A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 12th February 2019, 05:14 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
As you might expect Mark, I disagree with that analysis, for several key reasons (apart from the fact that the link is to an article that's nearly 4 years old ).

1. Energy peaks and changing dynamics in usage: as car owners switch to EVs, their modus operandi changes from "fill when you're empty" to "fill when convenient to". Smart technology for EVs helps with this, in lots of ways, from scheduling charging, using mobile apps to guide users to available charge points, accurate monitoring of range, etc, etc. Allied to which most of this energy usage is likely to be off-peak - e.g. overnight, whilst shopping in the evening/weekends, etc. This takes a while for ICE (and new EV!) owners to get their head around, but it happens, eventually.

2. Efficient storage: this in becoming much more common, whether at a local/individual level or at a macro level, and will continue to increase, further diluting the risk of "peak" issues. In addition, we've only just scratched the surface of the idea of using the cars themselves to "load balance" by feeding back into the grid, where required: that might sound far fetched, but is really no different in principle to the FIT approaches used at present.

3. Cabling and infrastructure: Whilst I agree some of this will be needed, it's hardly a showstopper for the grid. If you work on the (reasonable) assumption that a lot of the wind/wave power is remote/coastal, then that tends to be not far from where a lot of our current nuclear sites are - and will continue to be. The same applies to "point of use" infrastructure: if Tesla can install more than 10000 superchargers as a start-up, just imagine what the established players - who actually have some cash - could do.

4. The tipping of the Hydrocarbon vs "Clean Energy" end-to-end value chain: The full cost of the former is rising all the time (including, but not limited to, greater extraction cost - fracking anyone?), whereas the latter is falling exponentially, meaning that the economic tipping point for owners of refuelling has already arrived. In that context, Hybrids make no real sense to own and run, other than that they have been cheaper than "proper" range EVs - until the arrival of the Tesla Model 3/Hyundai Kona/Ionic/etc - which have been quite expensive to buy, though this article: (https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-own-run-study) in today's news quotes a survey that says EVs are already cheaper to own and run.

Hybrids on the other hand are, almost without exception, "compliance" cars designed and built to meet emissions standards/take advantage of tax breaks/mislead naive consumers on fuel efficiency, and are likely - as the article states - to be traded in for the "real thing" once owners get wise to this. This can already be seen in the poor resale values of such vehicles, which are falling almost as quickly as diesel car values in the more advanced car markets. And how is it sensible or efficient to have two forms of propulsion in one vehicle? it's a compromise, and a poor one at that.

So, if I was a betting man, I'd stick with EVs, all the way - sorry Mark.
No need to apologise Stephen. I'm not claiming to have all the facts. Just stating my thoughts on the issue (as I presently see it). I'm a man of science, so I enjoy a good debate. Please do tell me if any of my assumptions are wrong

Off-peak charging is a very good point. I hadn't considered that. But do we have sufficient off-peak energy available? I mean, are we not already offsetting peak usage to some degree with things like 'pumped hydroelectric energy storage'. And incentives such as 'Economy 7', for electricity consumers to use off-peak electricity for storage heaters, etc, must go some way towards balancing the demand. No doubt smart charging systems could take advantage of any remaining dips in demand and store the energy for later use, but will that really be enough? There's also storage efficiency to bear in mind. I don't know how efficient the latest energy storage systems are, but there will always be energy losses in the charging/discharging stages. I would be surprised if they manage any better than around 60-80% efficiency.

The BBC news article about the National Grid capacity is the newest info I could find (with just a quick search) but has the notable downward trend really been reversed in recent years? I suppose the switch to technologies such as LED lighting, for example, will have had some positive effects, but is that enough to offset our increasing use of technology and the energy needed to power it?

I'm very much pro-EV and I really do hope that we can 'make room' for EV charging by making use of off-peak electricity and reducing energy demands in other areas but how do the figures stack up? It would certainly be interesting to see a 5/10 year projection, comparing EV growth and energy requirements vs the available/surplus electrical energy capacity.

I'm confident we can solve all the technical challenges over time, I'm just not sure we can solve them quickly enough to make the leap from ICE to EV as quickly as we perhaps need to, but I remain open to persuasion if there's good evidence to indicate that we have sufficient surplus electrical energy to accommodate the huge demand of charging millions of EVs. In the absence of such evidence my money would still be on hybrid vehicles continuing to bridge the gap in the short-term.

I think one way forward might be hybrid vehicles that use small combustion engines purely to charge the batteries. I drove a brand new Prius recently and I was actually quite surprised how good they are. Ugliness and mini-cab associations aside, they do drive well and, with the help of regenerative braking, they're extremely efficient. The Prius of course sits half way between being an ICE car and and EV, with a small engine supplementing the electric motor and making up for the lack of battery range. They have some of the advantages of both ICE cars and EVs but most of the disadvantages too.

I think it would be better to go full-EV (like the Teslas) but provide a small on-board generator for charging the batteries instead of an engine. Such a generator could run on fuels that are much more environmentally-friendly and it could even be made removable/optional. One way to give the vehicle wider appeal would be to use a removable, modular battery section. If you had say 20% of the battery that was removable, which could be replaced with a generator for those that need/want to be able to charge their batteries on the move. Anyone who doesn't need/want the generator could instead remove it and plug in the battery extension for a greater range.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 12th February 2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I was reading about the new generation of 450KW charging stations recently and it just blew my mind. Most EVs appear to have 400V battery systems, so thats a charge current of over 1000 amps It needs a liquid-cooled connector which is just mental. If that much power escapes it will happily vapourise any inadvertently-connected human and pretty much anything else which is in the way. Its an entirely new paradigm to have that much elastictrickery in the hands of the general public so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Also worth pondering - a typical 11KV local substation has a total rating of 1MW, so basically two of those chargers! To put half a dozen of them at a service station, Tesla-style, you'd need a dedicated 132KV industrial supply line and associated (large) substation. Ironically, that might be fine in the countryside where there's plenty of space and you can run new power poles, but getting that sort of juice in cities is going to be a real challenge. Its entirely likely chargers of this type will have to be one-to-a-site simply because there isn't enough infrastructure to support more, which backs up the queues for chargers scenario.

Interesting times
Wow!

I hadn't actually done the maths and I was thinking 450KW would probably be enough to charge many cars simultaneously. Still, it should be sufficient to charge a few cars simultaneously at slower charging rates.

I don't know what the charging rate of a typical EV is but, if we take a Tesla P100D, for example, which I believe has a 100kWh battery pack, it would take 100kW of energy for one hour to fully recharge it. Assuming a 400 volt battery pack, that's a 'mere' 250 amps!

Of course if you want to charge the same battery in 15 minutes (do any EVs charge that fast yet?) that would be 400kW @ 1000 amps!

At the other end of the scale, if my maths is correct, you could charge the same battery pack overnight (say 10 hours) using 10kW @ 25 amps, which would theoretically allow simultaneous charging of 45 cars from a 450kW supply.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 12th February 2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12th February 2019, 08:18 PM

I know I am a Luddite when it comes to EVs, and this kinda sums it up for me

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...wkaAomfvkplIBU

How can they build something as lovely as that and ruin it by not fitting the V8 in it..we live in sad times indeed IMHO. If I ever have grandkids (unlikely really)
they will never experience the raw noise of a V12, V10 or V8 and I think that's rather sad.

(just away to find my flameproof suit)

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 12th February 2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
How can they build something as lovely as that and ruin it by not fitting the V8 in it..we live in sad times indeed IMHO. If I ever have grandkids (unlikely really)
they will never experience the raw noise of a V12, V10 or V8 and I think that's rather sad.

(just away to find my flameproof suit)
V8/10/12 engines are like steam trains: utterly lovely, but with no future (runs for cover in a flameproof suit to an underground bunker not marked on the map... ).

That doesn't make me particularly happy either as an individual who loves his V8 (more than steam trains ) but progress is progress, and I love my Tesla just as much as my stunningly lovely S8, and - on balance - it is better at what it's supposed to do.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 12th February 2019, 08:40 PM

The 450KW is a single charger for a single vehicle https://www.electrive.com/2018/12/13...ing-at-450-kw/

At 450KW they can give 60 miles range in 3 minutes, which is a game changer for long journeys. Stop for a coffee for ten minutes and you have another 200 miles of range.

Given the infrastructure required to do this I expect we will see a hybrid approach where these things only exist at motorway services where there is room for the kit, and charging at home is done overnight at lower rates.
Old 12th February 2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
- on balance - it is better at what it's supposed to do.
ah that's where we disagree, it's not quite there yet

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 12th February 2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
V8/10/12 engines are like steam trains: utterly lovely, but with no future (runs for cover in a flameproof suit to an underground bunker not marked on the map... ).

That vill no safe you.
Ve knowing whoe the Manchester Bunker ist!!

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 12th February 2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
I know I am a Luddite when it comes to EVs, and this kinda sums it up for me

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...wkaAomfvkplIBU

I know exactly what you mean Brian.

For me it's not just the sound. It's the power, the science, the engineering achievement and the thought of all those precisely machined parts moving in perfect harmony, at an incredible rate. And it's the awe I feel from seeing all of that in an engine large enough to accelerate a great deal of weight very quickly.

But I get all of that by experiencing a powerful EV too, just in a very different way. As the electricity rushes into those powerful motors and they urgently whir into life, rapidly accelerating the car with such force, it's still a thrilling sound to hear. The moving parts are fewer but I feel a similar sense of awe and achievement thinking about the electronics and computations that are making it all happen (but I'm an electronics engineer so maybe that's just me).

What I'm trying to say is that one does not replace the other for me. I like big engines and fast EVs for similar, yet quite different, reasons.

And I don't think your grandkids or mine (even less likely since I don't even kids!) wouldn't really need to miss out on the V8/10/12 experience. They may never know what it's like to drive one on a daily basis but I suspect there will always be plenty of combustion-engined vehicles preserved for posterity.

As Stephen implies, our V8/10/12s are the steam trains of the future, and steam trains have never really gone away (not for me anyway; I live less than a mile from the East Lancs steam railway so I hear them most days!). And personally, in much the same way, I find a modern high-speed train just as thrilling to watch as an old powerful steam locomotive.

Cars Owned:

Last edited by moltuae; 12th February 2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 13th February 2019, 03:13 PM

Tesla might need to put longer cords on their chargers

Old 19th February 2019, 11:04 PM

Does anyone know if the cable is giving out DC or AC?
Is the charger (AC-DC) in the car itself or in the lectern box?

It doesn't matter if there is not enough wind or sun, there is an acre of row upon row of diesel generators at a secret location near me run by https://www.greenfrogpower.co.uk/maintenance powering the EV hargers.