A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 14th January 2019, 09:08 AM

Brim was used and went down OK.
Infill was 60% and used 1 mm wall thickness - probably both to much!

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 14th January 2019, 09:34 AM

That's weird. I'm printing parts for a Hypercube at the moment with 6 walls and 50% cubic infill and they are coming out fine.

I wonder if its because of the tall sections at each end with no fillets or bracing?
Old 14th January 2019, 10:50 AM

Inoticed the curve before the uprights were printed to be honest - it is strange.

I will redeisgn it and try again - this time it will be printed on its side!

Cheers

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 14th January 2019, 11:05 AM

It will be stronger printed on its side anyway since the bead of filament will be U shaped rather than flat. Also consider putting a fillet on the curves (like the inside ones) if possible as that causes the print head to change direction gradually which gives less ringing.

Actually, worth mentioning a print quality improvement trick I spotted in Cura, since we're sort of on the subject.

The CR-10S default jerk setting (how fast it changes direction) is 10. Cura tries to change jerk to 20-30 which increases ringing and reduces print quality. In Settings Visibility / Speed turn on 'Enable Jerk Control' and then uncheck the box in the print profile so Cura doesn't try to set the value higher than the printer can handle. A CoreXY like the Hypercube can change direction very quickly since its only moving the print head, but a cartesian machine like the CR-10 with the moving print bed just can't do that and it ends up just stretching the belt which shows in the print.
Old 14th January 2019, 11:37 AM

Great tips
Will give them a go and see how it performs.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 14th January 2019, 12:08 PM

Nice one MJ.
Give the cats a cuddle from me.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 14th January 2019, 08:37 PM

I'm running Cura on a MAC and that option doesn't appear to available (well not that I could find it....)

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 14th January 2019, 08:46 PM

Odd. I'll grab some screen shots later. There's a load of other things I've found so I'll probably put them all together in my thread
Old 14th January 2019, 10:55 PM

Cheers.
I noticed you have the none glass bed (is it the super plate?) - think I need one too. Where did you get it from and do you still need to use something on it to help the plastic stick?

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 15th January 2019, 08:47 AM

That's an Anycubic Ultrabase - about £40 from ebay. Its superb - doesn't need any tape or glue. Everything sticks to it, and pops off as it cools down.

The bed needs to be very level, and it needs a little squish on the first layer, so say a 0.15mm gap for an 0.2 first layer. I do the bed levelling with the bed hot and the nozzle cold and use a 0.05mm feeler gauge to set it up which is usually ok. Its fairly flat, but not perfect so it does sometimes need a little fine tuning on the first print after a re-level but then its fine for a while until I fiddle with something.

So far I've printed PLA, PETG, CPE, ABS and ASA on it. PLA and CPE are the only ones I've had nice prints from. The first PETG print came off halfway through as I had the fan too high and it warped, but with no fan it sticks fine but gives a horrible print. I need to find a happy medium there. ASA almost didn't come off at all ABS prints ok but warps horribly, ASA prints ok-ish but shows a lot of layer wobble which PLA doesn't do. I think I need to fiddle with the extrusion multiplier and temperatures for that.

I'm about to try some Nylon next, but I've read that likes to stick best to phenolic resin board (tufnol) so I've ordered a sheet of that instead.

My filament of choice is either Fillamentum or Protopasta btw. Quality is outstanding and Fillamentum have a huge range for very sensible prices. Protopasta are a bit esoteric - some amazing metallic colours and carbon-filled, PLA only, but high-temp which can be heat treated for strength and temperature resistance. I'm trying to work out how the shrinkage and warping can be mitigated so I can print hypercube parts with it.

Oh, and if you want something really special, Polyalchemy Elixir. Oh my, that's lovely stuff. Very weird to print with, but the finished items look like silk!