A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 15th March 2019, 11:07 PM

I would recommend the Ender 3 Pro over the CR-10 tbh. The Ender 3 comes as a kit but its quite simple to assemble, whereas the CR-10 comes in two large pieces which need bolting together. It took less than an hour to put the Ender 3 together though.

The only disadvantage of the Ender 3 is that it doesn't have the automatic bed levelling routine in the software which the CR-10 has. The CR-10 will lift the print head and move to each corner in sequence so you can use the adjustment wheels to set a consistent level. The Ender 3 requires you to do this manually, but moving the carriage without lifting just drags the nozzle along the bed. I found it was better to drop the bed right down on the screws and then lift it up a bit at the time while moving the head to each corner. Once I got that figured, it worked fine.

Worth mentioning that it comes with a loose coil of filament which will tangle very easily. I wound it on to a spare spool so it worked fine then. Probably prudent to buy a roll of PLA filament at the same time as the printer so you can start with that instead.

I bought both mine from Box.co.uk since they consistently have the best prices and deliver next day. Their Steadytech PLA filament is decent stuff.
Old 16th March 2019, 01:20 AM

Good news MJ.
We've gone quiet on the 3D stuff. Thinking about something else based on the stuff we were planning on buying.
Agree with you that the hot end is the let down with the CR10, but we did not have any problems with the Z axis like you did.
I like the magnetic bed idea, might consider that for the CR10 if they do one big enough.
I've been putting up electric curtain rails in the house, fourth one due to be fitted this weekend.
But then we are rather occupied with the 56 plate 4.2TDI that I gave to Craig. I'm a soft touch, should have kept it for myself.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 16th March 2019, 04:38 AM

MJ - the Ender looks good value so good luck with it.
Ray - wish you were my dad as I could do with an A8/S8.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 16th March 2019, 08:41 AM

Having assembled the Ender myself I think I know why some CR-10s have the Z issue and some don't - there is quite a lot of play in the bolts which hold the two Z carriages to the X axis. If those two carriages are parallel to each other but just slightly off perpendicular to the X it will all want to sit slightly twisted. The steppers can hold it straight when they are powered, but as soon as they aren't it will jump back to the twist which is exactly what mine did.

When I put those two parts on the Ender I was very careful to get them as perpendicular as possible to the X axis, and the Ender doesn't show any twist at all, even with just a single Z rod. Its done a dozen prints now and I haven't had to touch the bed level at all. Just pop the build sheet off, bend it so the print pops off, put it back and start the next print. That's what the CR-10S should have been like! I guess I got a Friday afternoon build

I'm really stuck on what to put on the CR-10 as far as the extruder goes. Hotend will be an E3Dv6 since that's pretty much the benchmark. But, do I do a bowden with the existing extruder, bowden with a remote Titan extruder, a direct-drive Titan, a Titan Aero, or even a Flex3Drive extruder with E3D hotend

The Hypercube is getting the Flex3Drive without a doubt since that's the ideal solution to a light print head which can do flexibles. But, I'm not sure the CR-10 really needs that since it's speed limited by the big glass bed so a direct mounted Titan probably wouldn't slow it down at all.

I might just do a Flex3Drive on the CR-10 as well to see how it performs while I'm building the 'cube.

Just can't decide. Argh!
Old 16th March 2019, 01:37 PM

MJ, I'm watching you closely.
You are on the same song sheet as Craig and I.
We have too many balls in the air at the moment, can't do what we want 'cos of all the friends and relations that need favours.
I let Craig have tthe 4.2 because my 8 was bought for me by Gwen so I'm afraid I'll be running it until . . . . .

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 8th May 2019, 11:50 AM

Just ordered a magnetic build sheet for the CR10 as the UltraBase is no longer allowing the prints to stick so not getting good results at the moment.
Should arrive tomorrow so hoping it does what it says on the tin!!

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 8th May 2019, 01:20 PM

Funnily enough, I just replaced the magnetic build sheet on the Ender 3 as it had a levelling problem and trashed the original. The new (apparently genuine) Creality sheet sticks incredibly well, to the point where I'm having to peel PLA prints off with some force. I ordered a Wham Bam build plate for it instead which should be here in a week or two.

My Ultrabase got a bit frustrating too. There must be a solution to clean it, but I've not researched what it was. IPA didn't seem to help much.
Old 8th May 2019, 08:41 PM

I too found IPA to not be the answer.
Good luck with the Wham Bam plate

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 8th May 2019, 09:00 PM

I have to say I am liking the new Creality build-tak sheet - I've been printing solidly since the weekend and it's not had a single failure! Fine detail comes out perfect every time The only downside to it is that the magnet fails at 80 so you can't print ABS. I'm hoping the Wham Bam will solve that, but it had better stick as well as this build-tak
Old 6th August 2021, 11:12 AM

Reawakening a recently dormant thread on 3D printing, I can now see MJs next challenge...….

If the Dutch can 3D-print a whole 4.5 Tonne steel bridge, then surely nothing D2 is now beyond reach! https://www.newscientist.com/article...-in-amsterdam/
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!