A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Spotless

Spotless For all your cleaning discussions....

Old 25th March 2013, 02:54 PM

Thumbs up

I've been running one of these for several years:

http://consumer.nilfisk.co.uk/Produc...roduction.aspx

Been excellent - very robust, did lots of research. Wish I'd spent a bit more and got the roll up hose version. Great for patio as well....even the upturned frying pan attachment...

Apparently it's all about the flow rate - ignore the kW rating of the motors. Nilfisk all seem to have good flow. I read lots of stories about poor reliabilty of Karcher (may just have been internet scare-mongering)

Comes with a foam blower thing, which is adequate for my needs but I'm sure the flashy brass ones out there are better.

Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 25th March 2013, 03:19 PM

The biggest difference between budget and professional washers is that budget ones use metal pump which will wear out and professionals use ceramic pump which will last forever unless you use dirty water. Then there is obviously pressure and flowrate as well as general quality.

As far as the Karcher goes budget versions are quite crappy and professional are quite good. I use to work in farms in Denmark where had use of variety of professional grade cold and diesel heated washers. Karcher and KEW seemed to most favoured there. They also had some less known Danish made washers that I do not remember make off they were good too but quite expensive.

I recently bought this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nilfisk-C1...item4ac2b35717 which includes variable spray head, rotating blaster head, patio cleaner, pipe/drain cleaner hose and foam sprayer.

Got it with £80 Best Offer and is is quite good for the money I paid. Only complaint would be that in patio washer mode it's quite short so you need to bend down but I am sure there must be extension available.

Also I recommend using filter for water intake so that rust or limescale particles does not get in pump and damage it.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 25th March 2013, 04:27 PM

I'd also go with Nilfisk over Karcher - I had two of the latter, and both failed weeks after the guarantee expired . The Nilfisk seems better, but it's not out of it's guarantee yet...
Old 25th March 2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Better earlier than later

Whilst I support the view that if you buy cheap you end up buying twice, there has to be compromise - which doent need to involve getting rid of SWMBO . Karcher dont have such a good name on many internet reviews by buyers. Nilfisk, Bosch and Stihl all seem to produce reasonable quality washers and though I havent read reviews of Stihl i would put my money on them IF the gear is produced in Germany. I have a Stihl chainsaw and headgecutter and they are the best. ( I have tried others). The mid range power washer RE118 looks to be OK by the tech description.
Old 25th March 2013, 05:31 PM

+1 on Nilfisk at the cheaper end - I've got one with the roll up hose and it does allow you to get round the '8 without moving the pressure washer around. You need to budget for the car spraying nossle so it's not too high a pressure. I also have the angled head which is great for cleaning the underside of the car. The wheel cleaning brush is a waste of time. Patio attachment is OK.

Note that the cheaper the Nilfisk you buy the shorter the spray arm is and the more flimsy it feels. My dad has a really cheap one from a Screwfix offer and it works pretty well but you can feel and see why it's that bit cheaper than mine.

I'm very happy with my snow foam attachment from here:

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalo..._Lance_1L.html

I use one of the Valet Pro 5l snow foams and it seems to work really well.

ETA - this is mine:

http://consumer.nilfisk.co.uk/Produc...roduction.aspx

Don't bother with their 'pro' consumer range - it uses the attachments for their proper hot water washers which cost a fortune but don't otherwise offer any benefit over the Excellent range

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC

Last edited by Adrian E; 25th March 2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 25th March 2013, 05:43 PM

+1 for the Karcher dirtbuster lance...

Though, half the time I pop down to my mate's yard who has a heated pressure washer

I know.. I know..

Old 29th March 2013, 06:25 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Now here's a real basic question: what's the water supply? Is it a hose or a reservoir?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 29th March 2013, 06:46 AM

Depends if your current water supply can deliver liters/minute that your pressure washer needs. You will kill your pressure washer if water supply is not performant enough. Serious pressure washers come with 'auto stop' system that will switch pressure washer off if it detects shortage in water supply.

I have 650 liter tank.
Old 29th March 2013, 07:55 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Now I think about it, if your water supply delivered water at the flow rate required, you wouldn't need a pressure washer would you?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 29th March 2013, 10:15 AM

If your water supply is the pressure washer itself -- of course

It is not just the flow rate in litters/minute, which you can think of as 'mass'. It is also the 'speed' of water. Both mass **and** speed matters.

Last edited by notorious; 29th March 2013 at 10:18 AM.