A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 22nd August 2012, 08:09 PM

Question Interior Lighting / LEDs

Hi guys
I haven't seen anyone attempting this sort of 'upgrade', but I'm sure somewhere there deep inside you all agree that interior lighting in D3s is very very outdated and very sad, that yellow light was just driving me crazy for years.

When I started my research long time ago I came across many opinions:
1) you will get an error on the dashboard as soon you replace a standard 501 bulb with led because of complicated CAN-BUS wiring.
2) it will require a lot of soldering (resistors) or playing with electrics if you want to use ready resistors and crimps.
3) putting LEDs is very chavy, boy racer style and it looks silly.

Last week I've done some additional research about error free LEDs, made purchase (2 lots of 2 different types of leds, 40 in total) and I went for it last night to check it for my self as now of the above really make sense.

Final verdict: 1) NO, 2) NO and 3) I hope not

Bulb error on the dashboard? no way, how comes? I unplugged one of the existing bulbs and......nothing, obvioulsy !!!! CAN-BUS is a complicated wiring but mainly on the outside lighting side.
The problem you will come across with interior lighting is that some of the lights will flickers (1 or 2) and 2 of them wont come on at all, that's when you replace all the bulbs and only if you go with this type of LEDs:

BUT, if you use one of them all way round then all issues with previous LEDs are gone completely:

Everyone who sells them likes to call them Error free LED, b*****t. They all comes with errors when used on exterior lighting and to stop this you will have to plug in a proper build quality 10w resistor for example when you are replacing sidelight.
As there is no warning lights or errors on the dashboard for interior lighting the whole job becomes straight forward as long you use the second type thanks to extra built-in resistors which stops them from flickering or not coming on.

It's simple as that, unplug the old, plug in the new one (2nd type).
Cost: £16.00
LEDs required: 16
Type: 501 type (all of them)

4x Front dome and map
4x Rear dome and map
4x Doors courtesy lights
3x Boot
1x Glovebox

Footwells and door storage compartments they've got LEDs already. So why not go with LEDs all the way, why Audi?

Tricky bits:
- front maps (mirror) - very fiddly, but doable
- rear map - you have to actually unscrew the whole light unit, nothing serious, take the domes out, unplug the bulbs, then you will find 2x star screws, when undone pry from side and it's off. job done.

The dim option will still work when locking and unlocking car.

Pry domes always from the front of the car side. Rear ones sits really tight and they coming off in two stages. But be careful.

Best tool: for some of them standard prying tools for mobile phones, BUT a standard cutlery knife will do the whole job, usual they have no sharp edges, round end but must be fairly thin, not a butcher type one.
No damage at all, and trust me I'm very pedantic on thing like that.

Final effect: (chavy????)
please share your thought, your honest opinion.
Transformation is incredible, the whole interior looks like never before in the dark/evening.
Everything is so clear and crisp.
Does it mean that it's chavy??

WHY stick to yellow????

Problem, best effect when dark, camera used, iphone 4s-not good at all to take night shots, but at least you will get an idea.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 22nd August 2012, 08:29 PM

Another shot from a different angle taken couple of minutes ago

They can be even brighter than that, its just the picture quality is very ****, but it also depends if you want your car looks very ..... nice, or like a lighthouse.

You can use the same bulb but with 5x 5050smd chips/leds which are twice bigger, more light instead of 8x small leds per bulb.

Whichever way you go the bulb size is the same.

I hope I didn't bored anyone to death and its not something what you have discussed long time ago because I will look like a fool then

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 22nd August 2012, 08:32 PM

The previous owner of my TDI swapped most, if not all of the interior bulbs for LED, looks much nicer, and the boot light is actually usable

I know.. I know..

Old 22nd August 2012, 08:42 PM

did all the interior on my D2 (apart from the red ones) after seeing on Darren's at last years annual meet, and I think its much better, and must be easy if a hamfisted numpty like me can manage it

Oh and welcome to the forum from me too

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 22nd August 2012, 08:59 PM

Pretty much done all of my D2 as well - documented here very recently.
I did the front map lights the other day but not sure I posted photos at night....

In fact today I updated the puddle light bulbs somewhat to brighter, whiter LED's. I now use the newer yellow-looking (when off) SMD type and have a few spares of the older "bead" type as shown above.

Just need to investigate the numberplate bulbs now - bolts look a bit corroded.
(front sidelights I'm leaving, they're a pig to get at inside the cluster)

This is a picture from the front now, sorry about the cheap phone camera...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fromfront.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	4595  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 22nd August 2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 13th January 2014, 08:51 AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but are these types of LEDs dimmable?

i.e. will all the mood lighting settings in the MMI still work as before (like when you unlock the car, the interior lights fade on) or are they only able to be flicked ON or OFF?
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 13th January 2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but are these types of LEDs dimmable?

i.e. will all the mood lighting settings in the MMI still work as before (like when you unlock the car, the interior lights fade on) or are they only able to be flicked ON or OFF?
Yes, but you may notice a flicker when dimmed, as they use pulse width modulation. that means power is turned on and off very fast, you don't notice on incandescents, but some notice it on LEDs. The D4 has LEDs as standard and these also flicker which I think is a bit bad.
Old 27th October 2014, 07:28 PM

Default Interior Lighting / LEDs

I have already done the puddle lights
Amazon.com will not allow these leds to be shipped outside the US.
I found the same thing on "www.chinabuye.com"
Just copy the description "Best Plus T10 6w 12-smd 2835 LED White Light Car Steering Lamps (Dc 12v / Pair)" and paste it in the Chinabuye search box.
I have just ordered another bagful to finish off my motor.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:09 PM
Banned

I did both d3s not long back very satisfying mod. Really lifts the interior . No camera will ever capture how nice it looks that's why I didn't bother posting them. Great Audi puddle lights for 15 quid on ebay too
Old 1st November 2014, 08:52 PM

God bless the chinese.