 30th September 2013, 01:41 PM

So to understand this - if I opt for the OEM Audi DVB tuner, it replaces the analogue one completely - as in it doesn't have to go through the OEM analogue tuner's AV inputs?

Old 30th September 2013, 02:03 PM

yes its a replacement