A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 30th January 2019, 11:50 PM

Default MMI Battery Gauge Stuck on 10%

I had a flat battery the other morning after a night shift, not sure if it was the driver's door handle or running VCDS the day before. 20 mins on fast charge and it was enough to start and get home by which time MMI was at 80%.
Went to bed and battery was flat again in the afternoon, so charged fully off the car. All was OK, but same again the next morning but battery gauge in MMI never moved off 10% even after 90 mins driving and finishing the charge on the charger with the charging post. I disconnected again to reboot the BEM. Still 10% after driving to work this evening, I brought my charger and 50m extension real this time, but just been out and tested an it was perfect. Still showing 10%. VCDS shows battery internal resistance 9OHM which doesn't sound right.

DO you think I fried the BEM - maybe try recoding as new battery or is it telling me the battery is junk status? Even though the battery is now fine (cranks really fast) , it is shutting stuff like the power boot and alarm off.
Old 31st January 2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
I had a flat battery the other morning after a night shift, not sure if it was the driver's door handle or running VCDS the day before. 20 mins on fast charge and it was enough to start and get home by which time MMI was at 80%.
Went to bed and battery was flat again in the afternoon, so charged fully off the car. All was OK, but same again the next morning but battery gauge in MMI never moved off 10% even after 90 mins driving and finishing the charge on the charger with the charging post. I disconnected again to reboot the BEM. Still 10% after driving to work this evening, I brought my charger and 50m extension real this time, but just been out and tested an it was perfect. Still showing 10%. VCDS shows battery internal resistance 9OHM which doesn't sound right.

DO you think I fried the BEM - maybe try recoding as new battery or is it telling me the battery is junk status? Even though the battery is now fine (cranks really fast) , it is shutting stuff like the power boot and alarm off.
I would try recoding as a new battery first by changing the last digit by 1, that will tell the BEM you have changed the battery and it will try to reset, I had issues with a D3 doing the same thing and all I've ever needed to do is that to correct it. Failing that I would change the BEM module unless youre aware of any drain possibility

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 31st January 2019, 09:46 AM

9Ω internal resistance is way too high so the battery monitor may be correct if it is reporting battery capacity rather than state of charge. It should be 1-2Ω really. 4-5 is a bit iffy.

Internal resistance is caused by lead sulphate crystals building up between the lead plates and causing tiny short circuits between the plates. As this happens there is less usable surface area to hold charge so while the battery may be at 12V and appear full to a charger, its actual charge capacity could be very low. It'll appear to be ok after a charge, but probably won't start the car in the morning. I have a couple of old batteries in the workshop like this so I keep one of them on a trickle charger so I can use it for jump-starting. If I take it off the charger it goes flat overnight on its own.

Smart chargers like the C-Teks have a desulphation stage which pulses AC in to the battery to dislodge the crystals, but they don't break down - they just pile up in the bottom of the battery casing. Eventually enough sludge will build up to touch the bottom of the lead plates and then they cause the same short circuits but on a larger scale, so desulphation can prolong the life of a battery, but not recover a terminal one.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 31st January 2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 31st January 2019, 11:48 AM

Thank you both so much. Would you know it, it did correct itself on it's own today.
Previously, even though the battery was full according to my charger and should be full as it had been charged so long, it stayed on 10% and the alternator output was high compared to uaual.

The alternator never charged it more than ~20A, neither did the external charger by much. I have used a clamp meter to test the current a lot.

I will check the internal resistance reading again when it has settles. It is an AGM battery, apparently they should be lower internal resistance than flooded cell, but mine has always been 4OHM.
Old 31st January 2019, 12:03 PM

Mmm yes AGM are supposed to prevent sulphation by virtue of having glass fibre between the lead plates which prevents the build up of the crystals.

It might be worth a trip to an indy garage to see if they can stick a battery tester on it to validate what VCDS is telling you. 4Ω is high according to my tester, but thats for conventional lead-acid. Not sure what the tolerance for AGM would be.
Old 31st January 2019, 02:26 PM

4Ω or 9Ω sounds unrealistically high to me, it should be well below 1Ω, more like 0.01Ω for discharging and 0.05Ω for charging.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 31st January 2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10th February 2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I would try recoding as a new battery first by changing the last digit by 1, that will tell the BEM you have changed the battery and it will try to reset, I had issues with a D3 doing the same thing and all I've ever needed to do is that to correct it. Failing that I would change the BEM module unless youre aware of any drain possibility
Hi guys! I have a bit of a problem with coding a new battery, cause some "brainiac" in the past entered some fishy BEM codes and I have the PART Number quite normal, but the SERIAL number is a mess "N311111111"

Dont know how they even got the car to accept this serial number but OK,

I have installed the Varta battery 110Ah, I didnt buy it at the dealership, the car is 2004 A8, 3.0 TDI,

Does anybody have some helpfull tips to how to make this right?

Thanks in advance,

Regards from Slovenia,
Old 10th February 2019, 03:19 PM

Yes, the part number is the important bit that tells the car the Ah of the battery and maybe other characteristics such as AGM.
The serial is irrelevant it just tells the BEM it has had a new battery when the serial number has changed from the previous value and doing so resets all the parameters. So they probably are a genius afterall.
What is your part number? Something like 4E0915105A is correct but first 3 digits may be 000.
For 95Ah AGM I would go with 3D0915105G which is for the VW Phaeton.

Last edited by snapdragon; 10th February 2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11th February 2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Yes, the part number is the important bit that tells the car the Ah of the battery and maybe other characteristics such as AGM.
The serial is irrelevant it just tells the BEM it has had a new battery when the serial number has changed from the previous value and doing so resets all the parameters. So they probably are a genius afterall.
What is your part number? Something like 4E0915105A is correct but first 3 digits may be 000.
For 95Ah AGM I would go with 3D0915105G which is for the VW Phaeton.
Thanks for the info

Yes, you are correct about the part number, it is exactly like you said

So, I leave the serial as is, but put in the part number 3D0915105G,

Eventhough it is a 110 Ah battery?

Regards,
Old 11th February 2019, 08:21 PM

No, leave the part number and change a digit in the serial number to tell the BEM a new battery has been fitted.
It is customary to add 1 to the serial, so N311111111 becomes N311111112

I was just giving the 3D0 part number as an example for an alternative battery.
You have a 110Ah lead acid so the current part number is correct.